GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #241 of 1,160
if Grado is referring you to their dealer (in this case, Headroom) and their dealer isn't helpful, then i think Grado should be made aware of this. i still think it's worth giving the monster tips a shot though.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #242 of 1,160
Lots of companies will only sell through the dealer network if they don't do direct sales. That's what dealers are for. It amazes me what is considered good and bad business practice here sometimes. Headroom should be who you're talking to as that is 'your' dealer. The stock tips are easily the best with them for me and worth the effort. Apparently the previous owner of the B stock pair thought the same.
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #244 of 1,160
Quote:
The stock tips are easily the best with them for me and worth the effort. Apparently the previous owner of the B stock pair thought the same.
frown.gif

Quote:
Quote:
 The stock tips are easily the best with them for me and worth the effort. Apparently the previous owner of the B stock pair thought the same.
frown.gif

I couldn't agree more.

which other tips have you tried with them and what were the differences that you found?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #245 of 1,160
Everything else was less even and balanced. Wide opening double flanges shoved in pretty good makes them more fun and brings up the bass a bit. I use the stock med. and shove them in pretty far with cable up. Some will think the bass not enough but as I use them, it's right for me with a slightly warm balance and very comfy and secure. Others could probably hear the same thing and not think them warm. With larger tips and less insertion, they will be more analytical and a wider perspective. So much of this is personal and size of image is meaningless to me in earphones as it's all so artificial anyways. I only look for separation and specificity beyond clarity and balance. These work for me but I'm sure won't for everyone. Every now and then I think I'd like something more exciting but I try a that type of phone and it just sounds wrong or I find the source was the issue. Another tune comes on and it's boogie city again. I've said it before, I consider them chameleon like but perhaps tohers will think that they will lack character. There's a few phones out there that are probably not the weakest link in a chain and I think these may be one of them. Not to say that you can't do better with a custom of some sort as I think tips are limiting to any universal and the top Customs take hold of the sound like I haven't found in any universal but at least these come with tips that are well suited so you're not needing to roll them constantly, searching for nirvana. At least for me.

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #246 of 1,160
To me there is nothing worse than constantly having to adjust an iem in my ear. The stock tips stay put.
As I was told by a Grado spokesman, a lot of thought and expense went into the design and choice of material for their iem tips.
Every other tip I've tried just ruins the magic, so much so that I do not see it as optional.
I would not be a bit surprised to find out that the stock Grado tips can be used as an upgrade for other iems. Perhaps if I'm feeling ambitious in the future I will test my theory.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #247 of 1,160
Yeah.  Already spoke with Headroom and few other stores and it appears nobody carries the extra tips in stock.   I don't know what the deal is, but they also wouldn't special order me one.  Maybe it's the person on the other end, but this plain sucks.  Perhaps if I get my bonus, I'll just buy another pair for backup or the EQ-7, again.

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #248 of 1,160

Quote:
Yeah.  Already spoke with Headroom and few other stores and it appears nobody carries the extra tips in stock.   I don't know what the deal is, but they also wouldn't special order me one.  Maybe it's the person on the other end, but this plain sucks.  Perhaps if I get my bonus, I'll just buy another pair for backup or the EQ-7, again.

That's what I was worried about, the old BS corporate run around.  Grado-Go through our dealer!  Dealer-Sorry we don't carry that and can't get it, talk to Grado.  Yeah, typical.    

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #249 of 1,160
David, make some noise with both Headroom and Grado.  you were sold an incomplete item and they should make you whole!  it really shouldn't be so difficult to get tips!  at this point i still think it's worth trying the Monster super tips.  they seem to work well in other applications and i haven't yet heard anyone here saying them tried them and that they failed.  c'mon, take one for the team! 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #250 of 1,160
Its really easy.  Send a replacement set and pay for return shipping for your client.  What is so difficult w/ these people?

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #251 of 1,160

Quote:
David, make some noise with both Headroom and Grado.  you were sold an incomplete item and they should make you whole!  it really shouldn't be so difficult to get tips!  at this point i still think it's worth trying the Monster super tips.  they seem to work well in other applications and i haven't yet heard anyone here saying them tried them and that they failed.  c'mon, take one for the team! 
wink.gif

I will try my monster super foam tips and report back later. Due to its more narrow opening, I hope the perceived sound stage doesn't collapse too much.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #252 of 1,160
I'm using single flange UE silicons with my e-Q7 as well as the GR10 that arrived yesterday. Didn't have time yet to compare to stock tips, but they seem to be the same as the Ortofon's, which were IME inferior to the UE tips back then. First impressions, no big surprise they're close to the e-Q5 and e-Q7, roughly speaking. Cable and overall build feels cheaper, fit is easier though.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #253 of 1,160
I'm very surprised by Headroom's response. Alpha, I'll look into it tomorrow but it may be difficult to do anything until next week. PM me a reminder on Tues. if I don't get back to you. Anaxilus, They won't send replacements at that price but he could refund. They are hard to get at a discount so his cheapest route is to get the tips.

If Grado isn't set up to sell directly to consumers, their position is very understandable but I don't understand Headroom's lack of willingness to follow up on their sale. I guess this is the other side of consumers that use big online retailers as their personal testing ground and return everything in 30 days. Why can't everybody just be reasonable?
confused_face(1).gif

Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

I will try my monster super foam tips and report back later. Due to its more narrow opening, I hope the perceived sound stage doesn't collapse too much.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #254 of 1,160

Quote:
I'm using single flange UE silicons with my e-Q7 as well as the GR10 that arrived yesterday. Didn't have time yet to compare to stock tips, but they seem to be the same as the Ortofon's, which were IME inferior to the UE tips back then. First impressions, no big surprise they're close to the e-Q5 and e-Q7, roughly speaking. Cable and overall build feels cheaper, fit is easier though.
smile_phones.gif

I've got those tips and didn't find them as good as stock though not bad. Their top end doesn't need the extra large opening. I also noticed breakin so you may like them more with time and trial. Maybe not but I think their strength is evenness and for me, that's clearly best with their own tip of those I've tried. Try the UE double for a fun sig. I use the stock mediums and shove them in deep at a nice angle which their shape allows. I think it's great you bothered to get a pair. I like the build and angled for over the ear strain relief but I can understand some concern about the weight of the cable itself. In fact, my preferred fit is deep enough to where cable down isn't going to work that well. I personally like the comfort of a thin cable and have said the same about not liking the new 535 cable. I guess it's personal unless they break.
mad.gif
 The body of the phone seems very solid and no one has complained about cosmetic issues on similarly finished GR8s. I believe somebody reported stepping on theirs and only scratching the finish on the hard surface, Accessories and packaging aren't fab (no case) but the tips supplied should fit all and there's a filter pack like the EQ7. Will be interested in your take after some time and experimentation with them.

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #255 of 1,160
Thanks for the link to the UE tips james444.  I'm going to order them.  They look like they may be a little stiffer than the stock Grado tips.  My test with the Monster super foam tips (sz L) didn't turn out well, and I can't stand the super gel tips.  As I surmised, the openess wasn't their and everything sound too tunnel like.  I'm currently using the comply foams and they sound ok, but I'm sure the stock tips or close equivalents will put me close to their true, intended sound.  Below is the picture of the two tips with the comply on the left.  You can see that there is a pretty big difference between the diameter opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back