GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #286 of 1,160
Just got my pair of GR10 today and after following spyro's suggestion of using preinstalled tips and deep insertion i finally found what i was looking for especially bass quality i had hard time finding. I also totally agree that GR10 are very well balanced and transparent while they have just 7 hours of burn-in. I use SE530 for six month but since the left chennal stopped working on new year day morning and i had to ship them to the company to be replaced by brand new pair i decided to see if i can find something better and after reading that some people prefer GR10 to SE535 which are too expensive for me i decided to try them and the only what can i say WOW i'm finally happy but still have a question to those who had chance to compare GR10 to UM3x if i'm missing something by not trying UM3x instead.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #287 of 1,160

Quote:
Just got my pair of GR10 today and after following spyro's suggestion of using preinstalled tips and deep insertion i finally found what i was looking for especially bass quality i had hard time finding. I also totally agree that GR10 are very well balanced and transparent while they have just 7 hours of burn-in. I use SE530 for six month but since the left chennal stopped working on new year day morning and i had to ship them to the company to be replaced by brand new pair i decided to see if i can find something better and after reading that some people prefer GR10 to SE535 which are too expensive for me i decided to try them and the only what can i say WOW i'm finally happy but still have a question to those who had chance to compare GR10 to UM3x if i'm missing something by not trying UM3x instead.

So how do they compare to the 530?  Where does the WOW come from?  Be honest, let it all out.  

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #288 of 1,160
UM3X versus GR10

GR10 is quite a bit more musical and cohesive sounding.  GR10 also a little more extended in upper treble is a good way.  VERY revealing which could be good or bad depending the recording.

UM3X thicker sounding, more bass, more liquid, more smooth, more forgiving and not quite as exciting IMHO. (but still a very fine IEM).

Almost a personal preference thing....

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #289 of 1,160

Quote:

In time they become more even and nuanced and that includes bottom and top extension. It's a bit subtle after the initial burn but it will strike you one day that things are just generally better overall, at least it did for me. There's a pair of 530s around that my partner uses and I throw the Grados at him every so often. He's noticed it without brain burn in to bias him.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #290 of 1,160

Quote:
Quote:

In time they become more even and nuanced and that includes bottom and top extension. It's a bit subtle after the initial burn but it will strike you one day that things are just generally better overall, at least it did for me. There's a pair of 530s around that my partner uses and I throw the Grados at him every so often. He's noticed it without brain burn in to bias him.

I agree to this because it happened to me today on my way home when i heard an album sounding so excellent  and lifelike and every note is blended so perfectly blended together especially it is noticeable on bass extension THAT IS WHY i said WOW and such overall balance, clarity and transparency i was looking for and first time heard when i got HD650. You obviously can't compare full size headphones and IEMs but it just sound very similar on the tracks i'm talking about.SE530 while having great mids and highs the bass is lacking quality and laid back even on the tracks where it is known to be tight fast punchy kick drum bass and you can't get overall blending of entire music track
Now it is clear to me that brand new pair of SE530 i got today from SHURE as replacement of my six month old pair which unexpectedly stopped working left ear is going to for sale forum tomorrow but i still have to decide should i open and compare UM3x or just return them back unopened. By the way UM3x with non removable cable sound same as with removable one. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #292 of 1,160

Quote:
UM3X versus GR10

GR10 is quite a bit more musical and cohesive sounding.  GR10 also a little more extended in upper treble is a good way.  VERY revealing which could be good or bad depending the recording.

UM3X thicker sounding, more bass, more liquid, more smooth, more forgiving and not quite as exciting IMHO. (but still a very fine IEM).

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #293 of 1,160
So i end up opening UM3x just to find out that they are not for me. To make story short they have more bass and theirs highs remind me TF10 which i don't like and still trying to sell plus no any equaliser settings let me create nice clear transparent overall presentation. It maybe seal issue but i tried 3 different tips with no difference whatsoever so they going back period. Don''t know yet if after money are back i will try SE535 using current deal

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #294 of 1,160
Hi, I have a UM3X and have owned the old ue super fi 5 pro (can't find replacement cables), ie8 (lost/stolen), SE530 PTH (warrantied and soon to be up for sale when i have 15 posts!!) and I wanted to ask if UM3X would be a complementary earphone to the GR10? 

I do like the bassy warmth of um3x and it sounds fantastic but I am still looking for musical utopia so I keep searching. I loved the SE530s too but I wanted a more complete sounding earphone. The midrange/midbass was nice but while I cannot articulate it as well as some of you can... I always knew there was something missing. 

From what I heard the GR10 is definitely something that has to be experienced, do you guys think I should hang on to the UM3X too? Reading the post above indicates to me that they are completely different. 

If you haven't figured already, I have owned a handful of iems but I am not all that technical or particularly knowledgeable about them. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #295 of 1,160
A follow up question, anyone tried these with the Headstage Arrow? I have been considering combining that amp with my um3x (or maybe the GR10s). Not sure if it's worth the money. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #296 of 1,160
I think a complimentary phone would be one that was on the bassy side of things. Haven't heard the um3x so can't say for sure but I suspect something like that, the W3 or SM3 would also probably fit the bill in a ba. If it were me, I'd think I'd just do a JH5 for $400 as it's warm and in the price range. 1964T may also fit the bill but we don't have enough info on the sig of those yet.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #297 of 1,160
What I personally heard that UM3x have more bass than GR10 and all my attempts to get good balance of bass mids and highs and get great sounding track as a whole using Cowon's A3 equaliser failed and bass was most hard to adjust while GR10 let me get great sounding balanced track where you have just right amount of bass mids and highs without emphasizing one frequency range over another or affecting their presentatation so all instruments sound very natural. Especially i like that i'm getting bass exactly as i like it while i was unable to get it with SE530 that's why my brand new replacement pair will be on sale soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back