GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #226 of 1,160
Holy crap !!!    I just watched  "Aileen Life And Death Of A Serial Killer." She was the one who killed all those men she would meet at truck stops and while hitch hiking. She was eventually executed. Well, she had asked that the song "Carnival" by Natalie Merchant be played at her funeral.

I happened to have that album "Tigerlily" loaded into my HiFiMan HM801 so I plugged the Grado GR10's in and gave it a listen. The whole thing is kind of sad to say the least but now the song took on new meaning.

Then the eery part, something I had never noticed before. The song is coming to an end, you hear some traffic noise, talking and then horse hooves on a city street passing and then a man''s voice says "He was with her last night, right before the murder "

I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand straight on end !

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #227 of 1,160

Quote:
Quote:
Okay who got the $299 GR10 from Headroom
smile.gif
? Noticed today that they were sold. Very tempting!

Nobody.
wink_face.gif
They were excluded form the latest sale. A few lucky folks got them for less than retail earlier due to errors in promotions. Grado polices the pricing pretty diligently.

Call Headroom direct and ask them what their best price is. Trust me!

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #228 of 1,160

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Okay who got the $299 GR10 from Headroom
smile.gif
? Noticed today that they were sold. Very tempting!

Nobody.
wink_face.gif
They were excluded form the latest sale. A few lucky folks got them for less than retail earlier due to errors in promotions. Grado polices the pricing pretty diligently.

Call Headroom direct and ask them what their best price is. Trust me!

I was talking about a B-stock pair. Actually, they were there for 3 or 4 days till someone snagged them. Figured, most likely, it was someone here on the boards.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #229 of 1,160
Headroom has B stock that are usually priced very nicely. They have a GR8 for $199 or so. Grado products typically don't go on sale so when they do it is quite rare :) B stock is different and Headroom has B stock on the Grado earphone products every once in a while.

Whoever grabbed that got a nice deal and probably was someone from these forums. The link to the B stock is a bit more difficult to find than the rest of their stuff.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #232 of 1,160
OK, ok, ok.......It was me who purchased the B-stock from headroom.   When I get them early next week, it'll be battling against my UE10 /w custom silver cable; which ever one loses will be sold.  Compared to the stock UE cable, there is absolutely no comparison.  The mids and layers of detail along with a much larger sound stage and air have infected my ears.
Here's some pictures of the competitor with the source being an unamped Sansa Clip with FLAC:

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #234 of 1,160
The impression claims in this thread is true about the GR10.  I was able to audition them today for a few hours (already has about 200 hrs) and although my ears think the UE edges it slightly particular in the low end, the perfect comfort that I recall with the GR8 came flooding back as well as the no fuss off/on placement.   I'll will post my impressions later next week.  Now to sell the UE.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #235 of 1,160
WTH - the risk of B-stock.  I was hoping to receive all the stock silicon tips and size, and instead got the small stock pair, but in place of the mediums, Sennheiser double flange, and in place of the large, a set of comply foams.  Debating if I want to spend the $25 for the stock tips when all I really need is the large size. 

However, on a good, positive note, I only spent five minutes and the words that immediately come into mind is transparency and detail separation.   Like the GR8, I can see myself dawning them 24/7 due to its comfort and any lack of harshness.  I think due to the comply foams, they are not as forward sounding and hope the stock silicon tips will move me up a few seating rows.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #236 of 1,160
FYI: If you ever need to purchase stock silicon tips from Grado - forget about it.  They don't deal with end consumers anymore as they will direct you to a seller, which I've already called five already and nobody carries the tips.  I was glad to pay the $25 Grado wants for them when I last called them about 6 months ago, as at the time,  I was looking for extra tips for my GR8 that I no longer own.  I should've kept the EQ-7 as the tips are identicle.  Anyone knows where I can purchase generic silicon tips of the same shape, size, fit, and quality else where?

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #237 of 1,160

Quote:
FYI: If you ever need to purchase stock silicon tips from Grado - forget about it.  They don't deal with end consumers anymore as they will direct you to a seller, which I've already called five already and nobody carries the tips.  I was glad to pay the $25 Grado wants for them when I last called them about 6 months ago, as at the time,  I was looking for extra tips for my GR8 that I no longer own.  I should've kept the EQ-7 as the tips are identicle.  Anyone knows where I can purchase generic silicon tips of the same shape, size, fit, and quality else where?

David, that's too bad that Grado seems unwilling to help. perhaps it's worth calling back again?  then again, Headroom should be able to help you out here. another suggestion would be to buy a set of Monster super tips from Monster. if the 10s take the same size tips as the 8s (likely) then, just like various turbine models, they take comply t400 series tips and therefore they should fit.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #239 of 1,160
From headroom's site: "IEM/ear-canal headphones listed below include 100% new sets of eartip sleeves plus a complete accessories kit identical to the original packaging unless otherwise noted."  Did it note that they were missing when you bought them? Or should they have been included?

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #240 of 1,160
When I phoned Grado (about a month ago) I was asked to contact my nearest "Grado dealer" to order additional tips. I was told they are quite expensive ($25.00 a pair). I was also asked to call them if the "Grado dealer" had any issues with getting tips for their iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back