Grado Fan Club!
Jan 2, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #63,661 of 65,698
Grado customer service update regarding goop, their words:

- “not a critical consideration”
- “controls resonances”
that “are not audible”

So the goop appears to be merely an aesthetic concern. I will forego repairs.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #63,662 of 65,698
Grado customer service update regarding goop, their words:

- “not a critical consideration”
- “controls resonances”
that “are not audible”

So the goop appears to be merely an aesthetic concern. I will forego repairs.
Interesting response... esp. the second part begs the question, why they even do it...

Only make sure that this is not floating around in the cups, slowly decomposing into tiny fragments that migrate onto the membrane.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #63,663 of 65,698
From my email history with both Grado USA and Grado Canada it seems the USA side is blunt and succinct. The Canada side, because it's just one person doing the repairs, seems to be more professional with the correspondence. Maybe the USA side just gets too many emails per day. :slight_smile:

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #63,664 of 65,698

^ pics provides by buyer

I hadnt inspected the drivers that closely directly prior to creating classified + packaging for shipping. I looked at them at the beginning of my brief ownership (including under flash light) but they were fine. I may very well have dislodged the goop at some point from cable movement inside the cup when using the headphone. The headphone should be designed so as not be able to break itself during normal use, very disappointing. I will accept that the goop came undone during my possession but will blame Grado for it happening at all.
I just checked my RS-1x. No goop at all on the back of the driver. I wonder if the goop is there to help stabilize the cable? Odd that mine is clean, no goop.

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #63,665 of 65,698
From my email history with both Grado USA and Grado Canada it seems the USA side is blunt and succinct. The Canada side, because it's just one person doing the repairs, seems to be more professional with the correspondence. Maybe the USA side just gets too many emails per day. :slight_smile:
Still, they could be a bit more diplomatic/ professionally forthcoming in their response. After all, their livelihood depends on clientele, which you are. Just my two cents.

Jan 2, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #63,666 of 65,698
Absolutely. Sending items back should be a given. Yet unfortunately it’s almost always the other way round, and „we got this item in exchange for our opinion“ is exactly that: paying for an opinion. There won’t be a next „opportunity“ if that opinion doesn’t fit with the expectations of the one paying.

That's actually incorrect, I have been doing this for a very ling time already and had only one company refusing to work with me in the future because the review wasn't good enough for them. Anyway, I won't get further into the discussion on samples vs payment. I'll just say that we're always clear about how we got the sample (unlike other sites), no received samples are ever sold, and units in storage don't pay for bills (so imo they're not payments). Anyway, thanks for checking HFN, even if you don't always agree, which is normal :)

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #63,667 of 65,698
That's actually incorrect, I have been doing this for a very ling time already and had only one company refusing to work with me in the future because the review wasn't good enough for them. Anyway, I won't get further into the discussion on samples vs payment. I'll just say that we're always clear about how we got the sample (unlike other sites), no received samples are ever sold, and units in storage don't pay for bills (so imo they're not payments). Anyway, thanks for checking HFN, even if you don't always agree, which is normal :)
If those units only go into storage... why not simply return them, save the space and have an even simpler stance on that issue?
I still consider Tyll the gold standard in that regard: return everything, borrow reference items for the time they occupy that slot. Return them as well after loosing the top spot.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #63,668 of 65,698
If those units only go into storage... why not simply return them, save the space and have an even simpler stance on that issue?
I still consider Tyll the gold standard in that regard: return everything, borrow reference items for the time they occupy that slot. Return them as well after loosing the top spot.
IMG_4562.jpeg

Come back Tyll. ☹️

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #63,669 of 65,698
Yeah man. All amps sound the same. Reddit said so.

I think Grado owners more than anyone know this is not true as Grados can sound like absolute ass, harsh & sibilant on some amps and wonderfully exquisite & silky smooth on others. It’s sound probably changes more than any other brand I’ve heard (Which is why I like them so much it’s fun to experiment). I also think this is why they get a negative opinion of a lot of reviewers because they may only hear them on some cold, sterile SS amp and get a wrong impression of their capabilities.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #63,670 of 65,698
Well said

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #63,671 of 65,698
And that justified all the critical reviews , a company making headphones so varied on different amps as to make them sound awful for many listeners. I think it's odd tbf, and I love Grado, have 2 pairs and have spent a lot modifying RX2s so not a hater.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #63,672 of 65,698
I think Grado owners more than anyone know this is not true as Grados can sound like absolute ass, harsh & sibilant on some amps and wonderfully exquisite & silky smooth on others. It’s sound probably changes more than any other brand I’ve heard (Which is why I like them so much it’s fun to experiment). I also think this is why they get a negative opinion of a lot of reviewers because they may only hear them on some cold, sterile SS amp and get a wrong impression of their capabilities.
And more power and expensive the amp is , doesn't mean the better for Grado.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #63,673 of 65,698
True and most of the time these cold and sterile amps are the ones that are built to measure good, so naturally that's what the ASR people flock to. It's really no wonder that they hate it. My grados do not sound good on my atom stack at all. But they sound great with my magni+ and my ibasso p5 falcon.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #63,674 of 65,698
@Resolve I've always had a lot of respect for you specifically (I've been a subscriber since before you had any affiliation with Headphones.com), and still LOVE the Headphones.com content as whole because it is informative, fun, and I have never felt you were "shills" for or against any headphones, and certainly, never, ever felt that any views expressed on the channel were in the least compromised by what was sold or not sold on Headphones.com.

In fact, I bought my Heddphone, Focal Clear and Radiance headphones all on Headphones.com and think Headphones.com is one of the best vendors whom I highly recommend.

That being said, the Headphones.com reviewer record on Grado headphones has always struck me as predicable and indicative of representing only one slice of the community.

That does not mean that if you love Grados, your taste or preference is somehow inferior.
That is clearly implied and even sometimes almost overtly expressed in multiple videos I've watched from Headphones.com channel on YouTube, though, when it comes to opinions about Grado's. The tone is even condescending at times, and it's across multiple reviewers, not just one. DMS may be the only one that I can recall ever having enough positive to say about any Grado to recommend one, among your group, in fact, and that's been mostly since the Hemp and the X-series.

It can be difficult to imagine the thing you love is so objectionable to someone else
Not difficult to imagine, or even necessary to imagine at all, since it's rather explicitly and regularly stated as such rather consistently. :sweat_smile: Honestly, it feels almost quite the opposite, that none of you can imagine that the thing that is so objectionable to you collectively can be loved by many others, and again, it's usually implied strongly that something is wrong with our ears. :sweat_smile:

I think the truth is that some of us just have a wider range of listening preferences. That I like my Grado SR-325i 50th anniversary edition which has an absurd bass rolloff and a very unique voicing doesn't mean that I don't appreciate for very very different reasons the more Harmanesque tuning of my Drop Aeon Closed X.

We regularly disagree with one another!
Honestly, not a lot, though, and almost not at all on Grado's -- you are all part of the roughly the same slice of headphone audiophilia which coalesces around basically the same set of headphones, and there's not a lot of real diversity, frankly, in your group. Steve Guttenberg, the "Audiophiliac", for example, loves Grado's, and is well respected at least by some in the community, but there aren't any types like him in your clan.

Again, though, I'm not questioning the integrity of any of you, quite to the contrary, I positively affirm it, as though I disagree with the general "groupthink" on Grado's among your reviewers, I am 100% convinced those are your genuine opinions, and they are pretty consistent, too. :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #63,675 of 65,698
I agree - I don’t have a positive experience communicating with Grado USA. My first correspondence with them was very early in my headphone journey in 2015 or so and I remember being shocked at the lack of professionalism in their emails. 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back