Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 10, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #4,352 of 4,994
I'd say it's subjective. If you're asking about padding, Turbulent still looks to be the thickest pad (I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered). However, I do think the "tube" style rodblocks look the best, if that's what you're asking. If someone owns both the Rholupat style rodblocks and some tube ones, I'd like to see a weight comparison!

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4,353 of 4,994
  I'd say it's subjective. If you're asking about padding, Turbulent still looks to be the thickest pad (I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered). However, I do think the "tube" style rodblocks look the best, if that's what you're asking. If someone owns both the Rholupat style rodblocks and some tube ones, I'd like to see a weight comparison!

I was referring to the Leather headbands.

Those Tubular blocks are gonna be a bit heavier I think.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #4,356 of 4,994
Sure.....

1st... I did not keep the round rodblocks... I feel the overall comfort was better with the original Grado headband..  Noticed that Rholupat had his aluminum RodBlocks available again and purchased a set of those.. Which wont be here for at least a month lol. If someone is in need of the round rodblock and headband, hit me up via PM.
2nd... I have seen is asked here so I took a quick measurement.. the V7 drivers are 32 ohms, why the specifications are not listed on their site is beyond me. Not sure about the rest of the measurement’s as all I have is a simple ratshack multimeter. 

Parts used as of this min-review… Walnut cup from YewWoodwoks , Gimbals from mwcamp77 (ebay), L-Cush pads, PlusSound Audio headband and a cable made from 18 gauge speakerwire (just RCA stuff from Menards) and of course the Symphones V7 drivers.

Hardest part of the build (by far) was braiding the cable

Sound..
They sound much better than I ever expected.. I am really not a fan of the Grado house sound and was not expecting much except a fun project. In all honesty I don’t think the V7 drivers sound anything like Grado's..

They have deep impactful bass with speed and control and does not bleed into the mids.. A natural sounding midrange with a top end that is airy and sweet without being overdone. Imaging is good, while the soundstage somewhat small I can definitely make out where the instruments are within the space constructed.

All in all they are great all arounder’s that work well with everything from Rap and Rock to Jazz..

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #4,357 of 4,994
  Sure.....

1st... I did not keep the round rodblocks... I feel the overall comfort was better with the original Grado headband.. If someone is in need of the round rodblock and headband, hit me up via PM.

Thanx for the mini review.

In reference to the Headband setup.

You can feel the round wire?  Is that the problem?

Were you using the leather Headband from the Ebay guy?

How does that Leather compare to Grado Leather like on the HF-2s?

I'm wondering if a more substantial piece of leather would have helped?

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4,358 of 4,994

Thanx for the mini review.

In reference to the Headband setup.

You can feel the round wire?  Is that the problem?

Were you using the leather Headband from the Ebay guy?

How does that Leather compare to Grado Leather like on the HF-2s?

I'm wondering if a more substantial piece of leather would have helped?

The round bulk was not an issue and I was just using a non-padded leather headband from PlusSound... My issues seemed to stem from its stiffness. I mean its bendable but it’s more of a, bend it to the shape of your head and don’t expect it to flex beyond that, kind of thing. It was also slightly more heavy but it’s the flexibility that was what I didn’t like. I guess some sort of spring steal could make it better because honestly it looked really nice beyond that. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #4,359 of 4,994
well........ I played with the headband today... with everything removed from it (cups and leather headband)… I put it on my head and conformed it to my head shape then slightly pulled it out, to make it slightly to wide (room for the cups)…  this made the fit much much better.. So this headband is back on for now.. Will give it a little more time. 

LOL I really want this headband to work as it gives a very cool steam punk look to my headphones. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4,360 of 4,994

The round bulk was not an issue and I was just using a non-padded leather headband from PlusSound... My issues seemed to stem from its stiffness. I mean its bendable but it’s more of a, bend it to the shape of your head and don’t expect it to flex beyond that, kind of thing. It was also slightly more heavy but it’s the flexibility that was what I didn’t like. I guess some sort of spring steal could make it better because honestly it looked really nice beyond that. 

Ahhh, now I getcha

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,361 of 4,994
  well........ I played with the headband today... with everything removed from it (cups and leather headband)… I put it on my head and conformed it to my head shape then slightly pulled it out, to make it slightly to wide (room for the cups)…  this made the fit much much better.. So this headband is back on for now.. Will give it a little more time. 

LOL I really want this headband to work as it gives a very cool steam punk look to my headphones. 

Can't wait to hear how this setup works for you/us

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #4,363 of 4,994

I'm in the same boat--my head is rather large (Size 8.75!) and the round headband takes some work to plan it for the noggin'. To be honest, though, I put the Vivitar DJ Mixer headband assembly onto a pair of test cups (SR125) and I'd say it's extremely comfortable if you're not into the looks-game.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,364 of 4,994
  I'm in the same boat--my head is rather large (Size 8.75!) and the round headband takes some work to plan it for the noggin'. To be honest, though, I put the Vivitar DJ Mixer headband assembly onto a pair of test cups (SR125) and I'd say it's extremely comfortable if you're not into the looks-game.

We need to find some wire that has some spring to it!

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,365 of 4,994
    We need to find some wire that has some spring to it!

If someone is feeling adventurous...

https://www.mcmaster.com/#blue-spring-steel/=16qq6ch

I've thought about trying some from here, but other projects always get in the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back