Grado modders go Magnum
May 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4,126 of 4,994
Thanks, the thing is I'v got both a 3d printer and cnc here.

I'v got all the other stuff here already,  don't really wanna wait for shipping on some sleeves :p  
Just looking for the dimensions.

May 27, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #4,128 of 4,994
You could ask fleasbaby to make you one.

I bought some spirit labs cups and bought some alloy sleeves on here from a guy who had loads .the drivers then slide in beautifully and you can use the threaded holes with M4 grub screws to hold the drivers in place.
I'll have a look and see who I bought the sleeves from if you like

Those are nice, he sent me his V4's in those with a 325i top, really nice sound.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #4,133 of 4,994
How do they sound? I'd like to hear your impressions on the alloy cups.

The alloy cups sounds great!  I don't know how they will sound without the plastic sleeves tho.
I'v tried over the last couple of days different 3D building techniques on the 3D printed sleeves,  for example different infill styles and infill %, really made a difference.  I'm quite happy with the latest sleeves,  but I might try some more.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #4,135 of 4,994
I've just begun to look into grado modding, so forgive me if this is a trivial question: what's the deal with the V7 on http://symphones.com? Unless my google-fu is completely screwy, there doesn't seem to be any information on HF about it at all. It's doubly confusing because it seems to have dropped the Magnum branding altogether.

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #4,136 of 4,994
  Would changing cups from wood to alloy make a huge difference in sound?

Yes, it does make a difference.  I have built v3 in Cocobolo cups, v4s with wooden inserts and metal cups, and v4 with all metal.  Strange for a guy who is trying to get rid of his aluminum sleeves to say, but the wooden inserts with metal cups were the best.  A nice balance of warmth and details.  v4 were supposedly built with all metal housing in mind, which is why I went out and got a whole lot of cups made.  They are VERY detailed, but shrill, so what happened was that I put acoustic foam and dynamat in there to tame it up a little.  They sound great now, a little V-shaped compared to my SR200, the details are awesome, but I would still like to tame the highs a little.

I find all wood to be too warm for my liking, but those were v3 drivers.

I have heard the v5 in all wood, but personally felt that it's not to the level of both iterations of the v4 (too much down low), but better than the all wood v3 (more fun and exciting sound).

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #4,137 of 4,994
  I've just begun to look into grado modding, so forgive me if this is a trivial question: what's the deal with the V7 on http://symphones.com? Unless my google-fu is completely screwy, there doesn't seem to be any information on HF about it at all. It's doubly confusing because it seems to have dropped the Magnum branding altogether.

LOL...I never noticed the upgrade from V6 to V7...should be interesting to hear what changes have been made. I notice mesh over the grill is back. Really happy about that...might get a pair if I can hustle up the cash...

I see there are no links to the 3D printed cups this time as well.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #4,138 of 4,994

LOL...I never noticed the upgrade from V6 to V7...should be interesting to hear what changes have been made. I notice mesh over the grill is back. Really happy about that...might get a pair if I can hustle up the cash...

I see there are no links to the 3D printed cups this time as well.

I don't know if you're referring to me with the "no links" to 3D printed cups now but in case you were..  I didn't buy or download them.
It's my own designs.  Havn't uploaded them to any 3D-model sites yet. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4,139 of 4,994
  I don't know if you're referring to me with the "no links" to 3D printed cups now but in case you were..  I didn't buy or download them.
It's my own designs.  Havn't uploaded them to any 3D-model sites yet. 

No, I was referring to Rhydon's C6 design he had. When he released the V6 driver, he also put a shapefile up on Shapeways, so folks could order a 3D printed cup he had designed specifically for the V6 driver. Looks like that is gone now though...

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #4,140 of 4,994
Quote:

No, I was referring to Rhydon's C6 design he had. When he released the V6 driver, he also put a shapefile up on Shapeways, so folks could order a 3D printed cup he had designed specifically for the V6 driver. Looks like that is gone now though...

I'm not sure if this link  is still valid but i had it saved in my bookmarks.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/FHXXSMGN9/c6-beta-1-3?li=search-results-1&optionId=58384717

damn those V7's look sexy!  http://symphones.com/
I always pick the worst times to be broke
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back