Grado Fan Club!
Nov 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10,411 of 65,647
  i've never heard anything home/personal/headphone audio gear in balanced operation,

so, here's the big question, why would i want to go balanced, what are the real , audible, advantages ??

My controversial answer is.......................nothing.  There are no audible advantages, as long as the volume is matched between the single-ended and that balanced signal, neither method alters the sound.  Except over long distances and when dealing with high levels of power, but that's in the pro-audio world.

The only reason I use balanced is because buying the HE adapter was the cheapest way possible for me to power my 5LE's by hooking it to the speaker outs on my receiver.  I also got the balanced cable for the Alpha Dogs for the same reason- and I have a balanced to SE adapter for when I run into my HP out of the receiver. 

Still, when I get the Oppo BDP-105, I will most likely get a balanced amp for a fully-balanced signal path.  Why?  Because I think it looks cool, and if I like my rig, it seems to sound better. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #10,412 of 65,647
Looking to buy some speakers soon. Can anyone recommend a speaker that would appeal to someone who likes the Grado sound?

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #10,413 of 65,647
Congrats on the LCD2 and the Schiit Jay, I know you gonna love them :D . The LCDs and the Grados complement each other with its own merits :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #10,414 of 65,647
  Looking to buy some speakers soon. Can anyone recommend a speaker that would appeal to someone who likes the Grado sound?

The "RC" line by Energy.  Or, to get a bit closer to neutral, but with good sound, the Monitor Audio "RS" or "RX" line.  The RS is slightly older, while the newer is the "RX" line. The RS and RX are a part of the silver line.  As far as platinum line from them goes - get your wallet out ... and your credit car .... and a home equity line of credit too.  The Monitor Audio "RX:" 6 is the newer speaker of the RS-6 that I have.  Two drivers and a tweeter.  About waist height.  For me, it's the last speaker.  After owning them all - Infinity, Klipsch, Polk, Dana, as well as two or three of the mail-order only brands, etc., etc., I like the Monitor Audio the best.  The RX-6 is currently $1,250 per pair.

Edit: I see on Audiogon, Saturday Audio Exchange from Chicago, Ill, has a pair of RS-6 in a neutral (lighter color) for $469.00 (used) + shipping.  The RX-6 price I quoted is MSRP, but you can find them on Audigon for less.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #10,415 of 65,647
Where's a good place to shop for the monitor audio speakers? I see them at audio advisor, but not the full line up. Have only seen the prices of the Gold series....can't wait to see what platinum costs.

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #10,416 of 65,647

The "RC" line by Energy.  Or, to get a bit closer to neutral, but with good sound, the Monitor Audio "RS" or "RX" line.  The RS is slightly older, while the newer is the "RX" line. The RS and RX are a part of the silver line.  As far as platinum line from them goes - get your wallet out ... and your credit car .... and a home equity line of credit too.  The Monitor Audio "RX:" 6 is the newer speaker of the RS-6 that I have.  Two drivers and a tweeter.  About waist height.  For me, it's the last speaker.  After owning them all - Infinity, Klipsch, Polk, Dana, as well as two or three of the mail-order only brands, etc., etc., I like the Monitor Audio the best.  The RX-6 is currently $1,250 per pair.

Edit: I see on Audiogon, Saturday Audio Exchange from Chicago, Ill, has a pair of RS-6 in a neutral (lighter color) for $469.00 (used) + shipping.  The RX-6 price I quoted is MSRP, but you can find them on Audigon for less.

That's really interesting, being a fan of the Gado line. I've actually put together a little medium fi system in a small spare bedroom/computer room and I've got the RX-1 shelf speakers. I use it as my main component system listening to both CD's and also streaming wirelessly running a Sonos streaming system though them-I like them-pretty sweet for about $600, but am feeling upgraditis...why have good if you can have better? I'm saving and thinking about those RX 6's you mentioned. I've thought about the RX-8, but I think the base would overwhelm the small 12 x 12ish room I'm using.

For a good all around speaker that will give you a taste of the high end w/o taking out that second mortgage, I agree the Monitor RX series is worth checking out. BTW, I hear they are upgrading the line in 2014 with a bigger price tag :frowning2: Now would be a good time to get the current speakers before they hike the price....

Good to find someone who has the speakers I've been thinking of that likes them!

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #10,417 of 65,647
That's kind of like going to a bar and asking if anyone likes beer :D  

Personally, I think that the 225i's I own are the best all around can that I own.  Not the best technically, but the most fun to listen to.

+1

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #10,418 of 65,647
  Hey just curious-having just the 225i myself-do you think the fact that you have a good and a potentiall "better" HP affect your analysis of amp? I would assume everything generally sounds better on the 325. Or, perhaps they are close enough to compare amps.

Yes everything does sound better on the 325i, but not better enough for me to walk across the room to switch phones :) In other words, as I said, I don't feel I am missing a whole lot with the 225i. As Bassboysam said, Its a little more bass and better bass, and the same on the high end. I also think they are more detailed throughout, I think due to lower distortion and fewer internal resonances because of the improved housings on the 325.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #10,419 of 65,647
While perusing my usual vendors for a used pair of prestige series grados, I noticed that all of Amazons prices are crazy jacked! Is this simply because they're not an authorized dealer? $200 for SR 60s is just crazy!

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #10,420 of 65,647
While perusing my usual vendors for a used pair of prestige series grados, I noticed that all of Amazons prices are crazy jacked! Is this simply because they're not an authorized dealer? $200 for SR 60s is just crazy!

If you buy through B&H Photo, you will get any Grado model at its original cost. I also happen to be looking on Amazon last night and noticed the same thing with the Grados, CRAZY prices!!!

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #10,421 of 65,647
Are the gimbals on the ps500 metal (like the rs1) or still plastic like on the lower models (325 / 225)?

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #10,422 of 65,647

My controversial answer is.......................nothing.  There are no audible advantages, as long as the volume is matched between the single-ended and that balanced signal, neither method alters the sound.  Except over long distances and when dealing with high levels of power, but that's in the pro-audio world.

The only reason I use balanced is because buying the HE adapter was the cheapest way possible for me to power my 5LE's by hooking it to the speaker outs on my receiver.  I also got the balanced cable for the Alpha Dogs for the same reason- and I have a balanced to SE adapter for when I run into my HP out of the receiver. 

Still, when I get the Oppo BDP-105, I will most likely get a balanced amp for a fully-balanced signal path.  Why?  Because I think it looks cool, and if I like my rig, it seems to sound better. 

i was kinda thinking along those lines, though i admittedly am not that technically inclined, was of the opinion it benefitted the pro audio world more so than than the consumer side,
but i am sure that there are folks out there who believe otherwise,

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #10,424 of 65,647
  If you buy through B&H Photo, you will get any Grado model at its original cost. I also happen to be looking on Amazon last night and noticed the same thing with the Grados, CRAZY prices!!!

Most Grados sold above MSRP are being parallel exported (sold to buyers outside US) to circumvent the local distributor or if there is no distributor. There is no reason for anyone in the US to buy any Grado over MSRP. It is rare to see any Grado sold below MSRP by an authorized dealer, unless part of an overall sale such that they are not excluding Grados from there store-wide discounting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back