Grado Fan Club!
Dec 20, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #63,526 of 65,724
I highly suspect everyone here are “old farts” with hearing loss because we love Grados. The Planars have great highs but for some reason I can’t hear them very well and my ears fatigue faster. I keep going back to my Grados shortly after. Maybe one day I’ll get the GS3000x to play with.
I guess I'm the odd one out. I'm still in my late 20s.

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #63,528 of 65,724
Can a grado ra1 drives hd600 adequately?
Yes. While HD600 has a nominal 300-ohm impedance, it is fairly efficient. Plus, RA-1 has a high gain factor; so my normal listening level (medium/loud) takes the volume knob to ‘noon’. The HD600/RA-1 pairing is engaging, enjoyable. My favourite h/p/a with HD600 are OTC and OTL tube h/p/a: those are in my study / office at ‘home home’.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #63,529 of 65,724
maybe your estimation of what the average listener likes is a little off because all the people i showed my Grados to are definitely no audiophiliacs and statistically speaking i shouldn't have such a high rate of positive reactions.

Just saying, no disrespect!
Isn't that making the assumption that your circle of friends is indicative of the public at large? I mean, part of the reason our friends become our friends is the things we have in common, in this case including musical and sound preferences.

Dec 20, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #63,531 of 65,724
• I haven’t read (or viewed) ‘professional’ reviewer comments on any headphone which I own. I do read, with keen interest, comments on headphones by those - here in HeadFi - who ‘plunked down’ hard-earned money for those headphones. To me, those opinions count. They may cause me to agree, to disagree, to investigate further, and sometimes to purchase.
• Oh, when posting about a headphone that you bought, please don’t start with “I’m not a [professional] reviewer but …” Give yourself credit for the conviction which led to the purchase.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #63,533 of 65,724
Age is very likely a factor as hearing tends to change as we age. Although... I'm 36, so not exactly young haha.***** There is a generational difference though for sure.
**** with that assessment, you should be making an appointment for ⚰️ fitting … 😳🤣

Dec 20, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #63,535 of 65,724
It's a very weird thing to assume that the friends we make all have the same likes and dislikes when it comes to headphones, how would that work?
The point that Tom White is making is that an overlap of interests helps to create friendships between people. Within that overlap, differences can still exist, uniformity is not guaranteed. Beyond that overlap, differences can abound! As in
A0AD6FF9-EC42-4899-83B9-28158BFE258E.jpeg

Dec 20, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #63,537 of 65,724
🎼 🎶 🎵 … [ “and back to our regular programming” ]

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #63,539 of 65,724
• I haven’t read (or viewed) ‘professional’ reviewer comments on any headphone which I own. I do read, with keen interest, comments on headphones by those - here in HeadFi - who ‘plunked down’ hard-earned money for those headphones. To me, those opinions count. They may cause me to agree, to disagree, to investigate further, and sometimes to purchase.
• Oh, when posting about a headphone that you bought, please don’t start with “I’m not a [professional] reviewer but …” Give yourself credit for the conviction which led to the purchase.
Just received my Yggy + GS2. I'll remember your advice when I post my thoughts in a week or so. No more "I'm not a professional" from me!

Leo

Dec 20, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #63,540 of 65,724
Just received my Yggy + GS2. I'll remember your advice when I post my thoughts in a week or so. No more "I'm not a professional" from me!

Leo
But you tell it the way that you hear it !! I’m looking forward to hearing the Yggy “Tales of Brave Uleoysses” 😜.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back