Grado Fan Club!
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #62,476 of 65,841
I would only say that I do not plan to go back to any of my ss amps anytime soon the biggest difference is the "tubey" lowend/bass the rest including the midrange is "tubey" too highs/treble are also "tubey" sounding...

For me "tubey" is just "real world sounds/that natural real world as I hear it without the headphones on".
It is "sweeter" too vs ss amp for sure.
71Q9m8ui3sS.jpg

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #62,477 of 65,841
I would only say that I do not plan to go back to any of my ss amps anytime soon the biggest difference is the "tubey" lowend/bass the rest including the midrange is "tubey" too highs/treble are also "tubey" sounding...

For me "tubey" is just "real world sounds/that natural real world as I hear it without the headphones on".
Nice. I will have to try someday. Had a tube stereo integrated 20 years ago and have great memories with it. But never have tried one with headphones.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #62,478 of 65,841

• Don’t rule out all SS h/p/a. I didn’t. There are times when I want to listen, to enjoy tube benefits, but to let the tube h/p/a rest.
• That’s where lightly sweet SS h/p/a come in. For Grados (and other h/p), I recommend: Gilmore Lite II with Golden Reference p/s/u, Violectric HPA V202 / V222. These are current models.
• For prior models, I suggest: Grado RA-1, Violectric HPA V200 / V220 / V280 / V281 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #62,479 of 65,841
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #62,480 of 65,841
• Don’t rule out all SS h/p/a. I didn’t. There are times when I want to listen, to enjoy tube benefits, but to let the tube h/p/a rest.
• That’s where lightly sweet SS h/p/a come in. For Grados (and other h/p), I recommend: Gilmore Lite II with Golden Reference p/s/u, Violectric HPA V202 / V222. These are current models.
• For prior models, I suggest: Grado RA-1, Violectric HPA V200 / V220 / V280 / V281 🤷🏻‍♂️.
Personally the best headphone amp I ever heard was the Vorzuge Pure II. It tamed the highs, brought out the mids even fuller in the most natural way.. and the bass was godly,

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #62,481 of 65,841
After few days with the MKIV SE I must say that I have not heard this much bass/lowend coming out of the RS1x before ever.
I am a little afraid*** to use this amp with the SR325x and The Hemp but I will later/soon...:)
*** from the 1933 inaugural address of FDR: “We have nothing to fear but fear itself” 😜.

Aug 25, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #62,482 of 65,841
The Vio 220 does seem a little tubey to me.

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #62,483 of 65,841
I have an old original pair of Grado SR60 and I was thinking about moving up to the Grado 125X. How much of a difference so you think this upgrade would be? Do you think I would even notice a difference, or is it a fairly substantial upgrade?
I would suggest considering the SR225e - the upgrade in sound and musicality are substantial in my opinion and should be available on the used market for not that much.

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #62,484 of 65,841
Talked to Grado about getting my Hemps repaired. I am sending them in tomorrow, which will be much cooler out, it is scorching hot here in central Illinois right now.. they would be putting the braided cable on my v1 hemps. Which, in all reality is their true “pandemic headphone.” And was created from the ground up during these times.. even the driver is very unique in it and was made during a transition phase when they were getting ready to make their x series drivers. Will be glad to have them back.

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #62,485 of 65,841
I have just got a new addition to my Grado collection
A pair off broken SR80 of eBay for £12 not quiet sure which version they are.
I removed the original damaged cable by heating the cups on a hot plate and gently pulling them apart
IMG_4118.jpg

I then doubled the cable from each driver
IMG_4119.jpg

I then added 3.5mm (3 pole)sockets buy joining the whites(+) and soldering to the tip connection then splitting the two blues (-) to the other two terminals and covering with heat shrink.
IMG_4120.jpg

I then added some epoxy resin to the sockets and reassembled using a hot glue gun to seal them
IMG_4121.jpg

the original pads are on the washing line drying out
Very happy with the sound

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #62,486 of 65,841
I have an old original pair of Grado SR60 and I was thinking about moving up to the Grado 125X. How much of a difference so you think this upgrade would be? Do you think I would even notice a difference, or is it a fairly substantial upgrade?
Personally, I didn't hear much of a difference between the 60s and 125s, but this was many many years ago (before the X drivers.) The main difference for me was just the beefier cable w/ the 125s. To be fair though, I'm admittedly one of those who doesn't notice much difference at all in most of the grado line from the 60s all the way up to the rs2 (have tried all models in between.) I really only bought the rs2 because I like the way the wood looks, lol.

You'd probably get a more noticeable difference by moving to the 225s or higher (but honestly most of that difference comes from the switch in pad-types.) Might be more cost-efficient to just switch to the flats (or bowls,) for your 60s. I think that'd provide more of an sq difference than just strictly going from the 60s to the 125s. Just my humble opinion anyway...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #62,487 of 65,841
Personally, I didn't hear much of a difference between the 60s and 125s, but this was many many years ago (before the X drivers.) The main difference for me was just the beefier cable w/ the 125s. To be fair though, I'm admittedly one of those who doesn't notice much difference at all in most of the grado line from the 60s all the way up to the rs2 (have tried all models in between.) I really only bought the rs2 because I like the way the wood looks, lol.

You'd probably get a more noticeable difference by moving to the 225s or higher (but honestly most of that difference comes from the switch in pad-types.) Might be more cost-efficient to just switch to the flats (or bowls,) for your 60s. I think that'd provide more of an sq difference than just strictly going from the 60s to the 125s. Just my humble opinion anyway...
It’s really weird with Grados for me. When I first got my ps500e and my rs1e at different times. I was blown away like never before when I first heard them. Then after using them for a while I switched back and forth playing cds between the higher end models and the 80e’s and hearing absolutely no difference between the two. Do Grado users suffer serious placebo effect? If so, I’m one that does as well.

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #62,488 of 65,841
It’s really weird with Grados for me. When I first got my ps500e and my rs1e at different times. I was blown away like never before when I first heard them. Then after using them for a while I switched back and forth playing cds between the higher end models and the 80e’s and hearing absolutely no difference between the two. Do Grado users suffer serious placebo effect? If so, I’m one that does as well.
I'm not going to say there's no difference, but personally I believe the differences up and down the line (I can only speak to models up to the RS2 as I've not gone higher w/ Grados) are extremely minimal when you don't take pads into account. I think the different pad types are what make the majority of difference in sound. I'm probably re-opening a can of worms here but I'm fairly skeptical that each model (at least of the prestige series) has their own specific driver. I think they instead count on the differences in cabling, venting, housing materials, etc... between the models to account for any sq differences. I know others disagree, but that's just my opinion. Even if my assumption is true, I'm not saying it's necessarily shady or deceptive and I'm sure other headphone companies do the same type of thing and account for differences in things like housings, cabling, etc to differentiate their models.

And yes, placebo effect plays a huge part (i think for the hobby as a whole; not just Grado users.) I'm including myself in that :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #62,489 of 65,841
The only headphones that truly took me to the moon were ultrasones.. practically had outer body experiences with those and sitting around with my jaw open all day, I think there is such a thing as sounding too good as well. Can’t focus on a damn thing else lol. I think Grado is the sweet spot for me when wanting a pleasant natural sound while still being perfectly aware of your surroundings. This may sound strange but that is truly how good they were to me. Those ultrasones would be very dangerous to wear while driving. I got up to the edition 8’s. Makes me want to save up and get another set of them as I type this to you. I don’t know how they would fare with the genres of music I listen to these days. But they were absolutely 110% perfect for anything that dealt with electronic instruments and vocals. From memory.. I think Grado would do far better with jazz and classical than an ultrasone. However Grado has a very special sound of its own with electronic music that is hard to deny.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #62,490 of 65,841
I'm not going to say there's no difference, but personally I believe the differences up and down the line (I can only speak to models up to the RS2 as I've not gone higher w/ Grados) are extremely minimal when you don't take pads into account. I think the different pad types are what make the majority of difference in sound. I'm probably re-opening a can of worms here but I'm fairly skeptical that each model (at least of the prestige series) has their own specific driver. I think they instead count on the differences in cabling, venting, housing materials, etc... between the models to account for any sq differences. I know others disagree, but that's just my opinion. Even if my assumption is true, I'm not saying it's necessarily shady or deceptive and I'm sure other headphone companies do the same type of thing and account for differences in things like housings, cabling, etc to differentiate their models.

And yes, placebo effect plays a huge part (i think for the hobby as a whole; not just Grado users.) I'm including myself in that :gs1000smile:
Given how similar the minimal measurements given look... that thought crossed my mind as well. I experimented a bit with changing pads on various models (Hemp, GH2, RS1x, RS2x), and yes, that changes the characteristics quite a bit. But making one model into another? I'd not go that far.

It would be very interesting to try to isolate the changes to just the enclosure, i.e. identical drivers in different housings. I'm not so sure the different wood types make so much of a difference in acoustics... otherwise sound would have to change if I touch/hold the housing, shouldn't it? I'd expect that would dampen any resonances...

But anyway, I like wooden headphones. They sure look nice, feel good in hand and have something that makes them unique. Plus they sound alive, make me listen to music longer, ever wanting more... I don't care too much how they achieve this. Seems to work for me :wink: Hearing is complex, as is any experience. Expectations play a role as well. Since I don't construct headphones I can gladly ignore the details though and cherish the result.

Should be able to pick up my GS3000x tomorrow btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back