Grado Fan Club!
Sep 11, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4,486 of 65,593
Sep 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,488 of 65,593
Haven't heard the MS2i - but relativity between MS1i vs SR80i/SR125i to my ears was that the highs were dropped back a notch, and the mid-range has slightly more emphasis as a result.  You could say that they are a slightly more 'polite' version of the classic Grado sound - with emphasis on 'slightly'.  I always regarded the MS1i as better value than the SR60i, SR80i or SR125i ..... YMMV.

Hippo Case - not sure what model he has - but it's likely to be something like this:
http://www.headfonia.com/headphone-transporter-the-hippocase/

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #4,489 of 65,593
Quote:
Please bear in mind that, as per Grado, the 225 and 325 don't seem to be the exact same drivers.
325is = Frequency Response 18-24
225i =  FR 20-22

Never rely on graphs just like you should never rely on a manufacturers description of the sound to get your own conclusions. It's people on the street like you and I you need to trust to accurately describe them. I'm a bit isolated from the rest of the "review" community so none of the "kool-aid" that circulates around applies to me when I make an objective statement on how a headphone sounds, followed by my own purely subjective statement.

SR225 and 325 could still very much be the same driver. It's just the enclosure must allow for deeper extension that can be picked up by instruments.. I'm almost positive the drivers are the same past the SR-125 because I used to mod a lot with the SR-60 mod thread started by Bilavideo and it was hard to make them apart after the SR-125. The SR-60 and 80 driver is the same once you DIY your own cable or swap the 80 cable over.

The RS however, as the other guy said, is actually a different presentation of the same sound. It's the same signature at heart, but suddenly everything sounds more organic.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #4,490 of 65,593
Chris, I could go back to my personal listening tests but it's too much trouble. I have 3 sets of woodies and I played with all the drivers I had at one time. I remember that on the same wood shell, the 125s sounded different when listening with the 325s on the same shells. I did not A-B them, maybe I was biased, maybe the 125s wore "bad" drivers so the 325 "should" sound better... for me, the 325 had more sparkle in the top end and more kick on the bass (mids were quite similar but even then 325 a bit more air and zing), no night-and-day experience but I found them different, with the 325s being the better overall driver. Of course, you listen to a lot more drivers than I do (hope business is doing well)!

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #4,491 of 65,593
I'd started a thread to get info about these, but received no response yet.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626968/super-rare-never-seen-before-vintage-rs1s-lots-of-pictures#post_8691838
These are supposed to be the one of the first RS1s. The fisrt run comprised of 200 RS1s

More pictures are on my thread.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #4,492 of 65,593
im a big pc gamer. after several years of buying cheap headsets every few months i finally took the plunge and bought grado 60's and a desktop mic. never looked back. everything sounds SO much better! music,movies, and dont even get me started on games. i dont know how i played games without my grados. 2 years and going.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #4,493 of 65,593
Quote:
Chris, I could go back to my personal listening tests but it's too much trouble. I have 3 sets of woodies and I played with all the drivers I had at one time. I remember that on the same wood shell, the 125s sounded different when listening with the 325s on the same shells. I did not A-B them, maybe I was biased, maybe the 125s wore "bad" drivers so the 325 "should" sound better... for me, the 325 had more sparkle in the top end and more kick on the bass (mids were quite similar but even then 325 a bit more air and zing), no night-and-day experience but I found them different, with the 325s being the better overall driver. Of course, you listen to a lot more drivers than I do (hope business is doing well)!

This is consitent with Chris' findings - that there is a difference between the 125 drivers and the 225/325. Even the Grado info implies closer tolerances for the 225/325 over the lower SR models. The question was if there is a difference between 225 and 325.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #4,494 of 65,593
Quote:
I'd started a thread to get info about these, but received no response yet.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626968/super-rare-never-seen-before-vintage-rs1s-lots-of-pictures#post_8691838
These are supposed to be the one of the first RS1s. The fisrt run comprised of 200 RS1s

More pictures are on my thread.

I remember when they were listed and there was a brief discussion on their 'originality' in the Grado Fab Club.
If i recall, the two major doubts were 1) the sellers strangely worded claim to be a Grado 'dealer' and 2) the fact that the gimbal rods were round. 
The consensus was that the earliest models should have square rods.
Let us know if you inquire about them with Grado.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #4,495 of 65,593
Yeah the rods should be square on old RS Grados. :xf_eek:

On the debate between the Grado drivers - what are the chances we're just seeing different tolerances between the two? I mean say they have Grado XYZ as their driver, and ALL their headphones use XYZ, but say the overall manufacturing has like 10% tolerance, and it has to be within say 1% to be an RS, 5% to be a 325, and so on until it becomes the SR-60. I don't know if this is true, but I'm just curious about that - it might explain some of the varied user reports.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #4,496 of 65,593
Quote:
Yeah the rods should be square on old RS Grados.
redface.gif
of course the original rods/gimbals could have been changed at some point
On the debate between the Grado drivers - what are the chances we're just seeing different tolerances between the two? I mean say they have Grado XYZ as their driver, and ALL their headphones use XYZ, but say the overall manufacturing has like 10% tolerance, and it has to be within say 1% to be an RS, 5% to be a 325, and so on until it becomes the SR-60. I don't know if this is true, but I'm just curious about that - it might explain some of the varied user reports.
+1 on this. Likely different tolerances between batches as well. Also unknown 'treatment' to some drivers after selection may not always be consistent. Maybe why they don't sound clinical, 'cause they're not - they're musical.

Sep 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4,497 of 65,593
I do remember reading something that before Grado started doing "de-stressing" (which afaik they've never expanded on what that means), they were experimenting/working with some sort of paint-on material to influence the sound and get that "musical" nature. I don't know if any production models have that trait, but they certainly aren't averse to tweaking their designs for improvements over time - either overtly or covertly (I mean look at all of the variations within the RS-1 line, and it's only been re-named once).

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,498 of 65,593
anybody ever tried the L-Cush pads on the PS1000? actually prefer that to the G-cush, go figure. I like the way the pads are on my ears
Might get to use the 1k more now.
Can not claim that I hear a whole lot of difference in the pads when listening to albums

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #4,499 of 65,593
Picked up a pair of sr80i a little while back. must be the gateway drug into high end headphones because I am already looking around for my next purchase. not sure if it's going to be another pair of grados or maybe hifiman he400. I am not quite familiar with all of the jargon quite yet on this site but my musical tastes mostly involves rock and roll. Radiohead, U2, White Stripes, David Bazan etc. I love the Grados treatment of guitar. I am also the kind of person who likes tight bass and turns the treble all the way up on my car stereo. So I am thinking of either the 400 or the 325i/possibly rs-1. Anyways hi to the folks here at the grado fan club.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #4,500 of 65,593
Quote:
Picked up a pair of sr80i a little while back. must be the gateway drug into high end headphones because I am already looking around for my next purchase. not sure if it's going to be another pair of grados or maybe hifiman he400. I am not quite familiar with all of the jargon quite yet on this site but my musical tastes mostly involves rock and roll. Radiohead, U2, White Stripes, David Bazan etc. I love the Grados treatment of guitar. I am also the kind of person who likes tight bass and turns the treble all the way up on my car stereo. So I am thinking of either the 400 or the 325i/possibly rs-1. Anyways hi to the folks here at the grado fan club.

The 80s were not my first headphone, but they were the headphones that proved to me that I can love headphones as much as speakers. Many of us love Grados, but there is a whole world of amazing products out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back