Grado Fan Club!
Jan 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #6,121 of 65,607
Do you mean they have different shaped ears or they just hear things differently? And are you saying they listen to completely different music to everyone else?

But hang on, aren't some of the other brands (Audio Technica for one) Japanese as well? They must sound boring also.

I remember Olive did a study a few years ago comparing Japanese and American listeners and their preferences, and found there wasn't a significant difference between the two when it comes to what kind of speaker they will generally preference.

The bigger take-away from that, at least to me, is that we're more similar than we are different - no point in building walls or drawing lines. :)

Here's some of that from Olive's blog:
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2010/07/are-there-cross-cultural-preferences-in.html
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2012/05/more-evidence-that-kids-even-japanese.html

I've moved the Grado love from David's review thread to here, should anyone wonder why a bunch of posts suddenly appeared.

That explains a lot. haha!

I've been wanting to try a tube amp as of lately, but wanted something cheap to try out and see where it goes. I came across a MF X-Cans; is $140 a good price for it? any help is appreciated.

I think it depends *which* X-CAN.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #6,122 of 65,607
I have had my Grado HF-2 since they were first available, I have almost sold them twice thinking they were just ok. Boy, I am glad I didn't, they have become my favorite headphone. Period. After a long break-in period they have settled into some fine heaphones. The longer I listen the more I love how they sound. The detail is so sweet and the bass has the right amount of slam with a nice warm mid-range that is not peaky at all. The bass was quite flabby for a long time. All my music just sounds right with the Grado's, I don't know what it is about Grado but he knows how to get you past the headphone itself and listening to the music and really that is what we want to do...LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!! I still wish I hadn't sold my SR-60's, they sounded so good, long live my HF-2's.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #6,123 of 65,607

Quote:
I've been wanting to try a tube amp as of lately, but wanted something cheap to try out and see where it goes. I came across a MF X-Cans; is $140 a good price for it? any help is appreciated.

Quote:
I think it depends *which* X-CAN.

here's the amp I'm referring to:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111000388585
listing says X-Cans V2, but the pictures of the amp don't have the "V2" on it.
Anyone care to chime in?

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #6,125 of 65,607
Quote:
here's the amp I'm referring to:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111000388585
listing says X-Cans V2, but the pictures of the amp don't have the "V2" on it.
Anyone care to chime in?

I think it has sold.
That was a good one - an early V2. which was made in England. Later Versions are marked "Designed in England, Made in Taiwan".
X Can - heads prefer the Made in England versions.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #6,126 of 65,607
Hey guys, first post here but longtime Audiophile.

I;ve owned my RS325is for close to six months now, and I believe they;re finally starting to hit their mark. Initially I was hugely underwhelmed, but theyve finally started to come into their own (especially after flipping the cups round).

All I need now, is to grab a dedicated headphone amp and hook them into my system (I don;t use the 325s for critical listening or anything)..Would be interesting to see how they sound!

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #6,127 of 65,607
Quote:
I think it has sold.
That was a good one - an early V2. which was made in England. Later Versions are marked "Designed in England, Made in Taiwan".
X Can - heads prefer the Made in England versions.

Yes, I bought this combo because of the amp (sr125 will probably go up for sale soon). After sending payment, I noticed in the pictures that the amp was not marked "V2", so I was unsure if it really was a V2 or previous version? Anyway, this clears things up a bit and I'm looking forward to trying out my first tube amp.
size]

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6,128 of 65,607
Quote:
how much of burn-in were the transducer settled down ?
after how much time did you realized that you should call your HF-2 as a "keeper" ?

It really is hard to say, I don't really keep track of my hours listening. Only after giving them serious head time did I start to notice they sounded way better than when I first got them(of course this could all be psychological, but I don't think it is completely) . It took over 2 years of on and off, to get where I use them all the time.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6,129 of 65,607
Quote:
Yes, I bought this combo because of the amp (sr125 will probably go up for sale soon). After sending payment, I noticed in the pictures that the amp was not marked "V2", so I was unsure if it really was a V2 or previous version? Anyway, this clears things up a bit and I'm looking forward to trying out my first tube amp.
size]

I can't tell you what the difference is between the first X-CAN and the V2, but at least you know it was made in England, i really like mine and it's not going anywhere soon, my V2 came with Jan Phillips 6922 millitary grade tubes, but since i've had my V2 for 11 years, i doubt that yours being older, still has the original tubes.

Quote:

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #6,131 of 65,607
Grado will never die ! It's method of sound production is like no other phone. It has a certain dynamics and open-ess and a type of realism no senn, beyer, lcd et al comes close to. That being said, grado design has some flaws that need tuning for real reference sound, which not everyone desires in the first place so an hf2 or RS may be all that is ever needed. I love both of those phones for different reasons, the hf has that smoothness and accuracy in instrument reproduction and the one piece wood cup rs has the aliveness and realism. That's why I had to go DIY and make my ideal grado. From my vantage point, Joe stumbled on a great idea and john took it off in an interesting direction. But this is not a diy thread, I digress.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #6,132 of 65,607
Quote:
size]

I've seen the V2 versions marked V2, so that might actually be a V1 you purchased. Both are good!

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #6,133 of 65,607
thinking about a new Grado purchase

If i do
Its Ramen-Fi for ol Cakensaur.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #6,134 of 65,607
Quote:

I can't tell you what the difference is between the first X-CAN and the V2, but at least you know it was made in England, i really like mine and it's not going anywhere soon, my V2 came with Jan Phillips 6922 millitary grade tubes, but since I've had my V2 for 11 years, i doubt that yours being older, still has the original tubes.

that's what I was thinking also. I should have the package here in about 3 days so I'll find out soon enough.
size]

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6,135 of 65,607
thinking about a new Grado purchase

If i do
Its Ramen-Fi for ol Cakensaur.

Lol. It's worth it.

Great to see the x-cans still being mentioned every now and then. I think they do sound great with Grados.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back