Grado Fan Club!
Dec 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #1,381 of 65,788
Quote:
Also this has been discussed to death, but can you guys even hear a difference between RS-2 and RS-1? The physical difference is that the RS-2 uses drivers that don't meet the RS-1 binning and that the wood cups are a bit longer... but is that really it for 200 more bucks? I swear I can't tell the difference, I have a Grado dealer like 20 minutes from where I live and I can't really hear anything substantial.

I can say that the bass of the MS Pro & RS1 definitely reach lower and has more power/impact than the RS2. Listening to the RS2 vs either of the MS Pro or RS1 makes it sound quite lean.
Not just my ears, my friend's ears agreed too.
Another is the instrument separation (something I'm a bit obsessed about) is quite amazing for the higher model. Especially the MS Pro.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,382 of 65,788

Quote:
I can say that the bass of the MS Pro & RS1 definitely reach lower and has more power/impact than the RS2. Listening to the RS2 vs either of the MS Pro or RS1 makes it sound quite lean.
Another is the instrument separation (something I'm a bit obsessed about) is quite amazing for the higher model. Especially the MS Pro.

and just more comfortable want to add

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,383 of 65,788
Well wait until you hear the separation on the Magnum. (Sorry I could not resist)  
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,384 of 65,788
I've always found the RS2 to be a little bright, and lacking in the spatial depth (layering of sounds) that the RS1 provides. I think it has a similar timbre, but lacks the body. 

Between the RS2 and the 325i, I actually prefer the 325i. I think apart from the timbre and warmth, it does the aforementioned things better than the RS2.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #1,387 of 65,788
Lol I had my RS-2's on earlier today and I had to take them off to double check that my speakers weren't on lol. Then I had to check if they were my real RS-2's or just the RS-2's loaded with the Magnums.... and it was the factory RS-2's... so hey I wouldn't fret too much if you dont have 'em apparently they're still good enough to trick me haha

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,388 of 65,788

Quote:
Lol I had my RS-2's on earlier today and I had to take them off to double check that my speakers weren't on lol. Then I had to check if they were my real RS-2's or just the RS-2's loaded with the Magnums.... and it was the factory RS-2's... so hey I wouldn't fret too much if you dont have 'em apparently they're still good enough to trick me haha

Aha! Chris gotcha 
biggrin.gif

That's more or less proof man that Grado's can spin a sound stage, especially depth (perhaps not width and certainly
 not height, but few cans are able to project a forehead shot eg, HD800 being the only one for me)

I was at the store yesterday and one of the guys who works down there auditioned my SR80i's out of a ALO
 Continental portable tube amp with nothing more than my iShuffle playing some tracks from the
 'Man Who Was Not There' soundtrack and that was the first thing he said

'Cor man, nice sound stage!'

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,389 of 65,788
Dec 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,391 of 65,788
Unfortunately, I will soon be selling my 325is... why they can't be more comfortable is frustrating.  The detailed, clear highs and in-your-head midrange is a shot of adrenaline for the ears.  I'm listening to "NIN - the Slip" right now on them at Gwarmi's suggestion and rockin' out.

I'm going to stick with my AKG Q701 until I get to audition something better that I know won't be a sidegrade.  I wish the G-cush "salad bowl" pads were more prominent on Grado's radar when they were designing the PS500, in which case I would give them an extended listen.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #1,393 of 65,788
Wanted to let everyone know that I just traded in my Beyerdynamic DT770 and Audio-Techina ATH 700 and a little cash for the Grado SR325is. Couldn't be happier right now
biggrin.gif

Can't wait until they burn in a little more

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,395 of 65,788
I joined the grado family with my new purchase of rs2 just a few days ago. Although coming from a k701 which I still own, I have to say, after few days of extensive listening, I finally understand the passion of all the grado fans out there. It is a very very special sound and it is very very very addictive!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back