Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 10, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #496 of 4,994

Quote:
Haha it really sucks that I didn't use them and write about them... I literally just bought them and Marty made me an offer I couldn't refuse.. thank you for taking them off my hands, I was worried they'd never sell at that price... I paid more than that if you couldn't tell.
Apparently they're Ohrenholtz, I was missing an extra "H".

The guy I talked to was rather nice and had lots of time to discuss his project and how he makes his stuff and why things cost the way they do with these cups and I completely understand now. I was protesting Marty's price bump for a while but honestly you need to only open the package and see the work that goes into these to understand why things cost the way they do :)

Anyway I'm thinking about buying another pair of V4's and getting some shroom cups from Marty out of some "Silky" in the future. Us MOT's gotta support each other!

silky is so sexy.. for real

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #497 of 4,994
Just received my Manung V4's (complete converted) today,  as they are breaking in I noticed an opportunity for a slight mod.  With my old V2 lites there was a slight gap between the driver edge and the liner.   With the V4's the rim on the driver is painted white now instead of black,  and I noticed a small gap arounf the driver rim as it sits in the sleeve.  Now I know from speaker design that this is a no-no.   I can't tell  if this is part of the design or a tolerance issue,  but it may explain way strat and others are liking the woodies with a tight fit to the cup.

A simple mode may be to fill in this gap even on the stock magnum V4's?

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #498 of 4,994

Quote:
A simple mode may be to fill in this gap even on the stock magnum V4's?

In those situations, I tend to like to use small thin cut strips (3/8") of electrical tape.  I wrap the tape around the diameter of the driver so that it will work to fill the void and make a tight fit.  I'll usually wrap a few layers, then perform a test fit.  If it needs more, I'll add more.  

I'm stuck waiting on my replacements for my 2nd pair of Magnums from Rhydon.  The solder tab was torn off by the headphone cable wire.  I sent the drivers and then sent enough to cover another set of drivers + shipping so he could cross ship and we could settle up when the bad driver reached him.  No word from this past week.  I guess he's been busy?

Fortunately, I have a current pair of Magnums to keep me occupied, but I'm kind of motivated in moving forward with the next set to go into some fresh cups from Marty.  I'll have to say, the O2 amp is doing a fine job of driving the Magnums.  I'm moving back and forth between my Walkman and Sansa as sources, with LOD cables  to check the variation in sound.  So sweet.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #499 of 4,994

Quote:
In those situations, I tend to like to use small thin cut strips (3/8") of electrical tape.  I wrap the tape around the diameter of the driver so that it will work to fill the void and make a tight fit.  I'll usually wrap a few layers, then perform a test fit.  If it needs more, I'll add more.  

I'm stuck waiting on my replacements for my 2nd pair of Magnums from Rhydon.  The solder tab was torn off by the headphone cable wire.  I sent the drivers and then sent enough to cover another set of drivers + shipping so he could cross ship and we could settle up when the bad driver reached him.  No word from this past week.  I guess he's been busy?

Fortunately, I have a current pair of Magnums to keep me occupied, but I'm kind of motivated in moving forward with the next set to go into some fresh cups from Marty.  I'll have to say, the O2 amp is doing a fine job of driving the Magnums.  I'm moving back and forth between my Walkman and Sansa as sources, with LOD cables  to check the variation in sound.  So sweet.

Rhydon has seemed a bit busy indeed.

I'm glad to see that you are liking the O2 :)

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #501 of 4,994
Just wait until they break in

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #503 of 4,994
Nice write up, I can appreciate the differences in different wood as well. My drivers are just over 120hrs now... I heard a change around 24hrs, but not much since then FWIW. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #504 of 4,994

Quote:
have you heard changes? or are you just assuming/hoping? Do you feel it's of no value to comment on headphones before they settle in?

I have indeed. They have certainly changed from the very beginning. Rather quickly, I feel they definitely improved in 24 hours like markkr. After that point, I think they are gradually getting nicer, but I can't promise that. Rhydon said to give them at least 2 weeks, 3 weeks to be sure. 

I am very confident saying that the drivers definitely improve after a while. That "congestion" you are getting should go away and everything will just kinda fall together really nicely. Give em a bit, I'm sure you will be singing the same tune as me. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #505 of 4,994
When I first read the start of that post and saw the word "Maggies" - I thought Magnepans.  How can those "Maggies" work in Grado cups.  Then, d'oh, I realized where things were going.  In regards to wood, I can't comment beyond the Iroko, yet.  However, the Iroko is not creating any congestion in the sound I hear - just lots of beauty.  As far as the Mahogany goes, I do have the cups but it will probably be next Saturday when the drivers for those arrive so I can mount them and break them in for use.  In regards to cable, I'm using the Canare quad for my headphones.  I was going to jump on the Mogami, but had a slight change of thought at the last minute.  The plugs are Neutrik, though.

In any regard, I still feel as though I've hit a pinnacle in audio.  A high point of satisfaction has been reached.  This was a long process for me.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #506 of 4,994

Quote:
When I first read the start of that post and saw the word "Maggies" - I thought Magnepans.  How can those "Maggies" work in Grado cups.  Then, d'oh, I realized where things were going.  In regards to wood, I can't comment beyond the Iroko, yet.  However, the Iroko is not creating any congestion in the sound I hear - just lots of beauty.  As far as the Mahogany goes, I do have the cups but it will probably be next Saturday when the drivers for those arrive so I can mount them and break them in for use.  In regards to cable, I'm using the Canare quad for my headphones.  I was going to jump on the Mogami, but had a slight change of thought at the last minute.  The plugs are Neutrik, though.

In any regard, I still feel as though I've hit a pinnacle in audio.  A high point of satisfaction has been reached.  This was a long process for me.

Wayne have you heard LCD-2's? These can put up a serious fight against those on a good day.. the recessed treble (actually considered neutral) makes it an engaging experience for when you want to listen louder without frying your eardrums, but I have always leaned towards more for a treble focus with a very solid midrange for backup. The LCD-2 is a lot of upper midbass impact for me accompanied by with strong bottom end. It lacks the exciting treble for me... even though the sound is better I just wish it did some things that Grados seem to do. I haven't heard the LCD-3 yet though.

Not only are these cooler but Mags have plenty of merits to keep them running side by side with LCD-2's... how they scale with good amplication is a different matter though... since I feel that Grados hit a ceiling with solid state amps a lot sooner than other cans.

Dec 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #508 of 4,994

Quote:
Wayne have you heard LCD-2's? These can put up a serious fight against those on a good day.. the recessed treble (actually considered neutral) makes it an engaging experience for when you want to listen louder without frying your eardrums, but I have always leaned towards more for a treble focus with a very solid midrange for backup. The LCD-2 is a lot of upper midbass impact for me accompanied by with strong bottom end. It lacks the exciting treble for me... even though the sound is better I just wish it did some things that Grados seem to do. I haven't heard the LCD-3 yet though.

Not only are these cooler but Mags have plenty of merits to keep them running side by side with LCD-2's... how they scale with good amplication is a different matter though... since I feel that Grados hit a ceiling with solid state amps a lot sooner than other cans.

I think they smash the LCD-2, I don't remember being very impressed by the LCD-2s when I demoed them and much prefer my Magnums even though my source is far inferior (Fiio E10 VS Beyer A1). The LCD-3 on another hand.. whole different beast. I was also very impressed by the HD800, both of which (by merit of the physical construction design) have a far more engaging sound because it simply seems so much more spacious. I attribute that quality to the fact that the speakers are practically around your ears, instead of the way the magnums simply rest on top of the ears. Has anyone ever considered pushing the drivers INTO the cup say by a centimeter or so to imitate spacers, actually? I was just thinking about how that could simulate a more spacious sound.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #510 of 4,994
Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that I acquired the magnum V4 drivers and installed them into bloodwood cups turned by martin custom audio. They sound amazing but my only source is my phone, so I think I'm going to sell them and stay portable until I can invest in a full desktop setup. If you are interested here is a shameless plug for my for sale thread. Cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back