Grado Fan Club!
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #63,496 of 65,787
I want to clarify a few things here since some folks seem to upset at the various criticism I've levelled at Grado headphones in various videos, and I want to provide a bit of context so there's no confusion as to where I'm coming from. And I don't expect this to be accepted by everyone, given this is a thread comprised of those who enjoy them and likely won't share my opinion on them, which is fine.

For headphone evaluations, when it comes to sound quality, we can say that at the very least there are three important variables that determine what 'good' is, and they are as follows:
  1. Individual anatomy (HRTF)
  2. How headphone behavior changes depending on the head that wears them (HpTF)
  3. Preference
I'm not saying these are the only factors, since there are certainly others such as harmonic distortion, acoustic Z, or even various design-related psychoacoustic effects. I'm saying at the very least we can comfortably point to these as being key factors when it comes to sound quality in headphones and what goes into whether or not people enjoy a given product.

So, along these dimensions, I've consistently found all Grados I've encountered to be uniquely horrible sounding to me. However, important to note is that if you change the individual or essentially the 'head' that's wearing them, all three of those factors are likely to change, to the point where I could in theory see how someone else might be able to enjoy them. I've said this in other places before, but we need to collectively stop treating headphones we experience as indications of 'the truth' about those products in all conditions, and instead recognize that this is just how they perform in the specific condition of the head that's wearing them. And, maybe this goes without saying, but our experiences are necessarily unique, largely based on these factors as well.

When doing an evaluation, it's important to consider not just how it sounds subjectively, but also how it's likely to be received by other people. There are countless examples of this consideration on our channel, where something might not be for me specifically but it still could get a recommendation. I feel reviewers have to balance this, since on the one hand we have to give a genuine subjective report of how something sounds (to a real human), but also recognize that we're not every human. We just have one perspective, with one set of ears with a specific preference. So we have to consider how it may perform for others.

Now, the reason why I can't in good conscience recommend them or endorse the purchase of them - without knowing the preferences of the individual - is because of how they perform objectively on industry standard equipment (and we use multiple rigs for precisely the above reasons), relative to what we know people prefer. Now, I'm not talking strictly about the Harman research here, but rather what's known to be preferred in speakers as well from multiple studies on this topic. And, based on the... literal decades of audio research, we can say that categorically, the Grado sound signature is likely to be more palatable for a particular niche than it is to be suitable for what most people like - at least for bass to treble delta. That does not mean that if you love Grados, your taste or preference is somehow inferior.

Of course I recognize that they have a cult following, here and in other places. But I think this is something you have to know is right for you - or at least have a general sense that this is the kind of sound signature you may be after.

To the other points about us being 'influencers' or dunking on stuff that isn't carried by Taron and the other folks who run the store, as he pointed out, we published content that was very critical of certain Grado headphones while they were still in stock. We've done this time and time again with products from other brands carried by the store as well, even going so far as to lose brands over our coverage of their products. We have the freedom to do critical or negative reviews on our platform, and in our view this is a better approach than operating within the traditional youtube economy. Our income is not tied to the sentiment in a review, freeing us from the incentive to gloss over the negatives or only do positive coverage. I've said this before but I feel youtube has become a gigantic hype machine given the monetization models built around affiliate links or paid-for reviews.

But, it's also understandable that we see this criticism from time to time from people who may not understand how we operate. People perhaps rightly look for incentives or reasons for our editorial judgments that might not align with what that person believes to be true.

And in that respect, I get it. It can be difficult to imagine the thing you love is so objectionable to someone else, and so I get the impulse to go looking for any possible nefarious explanation or motivation for why they may have said that. But I have to once again point out the three factors above, and this goes for all cases where people have differing opinions about products. In my view, those three variables are responsible for many disagreements about headphones, and when you fully understand those variables, the disagreement is also understood.

Beyond that, the only mandate we have for our channel is to say it like it is - how we genuinely feel about these products. You may disagree with our takes, and that's fine. We regularly disagree with one another! But I suggest that before jumping to various conclusions around incentives or motivations, consider that based on how these headphones measure on standard equipment, it should come as no surprise that they won't be for everyone. And... I feel it's worth voicing this even if it means raising the ire of those who love the product, and I'll be far more willing to take those knocks in the Grado community than compromise on my editorial integrity.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #63,497 of 65,787
... Beyond that, the only mandate we have for our channel is to say it like it is - how we genuinely feel about these products. You may disagree with our takes, and that's fine. We regularly disagree with one another! But I suggest that before jumping to various conclusions around incentives or motivations, consider that based on how these headphones measure on standard equipment, it should come as no surprise that they won't be for everyone. And... I feel it's worth voicing this even if it means raising the ire of those who love the product, and I'll be far more willing to take those knocks in the Grado community than compromise on my editorial integrity.
Appreciate the candor, @Resolve. I hope you truly do have the autonomy to tell it like you hear it, even with your store's bread-and-butter brands. I personally have no issue with you not liking Grados. When someone posted the negative reviews and I jumped over to the shop and found no Grados, I was hasty in my judgement and took it somewhat as "slamming the competition." Seems I was wrong about that since you did sell Grados at the time of some of the reviews.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #63,498 of 65,787
My opinion of them has little to do with their subjective view of grados tbh. I just kinda overreacted and geeked at that. That is all. I think it's common sense more people will chase after hifiman/sennheiser products because they inherently have more mass appeal. Tho I would also argue that lack of mass appeal doesn't make a headphone bad. I really disagree with the ranking, but I don't care that much. I mostly just find their reviews to be overly focused on what sounds transparent or clean, especially with amps. But at this point, I'd chalk it up to who cares. There's no fight to be had here and there are no pitch forks.

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #63,499 of 65,787
I want to clarify a few things here since some folks seem to upset at the various criticism I've levelled at Grado headphones in various videos, and I want to provide a bit of context so there's no confusion as to where I'm coming from. And I don't expect this to be accepted by everyone, given this is a thread comprised of those who enjoy them and likely won't share my opinion on them, which is fine.

For headphone evaluations, when it comes to sound quality, we can say that at the very least there are three important variables that determine what 'good' is, and they are as follows:
  1. Individual anatomy (HRTF)
  2. How headphone behavior changes depending on the head that wears them (HpTF)
  3. Preference
I'm not saying these are the only factors, since there are certainly others such as harmonic distortion, acoustic Z, or even various design-related psychoacoustic effects. I'm saying at the very least we can comfortably point to these as being key factors when it comes to sound quality in headphones and what goes into whether or not people enjoy a given product.

So, along these dimensions, I've consistently found all Grados I've encountered to be uniquely horrible sounding to me. However, important to note is that if you change the individual or essentially the 'head' that's wearing them, all three of those factors are likely to change, to the point where I could in theory see how someone else might be able to enjoy them. I've said this in other places before, but we need to collectively stop treating headphones we experience as indications of 'the truth' about those products in all conditions, and instead recognize that this is just how they perform in the specific condition of the head that's wearing them. And, maybe this goes without saying, but our experiences are necessarily unique, largely based on these factors as well.

When doing an evaluation, it's important to consider not just how it sounds subjectively, but also how it's likely to be received by other people. There are countless examples of this consideration on our channel, where something might not be for me specifically but it still could get a recommendation. I feel reviewers have to balance this, since on the one hand we have to give a genuine subjective report of how something sounds (to a real human), but also recognize that we're not every human. We just have one perspective, with one set of ears with a specific preference. So we have to consider how it may perform for others.

Now, the reason why I can't in good conscience recommend them or endorse the purchase of them - without knowing the preferences of the individual - is because of how they perform objectively on industry standard equipment (and we use multiple rigs for precisely the above reasons), relative to what we know people prefer. Now, I'm not talking strictly about the Harman research here, but rather what's known to be preferred in speakers as well from multiple studies on this topic. And, based on the... literal decades of audio research, we can say that categorically, the Grado sound signature is likely to be more palatable for a particular niche than it is to be suitable for what most people like - at least for bass to treble delta. That does not mean that if you love Grados, your taste or preference is somehow inferior.

Of course I recognize that they have a cult following, here and in other places. But I think this is something you have to know is right for you - or at least have a general sense that this is the kind of sound signature you may be after.

To the other points about us being 'influencers' or dunking on stuff that isn't carried by Taron and the other folks who run the store, as he pointed out, we published content that was very critical of certain Grado headphones while they were still in stock. We've done this time and time again with products from other brands carried by the store as well, even going so far as to lose brands over our coverage of their products. We have the freedom to do critical or negative reviews on our platform, and in our view this is a better approach than operating within the traditional youtube economy. Our income is not tied to the sentiment in a review, freeing us from the incentive to gloss over the negatives or only do positive coverage. I've said this before but I feel youtube has become a gigantic hype machine given the monetization models built around affiliate links or paid-for reviews.

But, it's also understandable that we see this criticism from time to time from people who may not understand how we operate. People perhaps rightly look for incentives or reasons for our editorial judgments that might not align with what that person believes to be true.

And in that respect, I get it. It can be difficult to imagine the thing you love is so objectionable to someone else, and so I get the impulse to go looking for any possible nefarious explanation or motivation for why they may have said that. But I have to once again point out the three factors above, and this goes for all cases where people have differing opinions about products. In my view, those three variables are responsible for many disagreements about headphones, and when you fully understand those variables, the disagreement is also understood.

Beyond that, the only mandate we have for our channel is to say it like it is - how we genuinely feel about these products. You may disagree with our takes, and that's fine. We regularly disagree with one another! But I suggest that before jumping to various conclusions around incentives or motivations, consider that based on how these headphones measure on standard equipment, it should come as no surprise that they won't be for everyone. And... I feel it's worth voicing this even if it means raising the ire of those who love the product, and I'll be far more willing to take those knocks in the Grado community than compromise on my editorial integrity.

Literally everyone i've showed my Grados to has loved the sound. Even my girl friend who is usually totally not into audiophilia.

That does of course not mean everyone in the world will love them but maybe your estimation of what the average listener likes is a little off because all the people i showed my Grados to are definitely no audiophiliacs and statistically speaking i shouldn't have such a high rate of positive reactions.

Just saying, no disrespect!

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #63,500 of 65,787
I just watched the video today and enjoyed it. It was great exposure to a lot of stuff I haven’t tried yet. Although I do not take any reviews very seriously, they do give me a jumping off point as a relative newcomer to the hobby. For example, because of the video, I think I’m going to try a Sundara. They all seemed to rate it favorably and for the price it seems like a good entry point into the Hifiman sound. I view my Grado as a compliment to my 6xx, and would hope the Sundara would do the same.

Either way, after years of being in bands that ranged from metal to ambient and lot of in between, I can say with full certainty that I do not have hi fidelity ears. Little things like that can make all the headphones sound different to me.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #63,502 of 65,787
I've owned almost every headphone praised at Headphones.com. Focal, Audeze, Hifiman, you name it. But here I am, back with the GH1. Maybe I'm not much of an audiophile, or perhaps I've reached a point where I just want to enjoy my music without worrying too much about the gear. Believe me, there's no way I'd swap out my GH1 for the Utopia, Susvara, or LCD-5. Absolutely not!

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #63,503 of 65,787
maybe your estimation of what the average listener likes is a little off because all the people i showed my Grados to are definitely no audiophiliacs and statistically speaking i shouldn't have such a high rate of positive reactions.

The thing is, this has nothing to do with my estimation, nor yours. As mentioned, we have decades of research in speakers and headphones to draw from to understand what people like for sound profiles, and the thing is - these studies corroborate one another.

1703025179470.png

Apologies for the small text in the legend, but you can see there are multiple studies pointing to people on average having a preference for a bass to treble delta of approximately 10dB. Now, interestingly, the Harman research also includes a paper on segmentation that's worth reading that indicates the different preference groups (some like a brighter tilt, some like a warmer tilt). Unfortunately that paper is often missed and people over-focus on the target as a reflection of the largest segment, but I think you get the point.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 19, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #63,504 of 65,787
My Issue with people focusing on Harman curve compliance is that it basically assumes everyone listens to easy going music. In my experience, your preferred music genre will greatly effect which headphones you will enjoy. Wouldn't it be better to review gear based on their merits rather than compliance with overly restrictive and arbitrary metrics?

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #63,505 of 65,787
My Issue with people focusing on Harman curve compliance is that it basically assumes everyone listens to easy going music. In my experience, your preferred music genre will greatly effect which headphones you will enjoy. Wouldn't it be better to review gear based on their merits rather than compliance with overly restrictive and arbitrary metrics?

And really it shouldn't be about strict 'compliance', which is why I highly suggest giving the segmentation paper a read. They did also study the effect of different types of music on listener preference as part of their larger research, or 'program material' as they called it. It really is good research worth reading beyond the typical headlines or indications that over-focus on compliance.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #63,506 of 65,787
One other thing to note - as part of the variables noted above, with a number of stock configurations for Grados (as in with the default pads) they can also have unique effects on the pinna, and pinna deformation isn't going to be the same for every person either. So this can also go a long way to explaining the differences in experiences among people when it comes to these headphones. Maybe for some the deformation is such that it yields a much more pleasant FR at the ear drum than it is for me and others who don't like them.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #63,507 of 65,787
One other thing to note - as part of the variables noted above, with a number of stock configurations for Grados (as in with the default pads) they can also have unique effects on the pinna, and pinna deformation isn't going to be the same for every person either. So this can also go a long way to explaining the differences in experiences among people when it comes to these headphones. Maybe for some the deformation is such that it yields a much more pleasant FR at the ear drum than it is for me and others who don't like them.
I suppose that's fair. Sadly I don't feel like purchasing the paper on segmentation, so I'll have to take you at your word. To me tho, it's bit odd to review exotic audiophile headphones based on how consumer friendly their tuning is. But it is what it is. We all have different goals in mind, I suppose.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #63,508 of 65,787
I suppose that's fair. Sadly I don't feel like purchasing the paper on segmentation, so I'll have to take you at your word. To me tho, it's bit odd to review exotic audiophile headphones based on how consumer friendly their tuning is. But it is what it is. We all have different goals in mind, I suppose.

So I get what you're saying, and I mentioned this in a different thread, but it's a bit like evaluating the benefits of fine dining experiences vs the flavor profile of the big mac. Seems kinda weird to do. But... if you think about it more along the lines of evaluating against the common preferences people have for bass to treble delta, it makes reasonable sense to use the largest segment as the reference point.

I also want to say that the idea that there's some important distinction between 'consumer' preferences and that of high enders is... probably an erroneous one. Like I'm not aware of any particular research that's found a trend there, but by all means if you have let me know. What may be the case though is that audiophiles have more... specific or even esoteric tastes. So, I'd grant that there may be more outliers there, in fact I think that's likely. But that doesn't mean we should calibrate our evaluative lens to focus specifically on those tastes as a reference point.

Last edited:

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #63,509 of 65,787
So I get what you're saying, and I mentioned this in a different thread, but it's a bit like evaluating the benefits of fine dining experiences vs the flavor profile of the big mac. Seems kinda weird to do. But... if you think about it more along the lines of evaluating against the common preferences people have for bass to treble delta, it makes reasonable sense to use the largest segment as the reference point.

I also want to say that the idea that there's some important distinction between 'consumer' preferences and that of high enders is... probably an erroneous one. Like I'm not aware of any particular research that's found a trend there, but by all means if you have let me know. What may be the case though is that audiophiles have more... specific or even esoteric tastes. So, I'd grant that there may be more outliers there, in fact I think that's likely. But that doesn't mean we should calibrate our evaluative lens to focus specifically on those tastes as a reference point.
I appreciate your openness, and willingness to visit this thread LOL. Hold on tight! But, I feel better about a reviewer if they consistently tell me what they like and dislike. I don't care what the masses like or dislike and hope that doesn't influence the review. I'm interested in what you like and why. We may disagree, but I can watch or read a review from someone, and overtime can align those views to mine. When a headphone, or gear is reviewed that I have, I can calibrate my likes/dislikes to the reviewer. Once calibrated, I can get an idea whether or not I may enjoy gear that they are reviewing for which I have no experience with. Just my thoughts

Leo

Dec 19, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #63,510 of 65,787
I appreciate your openness, and willingness to visit this thread LOL. Hold on tight! But, I feel better about a reviewer if they consistently tell me what they like and dislike. I don't care what the masses like or dislike and hope that doesn't influence the review. I'm interested in what you like and why. We may disagree, but I can watch or read a review from someone, and overtime can align those views to mine. When a headphone, or gear is reviewed that I have, I can calibrate my likes/dislikes to the reviewer. Once calibrated, I can get an idea whether or not I may enjoy gear that they are reviewing for which I have no experience with. Just my thoughts

Leo
I couldn't have said this better myself. I feel the same way. And while I'm not completely in agreement with the good folks of headphones.com, I'd like to apologize for any grief I caused them. The transparency is refreshing. I cannot deny that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back