Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 9, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #4,967 of 4,994
DIY earphone labs Grado drivers intrigue me. I was wondering if I could build a similar sounding set as the Hemps with the Hemps drivers and different cups. I have a 3D printer and really want to design and print the cups out of PLA/PEGT plastic, mostly just for the look. Alternatively, wood cups from the same supplier or can also printed with wood filaments are also quit easily and cheaply obtainable.

I was wondering if others have experiences regarding sound change due to housing change, especially the Hemp. The exact hemp cup will be impossible to achieve DIY. Given that woodie mod for SR series is pretty common, I was wondering if there's a significant sound signature change because of the material. I am aiming for >95% similar sound instead of exact since sample variance, pad rolling, and other factors making the exact sound for Grados not that important.

Additionally, how much does the geometry of the cup matter. Most (wood) designs I have seen are just a cylindrical chamber. I have a pair of MS1i. The variation from the original, compact version is that the chamber got longer and wider towards the end. Other than that, is it safe to assume that following this pattern for the cup is sufficient to isolate geometry from being a variable influencing the sound?

P.S. I am new to this. It's a bit daunting not having references in terms of the original or charts when doing DIY.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #4,968 of 4,994
I am selling my grado hemp modded with detachable cable and ps1000e if anyone is interested.

18FA8563-C8FE-422A-AC94-79D2439EA2EE.jpeg

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #4,970 of 4,994
How about a little review.
My hemp drivers were destroyed in the process of detachable cable mod and I didn't get much time with the stock hemp drivers, but from memory the ps1000e drivers sounds more clean, more forward mids.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,972 of 4,994
I purchased the Hemp drivers and I separately purchased the turbomesh grill covers from Symphones. The two pieces worked together perfectly and fit well in my custom cups. To me these sound very much like Hemps but not EXACTLY how I remember the Hemp (wish I had a pair to compare back and forth). I can't help but wonder how much effect the "destressing" goop that Grado applies to diaphragm has on the sound.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,974 of 4,994

I was wondering if others have experiences regarding sound change due to housing change, from the original,
DIY earphone labs Grado drivers intrigue me. I was wondering if I could build a similar sounding set as the Hemps with the Hemps drivers and different cups. I have a 3D printer and really want to design and print the cups out of PLA/PEGT plastic, mostly just for the look. Alternatively, wood cups from the same supplier or can also printed with wood filaments are also quit easily and cheaply obtainable.

I was wondering if others have experiences regarding sound change due to housing change, especially the Hemp. The exact hemp cup will be impossible to achieve DIY. Given that woodie mod for SR series is pretty common, I was wondering if there's a significant sound signature change because of the material. I am aiming for >95% similar sound instead of exact since sample variance, pad rolling, and other factors making the exact sound for Grados not that important.

Additionally, how much does the geometry of the cup matter. Most (wood) designs I have seen are just a cylindrical chamber. I have a pair of MS1i. The variation from the original, compact version is that the chamber got longer and wider towards the end. Other than that, is it safe to assume that following this pattern for the cup is sufficient to isolate geometry from being a variable influencing the sound?

P.S. I am new to this. It's a bit daunting not having references in terms of the original or charts when doing DIY.

DIY

I was wondering if others have experiences regarding sound change due to housing change,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-great-grado-experiment-4-tonewoods-tested-more-to-come.686212/

All the pictures are gone...........too bad.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #4,975 of 4,994
Can anyone comment on the earphonediylabs Grado drivers? The PS and GS series drivers are tempting and would be curious if anybody has any impressions. Thanks!

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,976 of 4,994
Can anyone comment on the earphonediylabs Grado drivers? The PS and GS series drivers are tempting and would be curious if anybody has any impressions. Thanks!

Got a pair of their "original" PS1000e drivers, sorry but they are nowhere near the sound, pair matching and build quality of Magnum or Elleven Acoustica offerings, plus, you need to make some sort of protective shell to use them, these are 44mm raw drivers and most cups are designed to accept 46mm overall diameter drivers.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #4,978 of 4,994

I too want to see more of these and get an idea of a direct comparison. The idea would be to grab parts from various vendors to build a custom grado with the hemp drivers.
I purchased the Hemp drivers and I separately purchased the turbomesh grill covers from Symphones. The two pieces worked together perfectly and fit well in my custom cups. To me these sound very much like Hemps but not EXACTLY how I remember the Hemp (wish I had a pair to compare back and forth). I can't help but wonder how much effect the "destressing" goop that Grado applies to diaphragm has on the sound.
This is a good start. We need more reviews like this to get an idea if we can build a higher quality version of the hemp. Do you have any pics of your build?

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #4,979 of 4,994
I too want to see more of these and get an idea of a direct comparison. The idea would be to grab parts from various vendors to build a custom grado with the hemp drivers.

This is a good start. We need more reviews like this to get an idea if we can build a higher quality version of the hemp. Do you have any pics of your build?
I’ve used 3d printed wood cups for my V9 drivers. Not sure of its the material or what but have not been happy with the sound. I have also added felt and damping material to the inside but hasn’t seemed to tame the fatigue.

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,980 of 4,994
For my custom Hemp build, I placed a disc of drawer liner up against the inside of the metal mesh grills. Improves the sound significantly IMO. The best Grado-style headphone I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back