Grado Fan Club!
May 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,068 of 65,579
Is anyone else running a Shiit Vahalla with their Grado's?

I am really interested in this amp, but have read that it is not a super match for lower impedance cans, as well as being more neutral than other tube amps.  I'd love to hear from a few people that are using a Valhalla with Grado's.

Thoughts?

I know the LD i+ is a good match, but it is so damned ugly.  (I don't care, aesthetics matter to me damn it!)

May 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #7,069 of 65,579
Quote:
Well I went and listened to the SR325 today and I think a lot of you knew what was going to happen and instead of saying something you just stood there with a big grin on your face waiting. They were pretty much what you would expect of the top phone in that line, much smoother from top to bottom, I for one, did not hear ANY high end harshness, and clairity like you would not believe. I thought they would be uncomfortable to wear as they are a LOT heavier than my 225s, but for some reason, they were very comfortable. I kept waiting for the top of my head to start hurting and it never happened, maybe I just have a hard head. Anyway, I am going to be selling a couple other phones to get enough money for these, one of those 'Must Have!!' moments. I absolutely have to have a pair of these now...curse you people for even mentioning the 325i

The clarity is what makes me smile every time I put these things on. Everyone says Grados are for rock, but I really love them for acoustic stuff, bluegrass, small ensemble classical, etc.. The click of the pick on the strings, the fingers sliding on the frets, bows on strings and such really come alive. I have never experienced harshness either. I wouldn't recommend them for a basshead, but the bass is not lacking. Its extends low and is nice, clean and tight. I've had good results boosting sub bass frequencies (50hz and down) with eq just a bit for just a little more umph.  

May 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #7,070 of 65,579
Quote:
Is anyone else running a Shiit Vahalla with their Grado's?

I am really interested in this amp, but have read that it is not a super match for lower impedance cans, as well as being more neutral than other tube amps.  I'd love to hear from a few people that are using a Valhalla with Grado's.

Thoughts?

I know the LD i+ is a good match, but it is so damned ugly.  (I don't care, aesthetics matter to me damn it!)

The thing with the Vahalla is the same I encountered with the Little Dot MKIII. 32 ohm is the very lowest recommended impedance as they are really designed for higher impedance phones. The Schiit Lyr will be a better match.

Of course, this is paper specs. At one point, I had a Little Dot I+ and MKIII and on some recordings I swear I preferred the "poorly matched" MKIII to the I+. I eventually kept the I+ mainly because it was cheaper and the difference to my ears was a wash. If you like the looks of the MKIII I would recommend trying it. The Little Dot I+ and Shiit Lyr are technically the "properly matched" options, however.

May 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #7,071 of 65,579
Quote:
The thing with the Vahalla is the same I encountered with the Little Dot MKIII. 32 ohm is the very lowest recommended impedance as they are really designed for higher impedance phones. The Schiit Lyr will be a better match.

Of course, this is paper specs. At one point, I had a Little Dot I+ and MKIII and on some recordings I swear I preferred the "poorly matched" MKIII to the I+. I eventually kept the I+ mainly because it was cheaper and the difference to my ears was a wash. If you like the looks of the MKIII I would recommend trying it. The Little Dot I+ and Shiit Lyr are technically the "properly matched" options, however.

i was really interested in the valhalla too, even emailed schiit and inquired, jason said the asgard 2 is really the way to go,
but i'd really like a tube amp also, so little dot I+, indeed g3,  i'd like to try a kit eventually so i'm looking at the project sunrise ii, and starlight,
i'm also kinda interested in the ifi ican, hell, i want'em all    lol

May 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #7,074 of 65,579
Quote:
After much thought i have decided to get the SR225i, what amp works well with it?

Grados don't "need" and amp technically - you can drive them right off a phone, computer, or any other source, but lots of folks seem to like the combination of tube amps with Grados. There's plenty of people also running solid state as well. I'm using a Little Dot I+ at the moment and really like it, but the possibilities are endless.

May 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #7,076 of 65,579
May 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #7,077 of 65,579
Quote:
The Little Dot I+ mentioned a couple of times over the last couple of days works very well. Do you want solid state? Portable? What budget?

Around 500-600 dollars, i'll have too look around for it because i can't seem to find that one in Australia.

Edit: sorry want Solid state one, i have a Audioengine D1 at the moment for portability

May 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7,078 of 65,579
The clarity is what makes me smile every time I put these things on. Everyone says Grados are for rock, but I really love them for acoustic stuff, bluegrass, small ensemble classical, etc.. The click of the pick on the strings, the fingers sliding on the frets, bows on strings and such really come alive. I have never experienced harshness either. I wouldn't recommend them for a basshead, but the bass is not lacking. Its extends low and is nice, clean and tight. I've had good results boosting sub bass frequencies (50hz and down) with eq just a bit for just a little more umph.  

1+ to this.

Having owned lots of cans, I just can't buy the "Grados are too bright" line. Too bright is excessssive ssssibilance, tooth enamel cracking brass, and painful electric guitar. Grado is none of this.

It is a more forward presentation, Row A rather than Row J, and I love it. The detail is there, and I end up listening at a lower level than with several other well regarded cans.

May 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #7,079 of 65,579
Quote:
1+ to this.

Having owned lots of cans, I just can't buy the "Grados are too bright" line. Too bright is excessssive ssssibilance, tooth enamel cracking brass, and painful electric guitar. Grado is none of this.

It is a more forward presentation, Row A rather than Row J, and I love it. The detail is there, and I end up listening at a lower level than with several other well regarded cans.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

May 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #7,080 of 65,579
Quote:
1+ to this.

Quote:
Well said, my thoughts exactly.

I agree too :)

I've spent ALOT of time listening to music to effectively pull apart its sonic quality's (and in the process ruin that track for me). I think the Grado's i have and the ones I've tried aren't bright and harsh so to speak. They are tight in the mid and top end for sure, its its a fairly 'dry' sound IMO. But its most definitely not a bad thing. I think they sound great with all genres I've listened to so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back