Grado Fan Club!
Aug 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #8,821 of 65,584
Quote:
Whatcha sellin?

lol, look on my profile, anything but the lyr just about i'll listen to any offer, i briefly had a listing for the explorer on, and a guy made an offer, i made a counter offer haven't heard back in over 24 hrs, i'm gonna give him the rest of the day
i don't NEED any of the other amps, g3, e09k, LD I+ (i'm leaning to keeping it for a while)
as you can see, i'm in "flux" lol

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #8,822 of 65,584
Quote:
I'm just learning all the tube-relevant stuff now with the Little Dot... probably not quite as necessary as with the Lyr.

the LD is super, and i'd like to hold on to it,its a blast, and the tube rolling options even more fun, i haven't even strapped yet ! but, its the expendable one compared to the lyr,

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #8,823 of 65,584
bought the little shaft collar thingies for my ps1000s. these are awesome!!! now the cups don't slide down, and i bought an extra pair so i can get rid of the little black rubber thingies as well. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #8,824 of 65,584
Quote:
bought the little shaft collar thingies for my ps1000s. these are awesome!!! now the cups don't slide down, and i bought an extra pair so i can get rid of the little black rubber thingies as well. 
biggrin.gif

I don't know if you are referring to the (o-ring) from my photos maybe, but I use the (o-rings) if that is what you are talking about, to protect the plastic rod blocks from being marked up, and I'm sure the PS1000's are a little heavier than the 325's, so the (o-ring) works well.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #8,826 of 65,584
Quote:
I don't know if you are referring to the (o-ring) from my photos maybe, but I use the (o-rings) if that is what you are talking about, to protect the plastic rod blocks from being marked up, and I'm sure the PS1000's are a little heavier than the 325's, so the (o-ring) works well.

theres no o rings, except for the ones in the plastics, those are all unchanged lol. 

i just am using the shaft locks so the cups don't slide cause those o rings suck, the ps1000s are too heavy for them. 

i just got rid of the black little cap thingys on top of the rods. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #8,827 of 65,584
Aug 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #8,828 of 65,584
Quote:
"Until you’ve heard a headphone amp that’ll do 40V p-p into 32 ohms, you haven’t lived." !!! (from the schiit website)
seriously, i've just listened for about 45 minutes , there is plenty of control over the volume, seems normal , what's not normal, or at least i was unprepared
control of the bass, DYNAMIC, PRAT, gobs of it, now its a hybrid, it blows the LD1+ away, and its killer, wanna buy a little dot ?? lol
serious, i do need to sell some ( i now have 4 amps, 2 dacs), i'm relatively sure it WONT be the lyr

MOAR POWER!!!!!!!

Yeah, what you are describing is why I choose to over-power when I can. Voltage and current do wonderful things with transducers!

I just got done listening to 'Birds of Fire' by the Mahavishnu Orchestra on my 225i's.  Heck of an experience.  Now, they are a bit lean in the bass, but the level of detail from $200 cans is impressive. The interplay between Jan Hammer and John McGlaughlin is as good as I have ever heard on any transducer- speaker or headphone.  And the Grado's do wonderful things with percussion

I'm also tweaking JRiver, and am upsampling to output 96K.  Jury's out as to if that makes a difference, but I did not hear anything wrong with it.  I will upgrade to version 19, which can convert all audio files to DSD.

At that point, I am having second thoughts about getting an Oppo BDP-105 for graduation, and may stick to the 103. I think the flexibility of JRiver is just that good, and the savings will buy a lot of music

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #8,829 of 65,584
Quote:
What was the model/part that you bought for those, and where did you get them?  They look great and I've been looking for something like that.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but go to your local hobby store and ask them for shaft collars, they should have them, and they are chrome too. I think they are 1/8, but don't qoute me on that, take a measurement.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #8,830 of 65,584
Quote:

theres no o rings, except for the ones in the plastics, those are all unchanged lol. 

i just am using the shaft locks so the cups don't slide cause those o rings suck, the ps1000s are too heavy for them. 

i just got rid of the black little cap thingys on top of the rods. 

Oh, I didn't know the PS1000 came with an o-ring inside the rod block to prevent them from sliding down.
And I now understand, you took the rubber boots off and replaced them with metal end caps. I thought the end caps may have been
stock on the PS1000 when I first saw the photo. And yes the shaft collars are awesome and they look real cool too, I also have them on my 80's, plus being I'm the only one who uses both headphones, they're always adjusted for my head, which in turn decreases the wear on the rod block so the holes don't get oblong from constantly adjusting them.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #8,831 of 65,584
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Nice looking headphones you got there!!!  Chrome is very nice.  Must get some of those collars for my phones, also.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #8,832 of 65,584
Quote:
MOAR POWER!!!!!!!

Yeah, what you are describing is why I choose to over-power when I can. Voltage and current do wonderful things with transducers!

I just got done listening to 'Birds of Fire' by the Mahavishnu Orchestra on my 225i's.  Heck of an experience.  Now, they are a bit lean in the bass, but the level of detail from $200 cans is impressive. The interplay between Jan Hammer and John McGlaughlin is as good as I have ever heard on any transducer- speaker or headphone.  And the Grado's do wonderful things with percussion

I'm also tweaking JRiver, and am upsampling to output 96K.  Jury's out as to if that makes a difference, but I did not hear anything wrong with it.  I will upgrade to version 19, which can convert all audio files to DSD.

At that point, I am having second thoughts about getting an Oppo BDP-105 for graduation, and may stick to the 103. I think the flexibility of JRiver is just that good, and the savings will buy a lot of music

the voltage and current tighten everything up, make it snappy !
and as a preamp for my speakers(psb ps1) waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the fiio, the tubes are in the circuit,
i tried messing with the sampling, i ended up leaving it native rate

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #8,833 of 65,584
Just popping into this thread to show my apprciation for Grado too! I have been using SR60i cans for a few years, and they were amazing compared so many other head phones

Then last weekend I tried their RS2i headphones and hot damn, I was like I'm buying these they sounded that amazing. My girlfriend tried them and thought they weren't even on and my monitor speakers were on. 

Running them though a Fiio E17 and at home a E09K

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #8,834 of 65,584
Quote:
lol, look on my profile, anything but the lyr just about i'll listen to any offer, i briefly had a listing for the explorer on, and a guy made an offer, i made a counter offer haven't heard back in over 24 hrs, i'm gonna give him the rest of the day
i don't NEED any of the other amps, g3, e09k, LD I+ (i'm leaning to keeping it for a while)
as you can see, i'm in "flux" lol

I'm good on amps for now. (saving for a Taboo MK III) I'd strongly advise you to keep the little dot if you like to fiddle... its a great little amp that can be modded easily (have you rolled an op amp?) and the amount of tubes to try is crazy!

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #8,835 of 65,584
My introduction to Grado-land was the SR80. These were broken after a few years, and I moved on to an MS1 by Alessandro run through a Little Dot MK III.  Badly mixed or sourced music sounds bad, everything else sounds quite nice. I spent 25 years away from audiophile headphones, and must say that cans are a much more intimate listening environment in which it is easier to find and appreciate details.

For the spoken word, folk, world, acoustic jazz and classical that I listen to I think that an open back design is optimal. I was listening to "Moola Mantra" a month ago, and caught the percussionist _almost_ making a mistake, catching it and fixing it without more than a very slight pause. I know that wasn't audible with my speaker system or low-fidelity headphones. The sound stage of the Grado-verse matches my listening preferences, and I can hardly wait to hear how my Martin-built Turbulent X phones will further reveal my music.

Good starting points for Grados would include Steeleye Span, Niyaz, Dar Williams, Anne Hills, Maddy Pryor, Union Station, Joan Baez and Lucinda Williams. Most of Bach's works are a decided win for these cans as is spoken word or audio drama. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back