GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #302 of 1,160
The MC5 doesn't really do anything well other than isolation. I felt the sound wasn't that great especially after Etymotic took forever to come out with them. They lacked any kind of excitement, resolution, extension and didn't sound that great. I also felt they weren't that good even next to the ViSang R02 while I had them. 

I felt I got a good price on the MC5 of $50 after tax and it still wasn't that great imo.

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #303 of 1,160
I don't see the connection between how long Etymotic took to come out with and their actual performance, but i found the MC5 as good as the GR8 and perhaps even better.  Outstanding resolution, air and bass relative to the GR8.  Much easier to drive.  Almost the same cable as well.  Way better isolation.

On the other hand, I have not found a universal that tops the MTPC in SQ, whereas their ergonomics, cable and looks are pretty awful.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #304 of 1,160

Quote:
I don't see the connection between how long Etymotic took to come out with and their actual performance, but i found the MC5 as good as the GR8 and perhaps even better.  Outstanding resolution, air and bass relative to the GR8.  Much easier to drive.  Almost the same cable as well.  Way better isolation.

On the other hand, I have not found a universal that tops the MTPC in SQ, whereas their ergonomics, cable and looks are pretty awful.

Really?  Just out of curiosity, what is your associated equipment?

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #308 of 1,160
I think the associated equipment is absolutely relevent.  I don't find the GR8 or 10 for that matter to be a cheap and cheerful contender. The better the the electronics in front of them, the better the sound that will be reproduced. The ol' garbage in garbage out effect.
On the flip side of that I think the MTPC is a very very good iem.and it is also happier driven by a wider range of electronics.
Then of course there is personal preference or taste if you will.
I just happen to prefer the Grados  because I've heard what they are truly capable of, are never tiring, and match my personal sound signature preference.
And no, I haven't heard the MC5, that's why I was asking about it.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #309 of 1,160
I have both the MC5 and GR10 and am hearing the MC5 pretty much the same way as dfkt described them. Btw I had been lending him my pair but didn't say a word about what I think of them - and he ended up with very similar impressions. Like I said, I have both but didn't even bother to A/B them, because the GR10 is clearly in a very different league to my ears.

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #310 of 1,160

The GR8 is not nearly as hard to drive as it's made out to be. It's impedence is actually about 60 ohms in the ranges that require power(below 600hz) and it's 18db more effecient than the MC5 and similar to the 535. Something's very wrong if you're finding it harder to drive than an mc5. Looks a lot like a 535 with more at the extreme top.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #311 of 1,160
[size=10pt]Anyone who compared GR10 to some full size? Also, do you need to amp them or they do just fine without one? I know its kind of different, but for me its not, if I have to choose between ATH ESW9 and GR10, I would go for AT. Why? They are cheaper in the first place, but also sound great, even unamped, however way better with one. Even more terrible thing is, I still like my ES7 as far as portable goes, doesn’t have to be that high-end for me, if you know what I mean, very cost effective and, one more time, sound very good, at least to my ears.[/size]
[size=10pt]Honestly, they have to justify their EUR 500 price tag first ( price in EU ) and that's where I am not really impressed so far, just way to expensive, imo. Becides, they look like cheap USD 2 Chinese trash, but that’s another story, I guess.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]THX[/size]

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #313 of 1,160
did you send an email to
blank.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back