Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #1,727 of 4,994
Quote:
The drivers are doped differently as you move up the line-up. And no amount of moding can yield a magnum.

Some of the drivers literally have "audiophile oil".. I mean destressing applied to them to make them sound better. Sounds stupid but hey, the upper end cans do sound better.

Can't hate a company for making money if you like their stuff.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,728 of 4,994
Quote:
Is there a thread where those with woodies show pictures of their work?

Not really, most have their own sites you can find by googling.
Martin Custom Audio
Headphone Lounge
Headphile
are three good places to start, there is a thread of makers, but those three are about the only reliable ones still around.
not forgetting Vibro labs, think their the best of the bunch. Got my classics on the way

Aug 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #1,729 of 4,994
Quote:

Some of the drivers literally have "audiophile oil".. I mean destressing applied to them to make them sound better. Sounds stupid but hey, the upper end cans do sound better.

Can't hate a company for making money if you like their stuff.

I'm willing to pay big big bucks for a few drops of some audiophile oil.

If anyone has some shoot me a PM. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,730 of 4,994
kidding?

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,731 of 4,994
Quote:

I think you're going about your upgrades in the wrong order.  If anything, buy some cable isolators so your headphone cable doesn't have to rest on the table-top surface when using the headphones.  This will ensure any energy from the table-top will not interfere with the cable signal.  Also, one has to consider the purchase of "magic stones" to keep on top of their source player.  Once you've implemented those two "essential" upgrades, then the audiophile oil should be considered.  I've found the synthetic variety to last the longest and keep the drivers in great shape. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,732 of 4,994
Quote:
not forgetting Vibro labs, think their the best of the bunch. Got my classics on the way

They're one and the same as Headphone Lounge. We brought them onboard as part of our group of dudes doing audio stuff.

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,734 of 4,994
Reading this thread has reignited an idea i had to mod my HF1s back in the day, which seemed pointless after i got my RS1s, but might be interesting to do with magnums, the only thing is, where does one acquire a set of drivers?  The symphones website seems rather out of date...

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,735 of 4,994
Quote:

I think you're going about your upgrades in the wrong order.  If anything, buy some cable isolators so your headphone cable doesn't have to rest on the table-top surface when using the headphones.  This will ensure any energy from the table-top will not interfere with the cable signal.  Also, one has to consider the purchase of "magic stones" to keep on top of their source player.  Once you've implemented those two "essential" upgrades, then the audiophile oil should be considered.  I've found the synthetic variety to last the longest and keep the drivers in great shape. 
biggrin.gif

All these upgrades are all well and good. Hope all your source music are top notch, otherwise it's money spent and nothing gained.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,738 of 4,994
If anyone happens to have a spare set of Magnum drivers, I'm interested in acquiring them.  I'm ideally, looking at a build using some of the new cups from HeadphoneLounge.  As with my previous contributions to this thread, I'd provide a detailed post (or posts) regarding the creation of a beautiful set of Magnums as well as a great performing pair of headphones.

Thank you,

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,740 of 4,994
Quote:
Thanks for all the offers for audiophile oil, who knew it would be so expensive.

On a more serious note, the paint came off one of the magnum drivers, do you think it's a problem?

I can sell you some audiophile paint, it's not cheap but it does wonders in taming upgradeitis (just by depleting your wallet).
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back