Grado Fan Club!
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #65,341 of 65,622
Giving the GH2s come love today.. ahhh... :) :)

1000007982.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #65,345 of 65,622
Today my new-to-me RS-1 “button” arrived. First impressions are very promising. By the end of the week I should get GH2 and WH1, as well. I think it might be time to seek some therapy… 😵‍💫 This thread does that to people… 😉
... er, the therapy for a desire to keep buying Grados is to keep listening with those Grados ... doctor sez ... 👨‍⚕️🤪

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #65,346 of 65,622
Today my new-to-me RS-1 “button” arrived. First impressions are very promising. By the end of the week I should get GH2 and WH1, as well. I think it might be time to seek some therapy… 😵‍💫 This thread does that to people… 😉
Therapy is available but just as often it turns into a talking head that just says “Try just one” and stays close by to make sure no one is needing any additional.therapy. Seems to be a thriving concern.
They looks nice! Im thinking about getting the GH2's aswell. :)
They are to my eye the one of the best looking Grados.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #65,347 of 65,622
You have not really experienced top-tier Grado until you have heard HP1/2 and PS1.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #65,350 of 65,622
Some spare pads came out of the box today.
They are going to deep storage or should I just compare brand new vs used with the RS2X?

Well I will just say BN L_pads sound different (not for the better) lees bass depth definitely.
Midbass is affected too everything sounds like if it is being reflected from the new pads material/lack of airflow inside new foams plus that crust top layer maybe washing new pads before use is the right thing to do. Too busy to test this today so this will stop here sry...

After swapping back to used pads difference is immediately noticed more bass everything sounds fantastic/flawless again !

Anyway think I am set for spare pads (for now):
L_padsx4.JPG

L_padsx4_2.JPG

L_padsx4_ts.JPG

And now they are going to deep storage.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #65,351 of 65,622
I might not have a chance, given how many were made and how much do they cost on the used market.

What do you guys think about F-pads on RS-1 buttons?
Trying them out doesn’t cost much, though in most cases I like the default pads best. Nevertheless I currently have G pads on my RS-1…

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #65,352 of 65,622
GS1000 vs GS1000i vs GS1000e

I just received a pair of GS1000 headphones, augmenting my GS1000 collection to include all but the new GS1000x.

The picture shows, from left to right, GS1000 (square rods, thin cable, dark wood, black headband), GS1000i (round rods, thick cable, dark wood, black headband), and GS1000e (round rods, thick cable, medium wood, tan headband).

Each of these sounds truly great across lots of types of music, and can both engage and excite you as you listen.

If I compare them side by side on a particular test song passage that I use a lot (first two verses of ˆYou’re Gonna Miss Me When I’m Gone” by The Band Of Heathens), I observe:

GS1000: Very thuddy bass drum with no high harmonics, as if drum filled with blanket. Huge sound stage, moderate highs

GS1000i: More treble sounding, with higher harmonics in the bass drum, big sound stage, bright tizzy cymbals

GS1000e: Bass drum has a strong resonant frequency, as if being played into an oil drum that emphasizes one particular low pitch; sound stage similar to GS1000i, bright but not tizzy cymbals.

As I said, each is absolutely marvelous and mesmerizing to listen to. Only in side-by-side comparisons do the above observations occur. I once made the mistake of selling my GS1000e’s because of that one-pitch “tubbyness” aspect of its bass, but I missed them so much I rebought them and use them as my main headphones in my bedroom. The other two Grados are even better!

In short, I prefer: GS1000i > GS1000 > GS1000e (that is, GS1000i is most preferred).

IMG_0452.jpeg

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #65,354 of 65,622
Reacquired SR80 after getting them as my first pair of audiophile cans a quarter of a century ago. Still sound great. Sure they are a bit rough around the extremes, the bass doesn't go very far past 60hz, lacks definition, somewhat smeared, resolution is not that high, there is a hump near 100hzish, a small bump near 3khz and kind of grainy at the top end. The mid however still shines and 90% of the musical performance are well translated and is ever so slightly euphoric sounding. The cans is also very open sounding and very dynamic. Don't hear much harshness or sharpness - TTVJ deluxe pads.

Honestly, this thing costed me less than a XLR dongle and it's bringing a smile to my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back