Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 5, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #4,756 of 4,994
I will consider including foam pieces with the drivers from now on.

No pressure...I include it when I send my cups out too, just in case folks need it. I let them specify press or foam fit when they buy, but send the foam always, out of habit :)

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #4,757 of 4,994
No pressure...I include it when I send my cups out too, just in case folks need it. I let them specify press or foam fit when they buy, but send the foam always, out of habit :)

Its a great idea. Much time is spent getting the sound of the drivers right, we should make sure everyone can install them easily. What is your preferred thickness for foam, 1/16" or 1/32"?

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4,758 of 4,994
Its a great idea. Much time is spent getting the sound of the drivers right, we should make sure everyone can install them easily. What is your preferred thickness for foam, 1/16" or 1/32"?

I've been going with 1/16th personally. Do you reckon the tighter tolerance with 1/32 is better?

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #4,759 of 4,994
Don't want to throw poop on the whole foam driver mounting idea but I've mounted drivers in wood cups any way possible and directly press fitting the drivers into the wood cups sounds way better to my ears.
The "simple" explanation I have for that difference is that when using foam strips to mount the drivers, all the "vibrational" energy generated by the driver itself kinda stays in the drivers as the drivers are more or less "floating" and are decoupled from the wood cups, but when press fitting all that energy is been absorbed by the wood cups making the sound way more "pleasant", defined and without a trace of harshness.
Downside is that is more difficult to accurately direct press fit the drivers than it is with foam.
Just my 2 cents.

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #4,760 of 4,994
IMG_20190605_231547 - Copie - Copie.jpg

Full metal parts, driver Symphone 8.1...

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #4,761 of 4,994
Don't want to throw poop on the whole foam driver mounting idea but I've mounted drivers in wood cups any way possible and directly press fitting the drivers into the wood cups sounds way better to my ears.
The "simple" explanation I have for that difference is that when using foam strips to mount the drivers, all the "vibrational" energy generated by the driver itself kinda stays in the drivers as the drivers are more or less "floating" and are decoupled from the wood cups, but when press fitting all that energy is been absorbed by the wood cups making the sound way more "pleasant", defined and without a trace of harshness.
Downside is that is more difficult to accurately direct press fit the drivers than it is with foam.
Just my 2 cents.

I get it...I've always been concerned my preference is because it decouples the driver from the wood. Not sure why...I guess for the obvious reason that I make wooden headphones. Why would I want to avoid the effect of the wood? Taste is a weird thing though. Whatever happens, I personally prefer foam mount, but that's just me. A lot of my customers specifically ask for press-fit and I happily oblige.

Jun 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,766 of 4,994
I get it...I've always been concerned my preference is because it decouples the driver from the wood. Not sure why...I guess for the obvious reason that I make wooden headphones. Why would I want to avoid the effect of the wood? Taste is a weird thing though. Whatever happens, I personally prefer foam mount, but that's just me. A lot of my customers specifically ask for press-fit and I happily oblige.

Can't agree more, nothing beats personal taste.

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #4,770 of 4,994
Some month, one of the driver in my old bust trusty Grado SR60 gave up. Was trying to find a used one, but no luck. Thought about getting SR325, but then was reading up on the Magnum Driver.

So I ordered a pair of Magnum V8.1 and a set of genuine Grado L-Pads.

I have seen loads of the wooden DIY jobs here on Head-Fi, but I wanted to keep the whole build low cost. Besides I usually use my Grado SR60 while working outside, so I did want anything fancy looking or too heavy.

Rhydon was super helpful and usually answered my emails in minutes. "Together" I was able to liberate the old driver and prepare the thimbals for the Installation of the Magnum driver.

I now have one of the most 'fun to listen' headphones I ever had, and that for 'only' $ 135 investment.

Wondering how much I would have had to invest into the Grado line-up to get similar great sounding headphones.

The lows go pretty low and are plentyful without overpowering, mids are warm and full without being muddy and the highs are well extended without becoming overbearing. Even locking the headphones up to my laptop or XDuoo 10 give my great listening pleasure.

Just got some cheap knock off Grado pads from China ($ 4) which give a little more bass and highs and make you fell even more involved with the music. Probably keep them on during the summer, since I don't mind if they get all wet from sweat. At the end of the season it's no big loss to just throw them away if they gotten too nasty.

Again, I am extremely happy to have gone the Magnum route and thanks again to Rhydon for his creation and great support.

Very clean look. Love the heavy gauge steel mesh grille. Nice job! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back