GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #271 of 1,160
Glad they're working out. I usually use mediums. I was using a larger size until I went for a deeper insertion that I actually prefer but there's a limit. James, see if you can stick the biggest ones in far enough to get a seal. If not then there's not much else to do but move on. I really like the stock tips best but then I've also never tried the JVCs. I'm not having any microphonic issues but I consider them over ear phones and only use them as such as I think they work better that way and were probably intended so. Down, I couldn't get them in deep enough with the tips I ended up with as there's some restriction from the strain relief angle. May relate to tip size as I was also using larger ones when and not mindfull of cable orientation early on. I'm also a fan of thinner cables as long as they're not fragile. One thing I thought worse about the new Shures. Would be nice to have some more instruction from Grado about this but at least they make the thing.
etysmile.gif

I also want to thank you for a long ago discussion about rockbox vs stock firmware. I had a nice synergy going where 2 not quite neutrals were making a good result and your comments had me reconsider my observations and revisit with other bits. I went to known sources not DAP to discover that you were right. On the fuze, I still think Rockbox a bit etched without dither but never the less, better overall and clearly so and no issues dithered.
 Like my Ipod touch better but still use the fuze for fun and portability.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #272 of 1,160

Quote:
James, it sounds like all of your recent purchases with FAD and the MA earphones all sound quite similar to each other with similar performance except the FAD BA-SS. Is it safe to say that if someone owned one of them there would be no reason to get any of the others?

I found the Final Audios (A1 and SB) to be quite different from the Ortofons and Grados, but the Ortofons and Grados were similar enough that I'd agree with that. If I already had the GR8 or e-Q7 I probably wouldn't have gotten the e-Q5.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #273 of 1,160

Quote:
James, it sounds like all of your recent purchases with FAD and the MA earphones all sound quite similar to each other with similar performance except the FAD BA-SS. Is it safe to say that if someone owned one of them there would be no reason to get any of the others?

They all have a pretty close and (what I perceive as) balanced sound signature with similar great clarity and detail resolution to my ears. Bass roll-off is almost the same below 30Hz and the A1's texture is surprisingly good for BA and again pretty close to the MAs. Like I said there are still some differences e.g. in treble extension or airiness, but they're hard for me to tell apart when I'm out and about. So at least for mobile use I'd second your conclusion.

Quote:
I'm not having any microphonic issues but I consider them over ear phones and only use them as such as I think they work better that way and were probably intended so. Down, I couldn't get them in deep enough with the tips I ended up with as there's some restriction from the strain relief angle. May relate to tip size as I was also using larger ones when and not mindfull of cable orientation early on. I'm also a fan of thinner cables as long as they're not fragile. One thing I thought worse about the new Shures. Would be nice to have some more instruction from Grado about this but at least they make the thing.
etysmile.gif

Oh, of course I was talking about over-ears. From their design I didn't even try to wear the GR10 downwards. Yet even worn over-ears their stiffer cable still transmits some noise to the housings (as compared to the e-Q5), when it rubs against my jacket or collar. Tbo it's not loud enough to get annoying in noisy surroundings, but the Ortofons have zero microphonics in comparison.

Quote:
I found the Final Audios (A1 and SB) to be quite different from the Ortofons and Grados, but the Ortofons and Grados were similar enough that I'd agree with that. If I already had the GR8 or e-Q7 I probably wouldn't have gotten the e-Q5.

The A1 change a bit with different tips and fit. I've settled on a fairly deep fit with shortened Sony Hybrid tips and they sound pretty similar that way. At home in quiet surroundings it's still easy to spot their differences, but on the move I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart by sound signature alone. At least I'd think their differences in cables and fit are more significant. Overall I would almost say the Final Audios A1 and SB are more different from each other in sound signature than the A1 and the Ortofons, but YMMV.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #274 of 1,160
Didn't mean to imply you were doing something wrong. Just checking and with large enough tips, they can be worn down pretty comfortably. I just prefer them deeper as apparently you do also. I wonder if the dif we're getting in microphonics has to do with slider use and general amount of surface area of cable on the ear. I don't doubt your impressions of the EQ5 being great at it.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #276 of 1,160
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would post a question here first. I have been reading the reviews of the GR-10 with great interest but I already have the Sennheiser IE8 and I'm actually quite thrilled with them. If anyone out there has both IEM's, with just a iPod, would you please do a comparison of the GR-10 and the IE8? I would be grateful. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #277 of 1,160
If you are really interested in them I might be able to meet up with you on one of my upcoming trips to NYC. My GR10s are my go-to travel IEMs so I would have them with me anyway.

From reputation only I would guess the IE8 and GR10 are somewhat opposite in character/sound sig. GR10 don't have a particularly big soundstage and they have more of a treble emphasis with a fairly flat/neutral bass, IMO. If you're looking for a different sound sig to complement your IE8s they might be perfect...

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #278 of 1,160
So what's the deal with these GR10s? Are they worth the extra money over the e-Q7/e-Q5 for sound quality to any of you guys who heard both?

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #279 of 1,160

Quote:
If you are really interested in them I might be able to meet up with you on one of my upcoming trips to NYC. My GR10s are my go-to travel IEMs so I would have them with me anyway.

From reputation only I would guess the IE8 and GR10 are somewhat opposite in character/sound sig. GR10 don't have a particularly big soundstage and they have more of a treble emphasis with a fairly flat/neutral bass, IMO. If you're looking for a different sound sig to complement your IE8s they might be perfect...

Absolutely Sarah, thanks for the offer. The next time you are in New York it will be great to compare and contrast. Send me a pm or email me. davidhunternyc@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #281 of 1,160

Quote:
GR10 is MUCH more articulate and transparent that IE8.  The only advantage IE8 has is a bigger bolder sound/more bass.  GR10 kills it in ever other criteria.

Spyro, would you also include sound stage imaging?

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #282 of 1,160
Depends on fit. Deepish fit which I prefer has a smaller stage. Shallow is quite wide but not as warm tonally. Personally, I don't find it very important in an earphone as I haven't yet found a natural perspective in one and that includes various Stax, Jeklin floats and AKG 1000s. As long as instruments sound correct in weight an there's specifcity to placement, I'm good.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #283 of 1,160
Quote:
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would post a question here first. I have been reading the reviews of the GR-10 with great interest but I already have the Sennheiser IE8 and I'm actually quite thrilled with them. If anyone out there has both IEM's, with just a iPod, would you please do a comparison of the GR-10 and the IE8? I would be grateful. Thanks.

Quote:

Having heard both, I concur with Sarah. The IE8 are more bass driven and overall very laid back (some would even say veiled) with vast soundstage, the GR10 are more intimate, but not claustrophobic (think concert hall vs. club) and strikingly clear, articulate and transparent. Treble is more apparent than with the IE8, yet never obtrusive. Both are smooth, refined and relaxed, but in different ways. I think they complement each other very well.

Quote:
So what's the deal with these GR10s? Are they worth the extra money over the e-Q7/e-Q5 for sound quality to any of you guys who heard both?

IMO no, unless you have a fit issue with the Ortofons. The GR10 is smaller and easier to fit, sound-wise they're very close.

Quote:
GR10 is MUCH more articulate and transparent that IE8.  The only advantage IE8 has is a bigger bolder sound/more bass.  GR10 kills it in ever other criteria.

I wouldn't say the GR10 kills the IE8. IMO they're both excellent IEMs, albeit with different sound sigs.

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #284 of 1,160

Quote:
Quote:

No, the soundstage is definitely larger with IE8 but GR10 still hads loads of space around the sound.  I find it much more engaing, just realize it has a good 30% (estimate) less bass.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #285 of 1,160

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

No, the soundstage is definitely larger with IE8 but GR10 still hads loads of space around the sound.  I find it much more engaing, just realize it has a good 30% (estimate) less bass.

Thanks Sypro for the info.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back