Grado Fan Club!
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #63,196 of 65,788
While I agree this is true most of the time for pad rolling, it's an absolute delight finding exceptions to the rule.

Quarter-modded S-cush/HD414 pads, and upgrading S-cush to L-cush on my SR80i, were indispensable when I started this hobby.

Occasional flats on the RS2i, HF3, and HP2 give me bass boost with little drawback.

G-cush on the GH2 and HP2 are nice for the augmented sound stage and treble emphasis.

Geekria donuts are my go-to for the HP2 for a great happy medium between the detail and soundstage of L-cush and the bass of flats.

Maybe it should be said that, Grado knows what they're doing with the voicing of their headphones with certain pads. So unless you're willing to put in time and money, and you're OK with the journey and not just the destination, don't expect better than stock pads.
Agreed , the quarter mod S are brilliant with both my Grados

But it's also comfort, not just sound

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #63,197 of 65,788
SR80x update after about 50 hours of 'burn in':

They don't sound like Sonys anymore, thank God!

Still using L pads and with a Mojo 1 and from the iPad Pro line-out they sound quite good now, typical Grado sound, quite balanced with a slight tilt towards sibilance (but that's the L's fault i guess).

Waiting another 50 hours for the next test but they are already quite promising now, especially when you look at their low price.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #63,198 of 65,788
Hey i won yesterday 325x
wanna ask, , is there any advantage to the 225x over the 325x in terms of sound?
I read some reviews that the 225x sound is warmer and closer to the listener's face than the 325x.
Can anyone confirm this?
I have the 225x's and use the G Cush pads. I enjoy listening to them. From what I've read, the 325X's are brighter than the 225x's. I've also read where the Hemp's are just a better sounding pair of 225x's. That caught my eye because I'm looking to move up the Grado ladder this Christmas.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #63,201 of 65,788
hey friend,
need amp\dac for my new grado rs325x . lush, warm, euphoric, organic sounding
portable or deskop until 200$
thanks !

will fiio ka15 good options?
Yes that will work but not sure if is lush and warm for that I would look at R2R dac like the Cayin Ru6
What I have noticed about the newer usb dacs is they seem to be aimed at the balanced side rather than the SE and given your headphone are not balanced

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #63,202 of 65,788
While I agree this is true most of the time for pad rolling, it's an absolute delight finding exceptions to the rule.

Quarter-modded S-cush/HD414 pads, and upgrading S-cush to L-cush on my SR80i, were indispensable when I started this hobby.

Occasional flats on the RS2i, HF3, and HP2 give me bass boost with little drawback.

G-cush on the GH2 and HP2 are nice for the augmented sound stage and treble emphasis.

Geekria donuts are my go-to for the HP2 for a great happy medium between the detail and soundstage of L-cush and the bass of flats.

Maybe it should be said that, Grado knows what they're doing with the voicing of their headphones with certain pads. So unless you're willing to put in time and money, and you're OK with the journey and not just the destination, don't expect better than stock pads.
To be more specific--aftermarket pads just kill the Grado magic for me. I've used Grado quarter modded S cushions in the past and did enjoy them, as well as always using Grado G cushions on both--my GH1 and GH2.

Nov 13, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #63,203 of 65,788
To be more specific--aftermarket pads just kill the Grado magic for me. I've used Grado quarter modded S cushions in the past and did enjoy them, as well as always using Grado G cushions on both--my GH1 and GH2.
Yeah I've bought some shockers , truly awful but also the Grado G on the RS2x is awful for me well, but no surprise really as they are tuned for the Ls. And the Ls are great, but I do prefer Beautiful Audio and Nyczaj, more comfortable and the sound is just nice for my ears

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #63,204 of 65,788
Second the G's on GH1's. Puts them in the same ballpark as my PS2k.

And speaking of, just wanted to drop in for any PS2000e owners. These are great headphones. A little EQ to fill out the low end puts these right up there with other TOTL kilobuck dynamics IMO. Anyone else out there still rocking these guys?

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #63,205 of 65,788
And speaking of, just wanted to drop in for any PS2000e owners. These are great headphones. A little EQ to fill out the low end puts these right up there with other TOTL kilobuck dynamics IMO. Anyone else out there still rocking these guys?
The GS3000e uses the same drivers. Agree, great headphone after the bass is boosted a little. I pair it with the Pro iCAN which has iFi's best implementation of the XBass feature that I originally loved on their Micro iDSD Black Label.

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #63,206 of 65,788
Second the G's on GH1's. Puts them in the same ballpark as my PS2k.

I still am loving my PS2000e’s!

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #63,207 of 65,788
Sorry to be the new Grado acolyte that won't shut-up. :ksc75smile: But the RS1x continues to invade my pleasure zone! Listening to Jeff Beck this morning "I Put a Spell on You" song. A random song from Tidal that certainly describes my new RS1x's effect on me.

These headphones actually have me turn my head towards a sound "in my room" that is actually just part of the recording. So that is the plus side of these headphones.

I do miss some of the bass that my other headphones provide. On the other hand the resolution of the RS1x does make some of my headphones sound a little muddy.

I know one headphone cannot do it all. I did boost the bass a little via my iFi Neo2 headphone/DAC. And my Schiit Asgard makes these headphone's sound a tad richer. Is a tube amp. in my future?

Thanks for indulging me as I get used to Grado. I also like the Hemps that I previously purchased. I may give them to my son-in-law to give him a look into the unique sound.

Nov 13, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #63,209 of 65,788
hey friend,
need amp\dac for my new grado rs325x . lush, warm, euphoric, organic sounding
portable or deskop until 200$
thanks !

will fiio ka15 good options?
Schiit Vali 2, or a bit more Asgard 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back