Grado Fan Club!
Sep 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4,456 of 65,772
Quote:
Looks like your having one of them i wish i got the 325i's moments..he's going to mod the headphones anyways so he should get the best sounding headphones!

No regrets here. I didn't like the look of the 325is larger cups ad the extra weight with the new cable is too much. I complimented my 225is with used MS2 with the smaller cups and longer, lighter cable. I had to buy a leather headband for my 225is, because I didn't like the vinyl. This is the only point I was making in response to the question of which to buy for an eventual mod project. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #4,457 of 65,772
Quote:
What's everyone's opinion on the RS2i? I haven't really seen anybody talk about them the past couple pages. Is it a worthy upgrade from someone who has the SR80i's? Big differences (positive)? And for the price, is it a much better sounding headphone in comparison to the SR325is?

Critics (at least the ones who like Grados) seem to give the RS2i more love than the majority here.  The 2 is different than what you know as the Grado sound, listening to the SR's.  The RS does not have that slam and wall of sound that marks the SR line.  The sound stage is much bigger.  The bass is lower.  The clarity and separation between musical voices is enhanced.  The RS sound is more organic/natural.

The 325 is a transitional can between the SR and RS signature sounds.  It is clearly an SR, while hinting at what the differences are in the next line up.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4,458 of 65,772
Quote:
I don't think the woodworking or build quality are better. They make both as well as they can for the price. The price difference is only $200. With retail mark-ups that means the RS1 likely costs $40 - $50 more to build than the RS2. That cost is easily eaten up by the larger cups, which require a bigger piece of wood to machine and the metal gimbals. The plastic gimbals are basically free to Grado as they already have the machine and mold to make as many as they like cheaply. Without the metal bits, the RS1 and RS2 would be priced close. This is also why only the top Grados get the metal. 

Actually they use a binning process which separates the chaff from the good stuff, all non RS grade drivers become SR series from what I understand. So technically they gotta make a butt ton of "other" headphones before they get one thats like.. RS-1 good.

In theory depending on their consistency and tolerances at Grado, it could actually not cost them anything to make an RS-1 over RS-2 other than that extra 1/4" of wood you get on the cups.

Indeed they even make the plastic parts in-house, but I'm not sure if thats onsite because from what I saw, they were manufacturered in some sort of sweatshop in an apartment.

Quote:
What's everyone's opinion on the RS2i? I haven't really seen anybody talk about them the past couple pages. Is it a worthy upgrade from someone who has the SR80i's? Big differences (positive)? And for the price, is it a much better sounding headphone in comparison to the SR325is?

Yes it's good.. the RS-1's were too much of a jump at $700 for me, so I got RS-2 and I've never owned an RS-1 despite owning more expensive headphones to date. Something something about sentimentality I guess you could say.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #4,460 of 65,772
Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I guess I'm also kinda in that situation where the extra $200 jump from RS-2i to the RS-1i seems a little steep. But then again I get that feeling that I should either go big or go home on my next purchase which has kind of convinced me to consider the RS-2i instead of merely upgrading to the SR325i. Can anyone go into anymore details on how the RS line compares to the SR?

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4,461 of 65,772
Just bought the sr225is and I'm loving the sound. None of the constant gripes I've read are of any problem to me.
Comfort? Is it just me or are grados much more comfortable than they're made out to be?
Build quality? Yeah, not that great, but nothing to cry over.
Leakage? I've read somewhere that grados leak more than most open headphones. These are my first open headphones, so I have nothing to compare it to, but, at my preferred listening level, I can barely hear them when I take them off.
Loving them so far.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4,462 of 65,772
Quote:
Comfort? Is it just me or are grados much more comfortable than they're made out to be?

Not just you...I found the same thing. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4,463 of 65,772
Quote:

The rap on Grado comfort is that some don't like the on-ear rather than in-ear or over-ear design. Grados are, imo, as comfortable as other on-ear 'phones of the same size/weight. Personally I don't like over-ear and really only use Grados or IEMs when I need to isolate.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,464 of 65,772
Two (at least two) facts seem to float to the top of this discussion about comfort.  First is that many people find the stock Grados (and Alessandros) to be uncomfortable--significnatly more than the average headphone.  Second, comfort is a very (very, very) individual thing.  When someone seeks a recommendation and one of his/her requirements is that the can must be comfortable or very comfortable, it is the most difficult (if not impossible) question to answer.  There is only one way to know for sure.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #4,465 of 65,772
Quote:
Quote:

The rap on Grado comfort is that some don't like the on-ear rather than in-ear or over-ear design. Grados are, imo, as comfortable as other on-ear 'phones of the same size/weight. Personally I don't like over-ear and really only use Grados or IEMs when I need to isolate.

You use Grados when you need to isolate?

How so?

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #4,467 of 65,772
Quote:
No, I use Grados, or I use IEMs when I need to isolate. Evidently I also use bad grammar. :/

Sorry i got bored the threads are drying up!

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #4,468 of 65,772
If I am going to end up modding the 'phones to hell (woodies etc), does it matter which model I get?  I guess I'm asking if there's some difference between the 80i vs 225i vs 325i that even modding can't change.  Are the drivers all the same for instance?

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #4,469 of 65,772
Quote:
If I am going to end up modding the 'phones to hell (woodies etc), does it matter which model I get?  I guess I'm asking if there's some difference between the 80i vs 225i vs 325i that even modding can't change.  Are the drivers all the same for instance?

IMO there is definitely a difference in the 3 drivers that doesn't simply come down to the enclosures etc.  The 325is are definitely very different to the 225is (325i's brighter. more detailed, punchier bass).  I know Obob questions the idea of buying 325i if you're going to mod them extensively.  My way of thinking as follows (assuming you want 325i drivers):

[a] Buy either SR60i or MS1i ($100)
 - add vibro cups (+$95)
 - add headband (+$38)
 - add cable - your call - I built one with canare mini starquad - cost $10-20 by the time I got the parts to NZ.  I'll leave this one out of the equation.
 - add 325i drivers (+$70ish) assuming you can find some used in the FS forum eventually
Total ~  $300

Buy second hand 325i on forums here $205 (example http://www.head-fi.org/t/626875/grado-325is-perfect-condition)
 - sell aluminium cups ($-50) .... someone bound to want them - I bought and sold mine on FS forum
 - add vibro cups (+$95)
 - add cable - your call - I built one with canare mini starquad - cost $10-20 by the time I got the parts to NZ. I'll leave this one out of the equation.
Total ~ $250
If you don't like the Grado headband - this even leaves room to add a new manta headband and come in under the $300 mark.

I went the option one route - mainly because I was transitioning and playing around.  It would have actually been better to take option 2 in hindsight.  Plus - if you get the 325is and mod, you already have the bowls - rrather than just the comfy pads.

Hope this assists your thought process.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4,470 of 65,772
Quote:

IMO there is definitely a difference in the 3 drivers that doesn't simply come down to the enclosures etc.  The 325is are definitely very different to the 225is (325i's brighter. more detailed, punchier bass).  I know Obob questions the idea of buying 325i if you're going to mod them extensively.  My way of thinking as follows (assuming you want 325i drivers):

[a] Buy either SR60i or MS1i ($100)
 - add vibro cups (+$95)
 - add headband (+$38)
 - add cable - your call - I built one with canare mini starquad - cost $10-20 by the time I got the parts to NZ.  I'll leave this one out of the equation.
 - add 325i drivers (+$70ish) assuming you can find some used in the FS forum eventually
Total ~  $300

Buy second hand 325i on forums here $205 (example http://www.head-fi.org/t/626875/grado-325is-perfect-condition)
 - sell aluminium cups ($-50) .... someone bound to want them - I bought and sold mine on FS forum
 - add vibro cups (+$95)
 - add cable - your call - I built one with canare mini starquad - cost $10-20 by the time I got the parts to NZ. I'll leave this one out of the equation.
Total ~ $250
If you don't like the Grado headband - this even leaves room to add a new manta headband and come in under the $300 mark.

I went the option one route - mainly because I was transitioning and playing around.  It would have actually been better to take option 2 in hindsight.  Plus - if you get the 325is and mod, you already have the bowls - rrather than just the comfy pads.

Hope this assists your thought process.

The drivers for the 225 and 325 are closer matched than the 60, 80 or 125. As such that's what you want. if you want the closest matched Grado drivers.Objectively most agree the difference in sound between the 60/80/125 and the 225 result from drivers, cables and the metal screens. Differences between the 225 and 325 are likely a result of the metal vs. plastic cups. That's just an objective view based on what Grado is actually changing between the models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back