Grado modders go Magnum
May 26, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #4,936 of 4,994
I used a heat gun to melt the glue and melted the driver in the process. A very bad move. I tried to ask again if they can just not glue the drivers in but they refuse to. I came across this site but not sure if its legit. Anyone has experience with this site?

https://earphonediylabs.com/product-category/headphone-drivers/

May 26, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #4,937 of 4,994
I used a heat gun to melt the glue and melted the driver in the process. A very bad move. I tried to ask again if they can just not glue the drivers in but they refuse to. I came across this site but not sure if its legit. Anyone has experience with this site?

https://earphonediylabs.com/product-category/headphone-drivers/
A lot of people on reddit's /DIYheadphone community use them. I just placed an order from earphonediylabs yesterday for parts to fix up my old SR60's. I was even thinking about buying some Grado Hemp drivers from them. But, was going to see how my first order went before placing another.

May 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #4,938 of 4,994
I see that they do have the hemp drivers and also ps1000e drivers. I wonder if the ps1000e driver are worth upgrading over the hemp drivers.

May 26, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #4,939 of 4,994
I see that they do have the hemp drivers and also ps1000e drivers. I wonder if the ps1000e driver are worth upgrading over the hemp drivers.
I'm not really sure. I only own a lowly pair of SR60's. But, from what I've read in numerous reviews Grado did something right with the Hemp's. They get a lot of praise. I'm not certain if the raw driver is the difference maker. But, it certainly would contribute.

I just bought a set of Symphones V9 drivers. The hemps are cheap enough. I might just buy a set of them too for the heck of it so I can compare.

The Hemps and the PS1000e appear to be the exact same driver. Look and the amount of holes left exposed in the felt on the back side. Oh, and look at the model number on the magnet.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #4,940 of 4,994
Assuming that they are indeed what they say they are the hemp and ps1k are tuned very different. The ps1ke is meant for the big heavy aluminum/wood housing and g-cush for earpads. The Hemp works in the small enclosure and flat pads.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #4,941 of 4,994
Thanks for the useful information guys I really appreciate it. I have decided to order the hemp drivers from earphonediylabs. I just hope they are legit hemp drivers.

May 26, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #4,943 of 4,994
May 27, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #4,944 of 4,994
My headphone with modded turbulent X drivers sound very similar to the Hemp. X has a touch more mids emphasis (surprising I know), while the hemp is tilted very slightly toward treble in comparison . I didn't realize Hemp drivers were out in the wild, so I just ordered a set yesterday to tinker with. Pretty exciting!

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #4,945 of 4,994
My headphone with modded turbulent X drivers sound very similar to the Hemp. X has a touch more mids emphasis (surprising I know), while the hemp is tilted very slightly toward treble in comparison . I didn't realize Hemp drivers were out in the wild, so I just ordered a set yesterday to tinker with. Pretty exciting!
I just stumbled across the hemps a few days ago. So, you're saying the hemps favor the highs? <-- clever eh?

Seriously though. Can this be said in general about the driver or in the way they are mounted in the Grado headphone baring the same name?

May 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4,948 of 4,994
Are they located in China?
Here is what they say on their website: "Earphone DIY Labs is a online store in Redmond, WA, Unite State with product design and engineering team in Beijing, China. We don’t have office to accommodate visitors yet but in planning."

I just placed a small order with them. It sure seems like my purchase is going to be shipped from China. But, I'll let you know.

May 27, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #4,949 of 4,994
Here is what they say on their website: "Earphone DIY Labs is a online store in Redmond, WA, Unite State with product design and engineering team in Beijing, China. We don’t have office to accommodate visitors yet but in planning."

I just placed a small order with them. It sure seems like my purchase is going to be shipped from China. But, I'll let you know.

The items I have received from them have come from China. I haven't tried their drivers, but I have had a couple of customers send me their aluminium cups to use in builds, and I tried out their PS1K aluminium cups myself. As an MoT I can't post my thoughts publicly on their work. Feel free to PM me if you're curious though.

May 28, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #4,950 of 4,994
I just stumbled across the hemps a few days ago. So, you're saying the hemps favor the highs? <-- clever eh?

Seriously though. Can this be said in general about the driver or in the way they are mounted in the Grado headphone baring the same name?
No, I'm saying there is a touch more sparkle in the Hemp compared to my modded X. And that my modded X has a touch more midrange emphasis compared to the Hemp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back