Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 30, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #4,981 of 4,994
First post here in ages...

I just finished putting together a pair of what are essentially GS3000e knock-offs. I picked up a housing on eBay that included cups, gimbals, the headband... Basically everything but the drivers and cable. They are very good quality for what they are, with only some minor tells that they're not authentic. I went with the Earphone DIY Labs GS3000e 50mm drivers in the Grado cover/housing. I finished it off with a braided cable.

Grado GS3000e Knock-Offs.jpg

I no longer have any Grados to do a direct comparison, but considering what I have into them, I'm very happy paired with either my Millett Hybrid or Lunchbox II. I'm toying with modifying the drivers to see if I can get a little more low end, but am hesitant to do too much since they're quite good as they are. If anyone has experience with these drivers, I'd be interested in hearing more. Each driver had two pair of the back holes opened up, and I'm not sure if I want to open up a third.

May 6, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #4,982 of 4,994
Anyone try the Beautiful Audio pads with the Symphones V9 drivers?

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #4,985 of 4,994
Has Rhydon given up making drivers? His web site seems to have expired.

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #4,988 of 4,994
I actually did a set of wood inserts with metal cups a while back for another member. Even though I wouldn't have built it if he didn't want them (I reached out to him because I wanted to just build some phones but didn't have the cash), I really regret selling those.

I would still run into those phones once in a while during meets as I would ask him to bring them, and those things are great. Of all the track style headphones I've heard, I would say they are the second best after the HP1000. They were that good.

It was a cocobolo wood inserts with the sr325 goodies, the sound was smooth and musical. The aluminum inserts were more analytical and detailed, but some may find it too cold. The full woodies are nice and smooth, but they are too smooth for my tastes. I haven't tried the aluminum I with wood cups yet, but would love to one day.

@ambchang - Raising this question from the freaking dead, but I'm just beginning my journey into modding my Grado SR-80e. Did you ever manage to try aluminum sleeves with wood cups? I'm interested in whether there is a significant difference in sound between the stock plastic sleeves vs. aluminum sleeves. Now EarphoneDIYLabs offers aluminum sleeves: http://www.earphonediylabs.com/shop...es-of-44mm-driver-units-1-pair-2-pcs/#reviews

If there's really not much difference, then I'd rather not mess with trying to pry apart the drivers from the plastic sleeve. But if aluminum sleeves improve the clarity, detail, and tightness of the sound, I'd ideally like to match some wooden cups with those aluminum sleeves. Appreciate your feedback!

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #4,989 of 4,994
Sorry my man. Still just aluminum sleeves with aluminum cups. I’m happy with them at the moment and no time to do any headphone building modding in a long time.

They sound different than the full woodies i had back in the day where I felt the woodies to be more soothing and musical and the aluminums cleaner and brighter.

Shockingly I don’t remember too much from the wooden sleeves with aluminum cups as it was more than a decade ago but I still remember regretting letting it go. I don’t even remember clearly but perhaps it was the best of both worlds or something like that but I can’t remember much, old age setting in.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #4,990 of 4,994
@Rhydon - thank you and I hope you sell out. @Currawong - you thinking trying the V9 out while it is on sale?

Rhydon, I still have my 3-D printed housings which have V7 drivers in them. Is that cup more suitable or is my full metal jacket a better option? Still a V3->V4 OG in there.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #4,991 of 4,994
@Rhydon - thank you and I hope you sell out. @Currawong - you thinking trying the V9 out while it is on sale?

Rhydon, I still have my 3-D printed housings which have V7 drivers in them. Is that cup more suitable or is my full metal jacket a better option? Still a V3->V4 OG in there.
You should be ok either way. V9's have a gasket that allow some flexibility in cup mounting- gives a lot more freedom vs the old v1-v8 rigid mount.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #4,992 of 4,994
Nov 22, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #4,993 of 4,994
100% Agree. They already sit. Just thinking my V7 could be upgraded and give that 3D printed chassis a second life. Poor life choices 101 - right here. :D

I'll let you know how they sound :wink:

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,994 of 4,994
I’ve had these V9’s for some time in a well damped 3d printed wood housing.
I went many years with them sitting on the shelf as I found them unbalanced and a little too bright and fatiguing.

But that all changed when I bought the 100mm angled velour / leather pads with adapters from Aliexpress.

Balanced, spacious and smooth.

The all leather was too bassy and muddy, non angled pads my ears pressed against the mesh.
Angled velour / hybrid pads made these light comfortable pleasing headphones.

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4743.jpeg
    IMG_4743.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4744.jpeg
    IMG_4744.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4745.jpeg
    IMG_4745.jpeg