Grado Fan Club!
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #63,691 of 65,583
It doesn't sound broken and there's definitely potential with the sound over some time of use. Regardless, this kind of issue (or non-issue) should be raised because we expect good quality products from our hard-earned purchases and it's always good to test the manufacturers response to these situations.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #63,693 of 65,583
I just forwarded your question to Grado support, hopefully they will chime in.

My RS2x and a friend’s RS2x both have gaps between driver and cups and we assumed it was normal. When inspecting closer under flashlight I could see that the gap was air tight due to the wood glue in between, but still disappointing levels of craftmanship. Id guess the extra clearance is simply as insurance in case they shrink too much and prevent driver install, or maybe the hemp wood is too prone to cracking so its built with looser tolerances…. ??
By your similar situation this seems to be consistent and so would appear to be deliberate. This makes your explanation very likely possible. Still, hearing it from Grado themselves would be very welcome.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #63,694 of 65,583
I suspect wood constructs would to shrink over time as the wood dries out. It could be months or years, but they do shrink a couple millimeters and will crack if they aren’t allow to shrink naturally. At the same time, the grado headphones will have a different tone because the wood dampening will change with its density being higher. You could say it’s like aged wine. If you are unlucky it gets sour or in my case it became even more fragrant.

I just got a new Grado Hemp and the sounds are great and bright. My RS2e was like that when I got it 4 years ago albeit milder bass. But after 4 years the bass on my RS2e became more pronounced and the mid sound much smoother. I can literally sleep while listening to it, which I can’t do with any of the other headphones.
With the 'wooden' or 'hemp' Grados, don't forget periodic conditioning with a product such as Howard's Feed N Wax. This is important during the months when the home heating is on.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #63,695 of 65,583
I just forwarded your question to Grado support, hopefully they will chime in.
Rich-effin-Grado responded:

The gap issue on the RS2x that someone purchased new in Canada is no poor quality or a defect. There can be a slight gap visible as the wood of the housing might expand and contract, each headphone can be slightly different and this has no effect on the sound quality of build stability of the headphone.

As for your problem with the damping material. It’s the New Year and I’m still in a good mood, if you send your headphones directly to me I will have them service the headphones for you. As the service team has said it does not affect the sound but I understand you are concerned and I want the back and forth to end. Please pack them up and include a note mentioning what the problem is and include a print of this email as a reminder.

Yes, very generous of Grado to fix because I am a second hand owner. I will be sending RS2x to Grado, will update.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #63,697 of 65,583
Rich-effin-Grado responded:

The gap issue on the RS2x that someone purchased new in Canada is no poor quality or a defect. There can be a slight gap visible as the wood of the housing might expand and contract, each headphone can be slightly different and this has no effect on the sound quality of build stability of the headphone.

As for your problem with the damping material. It’s the New Year and I’m still in a good mood, if you send your headphones directly to me I will have them service the headphones for you. As the service team has said it does not affect the sound but I understand you are concerned and I want the back and forth to end. Please pack them up and include a note mentioning what the problem is and include a print of this email as a reminder.

Yes, very generous of Grado to fix because I am a second hand owner. I will be sending RS2x to Grado, will update.
You were right! Thanks and kudos to Grado. I'll be directing future inquiries/concerns to them as Grado Canada is not as responsive unfortunately.

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #63,698 of 65,583
Ok I just got a reply from Grado Canada and it is just fair that I acknowledge their support. This makes me a very happy customer. All good now.

Screenshot_20240104_193848_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #63,699 of 65,583
Oh the CLARITY, transparency, and crisp edginess in this set is simply astonishing:

MacBook streaming from Apple Music 24bit/96KHz ALAC --> EarMen Angel DAC (Battery driven) --> Grado RA-1 (Battery driven) --> Grado SR325 (first edition)

I just had to share a moment of Grado-happiness. Have a nice day.

53443992485_2cafdaf8f2_k.jpg

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #63,700 of 65,583
I had lost my musical mojo. Listening session were few and far in between. I was in a rut. The RS2x's that Santa brought me changed that. I've put tunes on every day since I got them. I look forward to listening to them, thinking about what I'm going to put on today. A kind of warm butter in your ear's kind of moment. It was because of the passion that all of you have shown here for the Grado headphones that I bought my first pair (SR225x's) that led to the RS2x's. Now I understand that passion. Ok, I've had enough coffee. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #63,701 of 65,583
Started listening to the Grado sound through the SR125x. Boy was I blown away the second I got these, it felt like a concert at all times without paying the entry fee. Permanently sold on their business, sound profile, and simplicity. Currently exploring options either the PS500e, or some other reference series headphone.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #63,702 of 65,583
• Grado has always been responsive with me, too. I had to replace a gimbal screw for PS2000e (then discontinued), John Grado responded personally over the 'phone and sent me a set!
• Another time, I sent in Hemp for crack/split repair: again, the direct personal response and a new Hemp sent within 10 days. I still feel that this was an outstanding example of customer care - irrespective of size of business!
Same here. The few times I have needed help, they always responded quickly and personally. Great Company and family!

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #63,703 of 65,583
Started listening to the Grado sound through the SR125x. Boy was I blown away the second I got these, it felt like a concert at all times without paying the entry fee. Permanently sold on their business, sound profile, and simplicity. Currently exploring options either the PS500e, or some other reference series headphone.
You caught the Grado bug. You may need annual booster vaccinations with Grado products…

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #63,704 of 65,583
RE: @Resolve vs media bias vs ZMF
I just asked Resolve on the livestream and he provided some clarity on their review process but ZMF and Headphones dot com have a tumultuous relationship going back a few years so I'm not surprised both parties don't see eye to eye. I know Zach doesn't want Resolve, DMS and Golden to mention ZMF in their videos as both parties have opposing points of view.

Unfortunately in the case of the Atrium Closed all three reviewers weren't provided a review unit and only spent a few mins with it at CanJam so the mention of the AC vs E3 and the AC's subsequent ranking was made with little to no time with the product. For this reason alone I agree with Zach that it probably shouldn't have been mentioned in a head to head comparison but it is what it is.

The ZMF heated debate goes back a couple years now and there have been multiple threads on various sites but the most recent one was between Zach and the Headphones dot com crew on the comment board in their latest video here:

If you scroll down to the comment section you'll see their latest exchange. Just look for the ZMFHeadphones logo and you'll find the debate.

source

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #63,705 of 65,583
Rainy day here on the Florida Gulf coast. Decided a perfect day for waxing!
IMG_0250.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back