Grado modders go Magnum
May 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #4,096 of 4,994
anyone have a pair of drivers for sale?

Please PM me....

May 12, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,098 of 4,994
Yes, they look great, we all know fleasbaby makes great cups....................what about tye sound?

Impressions with the L cush pads:
The V6 drivers deliver an un Grado clean and slightly v shaped sound signature that is musical and fun to listen to.

Lows:
Compared to the stock Grado drivers the bass has much better quality and quantity.
Especially if I compare them to my HD600's, the bass is killer on this set.

Mids:
Vocals are cristal clear and in balance with the lows and highs. Even though the others are a bit more pronounced, the mids are not recessed at all.

Highs:
If you think Grado, you think strong treble. With the Magnums, this is not the case. Very detailed, on par with my HD600.

Soundstage:
The soundstage can be described as sitting in the front row, with the musicians playing right in front of you, to the left and right. As a result it feels very intimate and enjoyable.

With the G cush pads I can be short: the bass was too much and the treble a bit overbearing, making the vocals sound distant, recessed and underwhelming.
I prefer the L cush sound by miles!

May 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,099 of 4,994
Yes, they look great, we all know fleasbaby makes great cups....................what about tye sound?

Impressions with the L cush pads:
The V6 drivers deliver an un Grado clean and slightly v shaped sound signature that is musical and fun to listen to.

Lows:
Compared to the stock Grado drivers the bass has much better quality and quantity.
Especially if I compare them to my HD600's, the bass is killer on this set.

Mids:
Vocals are cristal clear and in balance with the lows and highs. Even though the others are a bit more pronounced, the mids are not recessed at all.

Highs:
If you think Grado, you think strong treble. With the Magnums, this is not the case. Very detailed, on par with my HD600.

Soundstage:
The soundstage can be described as sitting in the front row, with the musicians playing right in front of you, to the left and right. As a result it feels very intimate and enjoyable.

With the G cush pads I can be short: the bass was too much and the treble a bit overbearing, making the vocals sound distant, recessed and underwhelming.
I prefer the L cush sound by miles!

Thanks! You should try some flat pads.

May 12, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #4,101 of 4,994
No, I am thinking of the yellow sen pads, I think they are the hd414 pad
These
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Ear-pads-cushions-SENNHEISER-HD414-Classic-HD414X-Yellow-Foam-19545-/222049261372?hash=item33b32ad73c:g:fRQAAOSw~OVWx5CL

May 12, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #4,102 of 4,994
GS1000 style mahogany cups are turned by Fleasbaby, great work. Can recommend!

Thanks! Glad you like them :).

Hehe...yes, good point. I always worry that I'll turn a pair of cups that looks great but sounds terrible. I am sure you feel the same way sometimes too...

May 13, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #4,103 of 4,994
Can anyone explain the sonic differences between the different versions?

A member here has a pair of v4s and a pair of v5s available...which is better,or should I wait until the newest version pops up?

May 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #4,104 of 4,994
  Can anyone explain the sonic differences between the different versions?

A member here has a pair of v4s and a pair of v5s available...which is better,or should I wait until the newest version pops up?

V4 is more neutral, closer to the classic Grado signature if anything at all. The V5 is less neutral. You get a better bass presence. 

Some swore by the old V4 drivers (most were fans of the old Joe Grado sound). I have had both, and preferred the V5 across more genres of music. The V4 were bloody perfect for acoustic/rock/jazz though...

May 13, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #4,105 of 4,994

V4 is more neutral, closer to the classic Grado signature if anything at all. The V5 is less neutral. You get a better bass presence. 

Some swore by the old V4 drivers (most were fans of the old Joe Grado sound). I have had both, and preferred the V5 across more genres of music. The V4 were bloody perfect for acoustic/rock/jazz though...

For rock/metal and not to be redundant with what I already own(see signature),which would you recommend? 

May 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #4,107 of 4,994
I have the v4 magnum in all aluminum shells, had the v4 in wooden sleeves and aluminum cups and just bought the grado sr200 (black star drivers).

I'd say the sr200 is the cleanest sounding and most natural of them all. The bass is comparatively light but very tight. Soundstage is the best (just the others are below average).

The wooden sleeve one, based on memory, is smooth warming sounding.

The all aluminum one is crisp, analytical. I put some acoustic foam to damp the insides to make it less shrill. All three are fantastic. Based on purely sound, the sr200 is the best but it's so expensive. The other two are equally good but quite different sounding. I kept the all metal one and it's still a work in progress. I am aiming to make it sr200 with better bass. Oh, and the building costs of those two were about half of what I got the 200 for.

May 14, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #4,108 of 4,994
I have the v4 magnum in all aluminum shells, had the v4 in wooden sleeves and aluminum cups and just bought the grado sr200 (black star drivers).

I'd say the sr200 is the cleanest sounding and most natural of them all. The bass is comparatively light but very tight. Soundstage is the best (just the others are below average).

The wooden sleeve one, based on memory, is smooth warming sounding.

The all aluminum one is crisp, analytical. I put some acoustic foam to damp the insides to make it less shrill. All three are fantastic. Based on purely sound, the sr200 is the best but it's so expensive. The other two are equally good but quite different sounding. I kept the all metal one and it's still a work in progress. I am aiming to make it sr200 with better bass. Oh, and the building costs of those two were about half of what I got the 200 for.

Good point! I should have clarified, I heard the V4 in all-wood cups
redface.gif

I have some super-vintage SR80 that someone said could be a re-badged SR100 (metal screens, HP1000-style headband, 1/4 inch plug). Not too sure about that, but those early nineties Grados, no matter what model, have a nice sound to them, that tight, sweet, natural bass, and effortless high-end that wouldn't harm a fly....

May 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #4,109 of 4,994
I have a Sr325is and i like it a lot so i decided to make my own a magnum hoping that it will be an improvement over the sr325is so i bought v6 driver and a custom wood cup for 40-44mm without knowing it will fit or not. So finally i received the cup, it was made both from aluminum and wood, the driver chamber is made from aluminum but it mouting hole is only fit for 40mm driver so it's no use. The cup opening is about 44mm, loosely fit magnum driver so i have to use hot glue to attach the driver. How does it sound? Not good at all, it has smooth sound, the treble lvl no where near grado, it sound off, soundstage is too small and bass is loose, too much mid bass. I must say it even doesn't sound better than my sr60e, it was burnt in for about 20 hours so it's not the problem of burn in, do you guy have any suggestion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back