Grado Fan Club!
Dec 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,396 of 66,258
Dec 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,397 of 66,258
I got the Grado SR-325is in today to compare with my SR-225i. I was surprised that the difference is much smaller than I expected. Nothing major like going from an HD-600 to an HD-650. This SR-325is is totally different than what I expected. I saw some graphs and I expected lots of treble stabbing me in the ears along with upper mids that were much too forward. This definitely hasn't been the case.

The biggest difference so far is that the soundstage seems to be more accurate. For example, if someone is singing and it sounds distant, it's that way in the recording. There's some music that sounds as if it's recorded in a cave. I haven't done a ton of side by side comparisons, but it does seem to offer a more accurate soundstage. About the same size.

The only music that bothers me is some really brightly (poorly) recorded Jpop. Sometimes this music sounds as if they just boosted the mids and treble when recording it.

I was expecting to plug my Grado into my Headroom Micro Amp + HRT Music Streamer II and have the sound signature all screwy, but the sound signature thankfully does not seem to change much. I wish it was like this with my Q701 and all amps made it sound the same.

The 325i also has more bass, but it's not a big difference at all. I did feel the bass on the 225i was a bit lacking, but on the 325is it's a tiny bit better.

Comfort seems to be better. Probably just due to the headband, but who knows.

Right now there is definitely more treble, but it's not bad at all. I didn't need the extra treble at all really. Sound clarity seems about the same to my ears (so far).

For me just the bass + what seems like a better soundstage is worth the extra money. Don't know why or how the soundstage could be any different.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,398 of 66,258

Give them some time to loosing up and the Bass will get better. More then 3% for sure. Do you have a tube amplifier to try them on? Both would take advantage of the warm frm tube.
Quote:
I got the Grado SR-325is in today to compare with my SR-225i. I was surprised that the difference is much smaller than I expected. Nothing major like going from an HD-600 to an HD-650. This SR-325is is totally different than what I expected. I saw some graphs and I expected lots of treble stabbing me in the ears along with upper mids that were much too forward. This definitely hasn't been the case.

The biggest difference so far is that the soundstage seems to be more accurate. For example, if someone is singing and it sounds distant, it's that way in the recording. There's some music that sounds as if it's recorded in a cave. I haven't done a ton of side by side comparisons, but it does seem to offer a more accurate soundstage. About the same size.

The only music that bothers me is some really brightly (poorly) recorded Jpop. Sometimes this music sounds as if they just boosted the mids and treble when recording it.

I was expecting to plug my Grado into my Headroom Micro Amp + HRT Music Streamer II and have the sound signature all screwy, but the sound signature thankfully does not seem to change much. I wish it was like this with my Q701 and all amps made it sound the same.

The 325i also has more bass, but it's not a big difference at all. I'd never upgrade the 225i to the 325is just for the 3% extra bass. I did feel the bass on the 225i was a bit lacking, but on the 325is it's a tiny bit better.

Comfort seems to be better. Probably just due to the headband, but who knows.

Here's the weird thing I can't figure out. I was expecting the mids to be much more forward. Even the graphs seems to show this. To me, the SR-325is mids actually seem LESS forward sounding. They're not as engaging as I remember the mids on the SR-225i being. I'll need to compare them more. Maybe it's a combination of the extra/bass/treble and the soundstage that gave me this impression.

This is like comparing the KRK KNS-6400 to the KRK-8400. Pretty annoying!

Right now there is definitely more treble, but it's not bad at all. I didn't need the extra treble at all really. Sound clarity seems about the same to my ears (so far).

For me just the bass + what seems like a better soundstage is worth the extra money. Don't know why or how the soundstage could be any different.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,399 of 66,258

Quote:
Give them some time to loosing up and the Bass will get better. More then 3% for sure. Do you have a tube amplifier to try them on? Both would take advantage of the warm frm tube.

This pair I bought used in the forums and I think it has many, many hours on it, but you never know. No tube amp yet, but my Micro Amp is a fairly warm amp I think. It LOVES my q701. It sounds pretty good though. I've listened to it for maybe 2-3 hours so far and none of music really is as engaging as it is on the SR-225i. This is just weird. Maybe I'm just tired or something.

Maybe I'll try them straight out of my Total Airhead or try different amps. Could be just due to preferences. I figured the mids on the SR-325is would be just as good and just as forward sounding.

One thing that's interesting is that it SEEMS to be easier to pick out all the bad tracks in my collection compared to the SR-225i. Just like with my old DT-880! Not very forgiving, which is a plus for me.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #1,400 of 66,258

Quote:
I
EDIT: Why does this 325is keep reminding me of the DT-880
confused_face_2.gif

I can see that, occasional sharper upper mids and lower treble region.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,401 of 66,258

Quote:

Well, this is so weird and makes no sense. I swapped a Monoprice  USB cable with a Belken cable and then my Belden 1192A interconnect I made last night with a Monoprice one (that's much thicker). The mids are actually more normal sounding right now.

I don't know what that Belden 1192A did to my mids. On a Shure SRH-940 it makes them too forward, but with the SR-325i it makes them sound distant. What the heck?! I can almost never hear a difference when swapping interconnect cables. I guess if anything, the Belden 1192A does improve the soundstage of a headphone. You'd think my mind was playing tricks on me...

I know the USB cable won't make any difference and I won't go there
normal_smile%20.gif
I'm using a higher quality one just to be safe. Seems they're basically like HDMI cables and won't make much difference.

EDIT: Maybe my interconnect cable was not good. I did use garbage Radio Shack RCA plugs after all. For only $3.99 for 6 of them, they're not even worth that.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #1,402 of 66,258

Quote:

I've never heard the 325 so I dont really know what sort of tweaks Grado has made to the driver to alter the sound. When I separated the  225 cups and the 225 driver housing to liberate the 225 drivers for their new wood housing and cups, I discovered that the plastic chamber of the driver housing was different than the one on the SR60, it had that ring added to it..

That plastic ring is the same on the 325. So essentially, it's possible that the sonic differences are due to the density differences between the plastic cup and the aluminum cup. I dont know though. I had an MS2i for a while that sounded awesome. Much different than my 225. Smoother mids and more laid back than the 225, I would think those differences were driver tweaks by Grado to differentiate the Allessandro product. I think alot of what your buying with the 325 and the MS2 is aesthetics. I've heard the RS1 and MS Pro were similar, but I've only heard the MS Pro when I ABX'ed it with my HF2's and woodied 225's.

I put some thoughts in this thread, Woodied Grado Review and Impressions thread. There are supposed to be some perceptions of Rhydons Magnum drivers in wood cups being added to the thread soon too hopefully.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #1,403 of 66,258
Guess I need to go back and edit my stupid posts. Sound of the SR-325is mostly the same, but the mids are now much fuller sounding and not so distant. Even the bass seems to have improved. I think my only guess is that the cable I made was bad or had some issues. Switching back and forth now it's fairly easy to tell the SR-325is is more clear and has more forward mids. Even some of my harsh tracks are quite listenable, which is a plus.

So glad I've now fixed the problem. Never had something like this happen before. BTW those Monoprice interconnects aren't too bad
normal_smile%20.gif

90% of the time I can't tell the difference between any of them as long as their the same gauge of wire.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,404 of 66,258
Everything on the 325is is perfect now. I'm not sure how you can have good bass, forward mids and lots of treble. It seems like you can't have everything, so I guess you need to sacrifice the sub-bass a bit. This is OK with me. The 325is definitely does have more than just a 3% upgrade in bass over the 225i. The mids are really forward now and quite engaging. I listened to the 325is straight out of a very good CD player last night for a few hours without any complaints. I did find about one track the 325is totally destroys, but the track has some really harsh and ear piercing vocals thats bad on any bright headphone. These really do sound the best with my amp/DAC, but they're quite good straight out of a portable CD player. Seems like the mids were much fuller sounding and they had a much better soundstage when connected to an amp/dac.

I kept looking forever for a headphone that could dethrone my DJ100 as a favorite portable headphone. These may one day do it. It seems like the mids I'm addicted to on my DJ100 are here on the SR-325is, but are even more clear and more forward. The SR-325is just doesn't have the bass of the DJ100, but that's hardly fair since it's open and the DJ100 is closed. The 325 definitely has much more treble. Soundstage is obviously better on the 325is also. It's hard to compare a $300 headphone to one that's $80 though. I was hoping the SRH-940 would top the DJ100 as a favorite, but I think the SR-325 could do it. I think I definitely prefer the 325is to the SRH-940. I don't find that they sound similar. Maybe in some areas. With my setup, the SRH-940 is actually kind of warm sounding?!

Has anyone found a dirt cheap portable amp that pairs well with the 325is that's small? I was thinking maybe of the E11 since it's a fairly warm sounding amp. I bet the E7 would be a poor match. Haven't tried my Total Airhead yet, but it's a bit bulky and I want something smaller. I don't even think the E5 would be a good match. I found that to boost the mids/treble of a headphone somewhat.

Anyone tried the PA2V2?

BTW it's funny how the old 325i (gold) drove my ears crazy, but these don't. This was back in 2004 or so. I think I must have been listening to them with some poorly record tracks that were just really harsh to begin with. The 325is definitely won't make them sound any easier on the ears. The only tracks that are a problem now are the garbage tracks. Very few of them. Some really old Jpop mostly. My 325i didn't get any burn-in back them and it was straight out of an Ipod 15g. Maybe that's why.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,405 of 66,258
its good to hear that you are starting to like the 325is. I have personally tried the Pa2v2 and its great with grados, the difference was huge when i paired it with my sr80 but never got a chance to try it my on sr325i. However if you really want to see what the sr325is can do, take a look at the Little Dot I+, its cheap about the price of 2 Pa2v2, and the sound will blow you away. But if you insist on portable amps, i guess you can try the pa2v2 and see what happens.

Quote:
Everything on the 325is is perfect now. I'm not sure how you can have good bass, forward mids and lots of treble. It seems like you can't have everything, so I guess you need to sacrifice the sub-bass a bit. This is OK with me. The 325is definitely does have more than just a 3% upgrade in bass over the 225i. The mids are really forward now and quite engaging. I listened to the 325is straight out of a very good CD player last night for a few hours without any complaints. I did find about one track the 325is totally destroys, but the track has some really harsh and ear piercing vocals thats bad on any bright headphone. These really do sound the best with my amp/DAC, but they're quite good straight out of a portable CD player. Seems like the mids were much fuller sounding and they had a much better soundstage when connected to an amp/dac.

I kept looking forever for a headphone that could dethrone my DJ100 as a favorite portable headphone. These may one day do it. It seems like the mids I'm addicted to on my DJ100 are here on the SR-325is, but are even more clear and more forward. The SR-325is just doesn't have the bass of the DJ100, but that's hardly fair since it's open and the DJ100 is closed. The 325 definitely has much more treble. Soundstage is obviously better on the 325is also. It's hard to compare a $300 headphone to one that's $80 though. I was hoping the SRH-940 would top the DJ100 as a favorite, but I think the SR-325 could do it. I think I definitely prefer the 325is to the SRH-940. I don't find that they sound similar. Maybe in some areas. With my setup, the SRH-940 is actually kind of warm sounding?!

Has anyone found a dirt cheap portable amp that pairs well with the 325is that's small? I was thinking maybe of the E11 since it's a fairly warm sounding amp. I bet the E7 would be a poor match. Haven't tried my Total Airhead yet, but it's a bit bulky and I want something smaller. I don't even think the E5 would be a good match. I found that to boost the mids/treble of a headphone somewhat.

Anyone tried the PA2V2?

BTW it's funny how the old 325i (gold) drove my ears crazy, but these don't. This was back in 2004 or so. I think I must have been listening to them with some poorly record tracks that were just really harsh to begin with. The 325is definitely won't make them sound any easier on the ears. The only tracks that are a problem now are the garbage tracks. Very few of them. Some really old Jpop mostly. My 325i didn't get any burn-in back them and it was straight out of an Ipod 15g. Maybe that's why.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,406 of 66,258

Quote:
its good to hear that you are starting to like the 325is. I have personally tried the Pa2v2 and its great with grados, the difference was huge when i paired it with my sr80 but never got a chance to try it my on sr325i. However if you really want to see what the sr325is can do, take a look at the Little Dot I+, its cheap about the price of 2 Pa2v2, and the sound will blow you away. But if you insist on portable amps, i guess you can try the pa2v2 and see what happens.

Yeah I'd just like to have another good portable amp  to use them around the house. I have a few other amps, but just looking for a good match for the Grados. I have a desktop amp I'm using with the 325is that makes them sound amazing, but I'd really love to try a tube amp with the 325is sometime. I never realized the LD I+ was so cheap! The Micro Amp I have seems to be a nice match for any headphone that's very bright and treble happy. I've read the PA2V2 is kind of bassy, so maybe it's a good match for the 325is.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #1,407 of 66,258
yeah, first thing I've noticed with the pa2v2 was bass and body to the sound. It was quite pleasing and natural too. For that price, no complaints at all. Battery life was just superb too.

Quote:

Yeah I'd just like to have another good portable amp  to use them around the house. I have a few other amps, but just looking for a good match for the Grados. I have a desktop amp I'm using with the 325is that makes them sound amazing, but I'd really love to try a tube amp with the 325is sometime. I never realized the LD I+ was so cheap! The Micro Amp I have seems to be a nice match for any headphone that's very bright and treble happy. I've read the PA2V2 is kind of bassy, so maybe it's a good match for the 325is.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #1,408 of 66,258
The PA2v2 does wonders for the grados. Really adds a lot to the overall sounds, specifically the bass reception. It's a pleasure working with Gary too, the man who owns and operates the company. Certainly a worthy investment. Have had mine for nearly a year now and am getting the LD1+ within a week. Now I just need to order some L-cushion pads, unless anyone here has a pair they wouldn't mind parting with. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #1,410 of 66,258

Quote:

Anyone tried the PA2V2?

You're going to loathe this tdockweiler but for all of my limited portable amp experience - one stands at the top for me and Grado.

Furutech ADL Cruise ~ not cheap, but it does not dilute the clarity one iota, dynamically crisp and tight.

I can offer up some feedback today with the SR80i and E11 as I'll be encountering one today and I can quickly give you an impression
between the E11 and ADL Cruise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back