Grado Fan Club!
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #65,356 of 65,761
Share a story of mine regarding my grado HP experience.
About19yrs ago I bought my 1st grado the sr225 at a local retail store. The salesman was quite convincing in his promotion of this brand and he used the sr60 himself .

Many years later, just about a month back I met the same salesman at another audio retail shop.For some reason we managed to recognise each other. I asked him what headphone he was using , he replied sr60 , the same headphone 19 yrs ago. I was astonished and asked him why not upgrade to higher models or try out different brands. The salesman said sr60 was all he needed , he'd rather spend the money on vinyl , cds more music in general. Wow

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #65,357 of 65,761
So a few months ago I was debating headphones and talked here about either the SR325x or the RS2x. I was buying for multi-use, recording my guitar through a Fractal amp modeller, and for listening to music. I enjoyed the RS2x for my rock collection (as I had with my RS1i a decade ago) but it didn't sound right as a studio monitor so I ended up returning it in favour of a DT880 Edition 250. The 880 is great for recording guitar, but I don't enjoy it for music, and I can't use it with my Quest 3 VR as the pads are too big and don't seal over the VR strap. I am keeping the 880 for studio use.

So I am still looking for a headset for music and VR and I guess gaming in general. Mostly music. I was all set to just re-order the RS2x when I spotted a refurbished RS1x for less than the RS2x. I sat for a day waiting for eBay vouchers to clear (avios to nectar to ebay takes 10 days, maybe 12) and crap, the RS1x sold - I should have snapped that up. But now I want an RS1x.

Looking at the measurements, the RS1x has a little less bass below 100hz, but a little more above, and it seems to be flatter than the RS2x all the way up to 2k, has a little more energy between 2 and 4k, much less spike at 5k, and less again at 9k to 12k. I'm not a measurements guy, so I don't really know what that means when enjoying music, but it seems like the RS1x would have a smoother, less harsh top end, less spikey, a fuller midrange, and only really miss out on the very low end that I'm assuming isn't that important for a Van Halen / GnR fan?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #65,358 of 65,761
So a few months ago I was debating headphones and talked here about either the SR325x or the RS2x. I was buying for multi-use, recording my guitar through a Fractal amp modeller, and for listening to music. I enjoyed the RS2x for my rock collection (as I had with my RS1i a decade ago) but it didn't sound right as a studio monitor so I ended up returning it in favour of a DT880 Edition 250. The 880 is great for recording guitar, but I don't enjoy it for music, and I can't use it with my Quest 3 VR as the pads are too big and don't seal over the VR strap. I am keeping the 880 for studio use.

So I am still looking for a headset for music and VR and I guess gaming in general. Mostly music. I was all set to just re-order the RS2x when I spotted a refurbished RS1x for less than the RS2x. I sat for a day waiting for eBay vouchers to clear (avios to nectar to ebay takes 10 days, maybe 12) and crap, the RS1x sold - I should have snapped that up. But now I want an RS1x.

Looking at the measurements, the RS1x has a little less bass below 100hz, but a little more above, and it seems to be flatter than the RS2x all the way up to 2k, has a little more energy between 2 and 4k, much less spike at 5k, and less again at 9k to 12k. I'm not a measurements guy, so I don't really know what that means when enjoying music, but it seems like the RS1x would have a smoother, less harsh top end, less spikey, a fuller midrange, and only really miss out on the very low end that I'm assuming isn't that important for a Van Halen / GnR fan?
In general it’s rather hard to derive tonal performance from a frequency response graph, it gives some broad hints at best. So in the end trying them out is the only reliable way to determine wether they work for you — or not.

My memory from trying out RS-1x and RS-2x is that the former sounds leaner and a bit dull — which might be in line with your assessment. I listen to electronic music though, so my preferences may well differ from yours.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #65,359 of 65,761
Yesterday I seized the opportunity to test some Grado models with different pads. With both my GH2 and my small pad collection I went to try out what I forgot to do last time. Nice to have a local shop where I can play around…
I had the RS1x, the RS2x, the SR225x as well as a short listen with the GS1000x. Source was once again my iPod Classic with my usual music, I.e. electronic.
What did you think of the RS2x vs RS1x vs GH2. I'm torn between these three.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #65,360 of 65,761
Gh2 is kinda the holy grail based on what I read but never listened to it before.

As for rs1x vs rs2x ,

Rs1x : warmer , more forward
Rs2x : relatively leaner but less forward , punchier bass

Rs1x has a more colourful sound but the forwardness may cause fatigue in some tracks ,above certain volume while rs2x you can listen whole day .

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #65,361 of 65,761
Gh2 is kinda the holy grail based on what I read but never listened to it before.

As for rs1x vs rs2x ,

Rs1x : warmer , more forward
Rs2x : relatively leaner but less forward , punchier bass

Rs1x has a more colourful sound but the forwardness may cause fatigue in some tracks ,above certain volume while rs2x you can listen whole day .
Thanks.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #65,362 of 65,761
GH2 for me any day. Much more balanced, nicer bass, nicer wood…

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #65,363 of 65,761
IMG_1500.jpeg

A family photo with the newest member, the RS-1. I must say, I’m more and more impressed with it. In someways it is spectacular! Great detail and separation and it has some sort of delicacy and refinement to the sound. Nothing sounds harsh, unless it’s supposed to or a recording is bad. Yes, the RS-1 will tell the truth. Coming from a GH4 and a PS500e I wish it had more bottom end. It would be a complete headphone for me. Anyway, the RS-1 is fantastic!

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #65,364 of 65,761
To Gradostax:

I don’t know if you found this the case but the RS1x was similar to my PS2000e in that they took quite a bit of playtime (burn in) to reach their full potential. Up until then I was not thrilled with its balance. I’m talking over 200 hours, close to 300. Other Head Fi Buddies have experienced the same results. Just play and enjoy (NO TEST TONES PLEASE).

All part of the FUN.

Attachments

• IMG_1977.jpeg
    IMG_1977.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #65,365 of 65,761
IMG_1500.jpeg

A family photo with the newest member, the RS-1. I must say, I’m more and more impressed with it. In someways it is spectacular! Great detail and separation and it has some sort of delicacy and refinement to the sound. Nothing sounds harsh, unless it’s supposed to or a recording is bad. Yes, the RS-1 will tell the truth. Coming from a GH4 and a PS500e I wish it had more bottom end. It would be a complete headphone for me. Anyway, the RS-1 is fantastic!

Add some EQ or use a bassy amp and it will give you bliss!

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #65,366 of 65,761
Here is a nice measurement of the GS3000x
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-measurements-dont-you-forget-about-me.14211/

Now, enter the GS3000X. This headphone embodies everything I loved about the original GS1000: a focused mid-bass boost, precise mids, and outstanding clarity, particularly in the lower frequencies—arguably surpassing even the RS series. Its articulation rivals that of the esteemed Final Pro D8000, delivering a crispness and tightness in transient response that is immensely satisfying. A significant factor contributing to this performance is the hybrid cup design of the GS3000X. Unlike the limited edition HF-2, which featured metal exteriors and wooden interiors, this innovative design blends materials to achieve a tight transient response while adding a subtle woody resonance decay

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #65,367 of 65,761
GS1000 vs GS1000i vs GS1000e

I just received a pair of GS1000 headphones, augmenting my GS1000 collection to include all but the new GS1000x.

The picture shows, from left to right, GS1000 (square rods, thin cable, dark wood, black headband), GS1000i (round rods, thick cable, dark wood, black headband), and GS1000e (round rods, thick cable, medium wood, tan headband).

Each of these sounds truly great across lots of types of music, and can both engage and excite you as you listen.

If I compare them side by side on a particular test song passage that I use a lot (first two verses of ˆYou’re Gonna Miss Me When I’m Gone” by The Band Of Heathens), I observe:

GS1000: Very thuddy bass drum with no high harmonics, as if drum filled with blanket. Huge sound stage, moderate highs

GS1000i: More treble sounding, with higher harmonics in the bass drum, big sound stage, bright tizzy cymbals

GS1000e: Bass drum has a strong resonant frequency, as if being played into an oil drum that emphasizes one particular low pitch; sound stage similar to GS1000i, bright but not tizzy cymbals.

As I said, each is absolutely marvelous and mesmerizing to listen to. Only in side-by-side comparisons do the above observations occur. I once made the mistake of selling my GS1000e’s because of that one-pitch “tubbyness” aspect of its bass, but I missed them so much I rebought them and use them as my main headphones in my bedroom. The other two Grados are even better!

In short, I prefer: GS1000i > GS1000 > GS1000e (that is, GS1000i is most preferred).

IMG_0452.jpeg
I just bought the GS1000x and am a little curious why it isn't mentioned much if at all. I don't know if it's a value proposition, tuning, comfort, size, etc...

I personally find it to have a wide and somewhat deep soundstage. With the Woo WA8 and Naim Uniti HE, the bass is tight and present but not ample. Treble is crisp but not bright. It shines on classical, jazz and acoustic. EDM not so much. It's very comfortable and light which is why I bought it. I don't find my ears getting hot with longer listening sessions. In short, for the majority of music I listen to they are quite nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back