GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #256 of 1,160
Quote:
They look like they may be a little stiffer than the stock Grado tips.

They are indeed slightly stiffer (but still comfortable) and that's why I'm getting better seal and sound than with e-Q7 stock tips. I still have to compare these tips on the GR10 though and also try the shortened Hybrids that I'm using with the e-Q5.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #258 of 1,160
^ Probably depends upon the size and shape of one's ear canals. I'm using the large UE silicons and the overlap about 2mm with the housing, but they're larger than the housing anyway. Maybe that would be more of a concern with smaller sized tips.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #259 of 1,160
I see what you mean. I guess it has more to do with insertion depth. These work better for me with a deeper insertion which warms them up and the body allows it. If fact it appears designed for same. If it gets thicker, it will limit things and they will need to be worn more like the orto's. Of course if you prefer it that way, it's a non issue.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #261 of 1,160
They will be quite a bit thinner sounding that all three of those but mids and treble will be superior IMHO.  I would not call GR10 bass lite necessary but if you do not require a lot of bass they will do as good or better than any other IEM out there, even multi-driver.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #262 of 1,160
Mine have now become warm in balance with a deep insertion but it took some time. I was just thinking yesterday about how the bass is getting more full and informative with time. They could maybe use a db or 2 more at 20 hz but that's about it. They seem to have livened up a bit also. Not thin for me at all but I like neutral and wouldn't want one of the other phones mentioned other than maybe the SM3 or W3. An Ie8 or monster anything is too heavy sounding for my tastes. Viva la difference!
bigsmile_face.gif
If they're still in short supply after the holiday, I'll send mine to Joker for another opinion of a run in set.

My take on them is slightly warm or not depending on fit and insertion with about as even a balance as I've heard in an IEM. I think good customs can have more control and delineation and of course preference will not make them the best IEM for everybody. They're good at letting you figure out the sigs of other things that you own.

Spyro, How are the JH5s comong along? I also thought those very good through the middle and top with a warmer but crisper presentation. I'm also a fan and found them quite fun and enjoyable on a short audition.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #263 of 1,160

Quote:

Spyro, How are the JH5s comong along? I also thought those very good through the middle and top with a warmer but crisper presentation. I'm also a fan and found them quite fun and enjoyable on a short audition.

I DO like it and consider the purchase worthwile but don't necessarily consider it the holy grail of IEM's.  It holds it's own against all other triple drivers but is more different than any huge upgrade IMHO.

Still trying to decide how much I like the VERY upfront and aggressive sound sig as opposed to something more balanced and articulate.  I recall I use to consider W3 an IEM on steriods but JH5 takes that statement to another level.  Not sure I could listen to them for hours and hours without listener fatigue.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #266 of 1,160

Quote:
Woody, are you noticing breakin? There seems to be some difference of opinion.

I think my changes happened all at once because I ran them day and night for a week on low to medium volume. I used 3 different amps to do this with various burn in CDs. (probably overkill but oh well)  As a result I haven't experienced changes as some go through. Comparatively, the SM3 continued to change for a long time.
Oh and the bass when amped is textured, deep and ultimately tuneful. Maybe I have an iem here or there that has better bass on some songs but ultimately those are the same iems that mess up other parts of the spectrum or cause the dreaded fatigue.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #267 of 1,160
I was just experimenting a bit.With a rockboxed fuze and using dither, if I enable EQ, the only change is a 0.5db increase at 20hz. More makes it worse for me and the EQ circuit itself is more harmful to the sound than a minor change like that. Loses some openness. Didn't pull or push anything else without not liking it as much including a touch at 16k and preferred without.  May not be bassy enough for some but perfect for me. Correct weight to instruments and voices IMO. I know some will like more bass and fun sig so not for everybody but these aren''t ETs either. More weight and less analytical without losing info.

When they had less mileage I thought they needed more low bass and had a bit too much presence masking some extension but now I wouldn't change a thing other than 1db or less bass at 20hz but it would need one fantastic and easy to apply EQ circuit to make that worthwhile. I have wavelab pro on my pc so I do have the proper EQ and dithered rendering available but it's clearly too much trouble to use for something so trivial. I was going to try the 1964Ts as I was about done with universals but now I'm just not sure. Maybe I can get a universal set to try at some point. I have to admit to not like tip swapping in general and had my leaning to customs but these are fab and comfy with what comes in the box. Ease of in and out is a like over customs but I still have a soft spot for a good custom BA's type of attack and delineation.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #268 of 1,160
^ Thanks for your ongoing impressions. I think I've found my perfect tips for the GR10 now, afraid to say they're the FX700 stock silicons that aren't available seperately (AFAIK). THe GR10's stock tips didn't work well for me, as even the largest ones were slightly too small. UE silicons were great soundwise, but only allowed for a shallow seal and subpar isolation. With the JVC tips I can get a deeper and better seal, isolation is almost on par with the e-Q5 now and sound is excellent.

Sound signature wise the GR10 are among the best conceivable IEMs to my ears as of now, very very similar to (and as excellent as) the e-Q5 and also pretty close to the FI-BA-A1. I've been alternating between these three phones during the last two weeks and all I can say is wow, all of these are undoubtedly among the very best phones I've heard. Listening to my preferred musical genres classical, acoustic and jazz there isn't anything I'd want to change about their sound signature, every single one of them is a real treat to listen to. Of course there are gentle nuances in sound signature with each phone, like e.g. the Ortofons and Final Audios being a bit more airy than the Grados, or the A1 sounding a little more relaxed compared to the others - I'm planning to dig deeper into this topic once I find time for an in-depth comparison. But overall (and taking into account that I'm not shy of using EQ to tune an IEM's signature to my liking) I haven't even once felt the need to experiment with EQing any of these phones.

Regarding the GR10 in particular, IMO their design is slightly better thought-out than the e-Q5's for mobile use, but at the same time more cheaply executed. They're a bit easier to put in and their chin slider helps with a secure fit, but their lower quality cable is less flexible and more microphonic. If I were to build my favourite cable out of these three IEM's parts I'd pick the Final Audio's L-plug, the Ortofon's cable and the Grado's Y-splitter and chin slider.

One last thing, even though I've two pretty good amps (Xin supermicro IV and Voyager) I'm usually too lazy to use them, because I've never seen a pair of inferior IEMs beat a pair of better ones due to amping. Or in other words, amping may well have its merits, but IME it generally doesn't work miracles. Nevertheless I've tried to amp all three of these and interestingly the Final Audios changed more than the Grados and Ortofons, they became quite noticably more snappy. Still not so much as to set them significantly apart from the others, but if I'd used an amp during my earlier comparison to the Ortofons, I think I wouldn't have mistaken them for moving armatures.

So much for the moment, more to come (hopefully) within the next few weeks.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #270 of 1,160
James, it sounds like all of your recent purchases with FAD and the MA earphones all sound quite similar to each other with similar performance except the FAD BA-SS. Is it safe to say that if someone owned one of them there would be no reason to get any of the others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back