Grado Fan Club!
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #62,491 of 65,789
The only headphones that truly took me to the moon were ultrasones.. practically had outer body experiences with those and sitting around with my jaw open all day, I think there is such a thing as sounding too good as well. Can’t focus on a damn thing else lol. I think Grado is the sweet spot for me when wanting a pleasant natural sound while still being perfectly aware of your surroundings. This may sound strange but that is truly how good they were to me. Those ultrasones would be very dangerous to wear while driving. I got up to the edition 8’s. Makes me want to save up and get another set of them as I type this to you. I don’t know how they would fare with the genres of music I listen to these days. But they were absolutely 110% perfect for anything that dealt with electronic instruments and vocals. From memory.. I think Grado would do far better with jazz and classical than an ultrasone. However Grado has a very special sound of its own with electronic music that is hard to deny.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #62,492 of 65,789
I'm not going to say there's no difference, but personally I believe the differences up and down the line (I can only speak to models up to the RS2 as I've not gone higher w/ Grados) are extremely minimal when you don't take pads into account. I think the different pad types are what make the majority of difference in sound. I'm probably re-opening a can of worms here but I'm fairly skeptical that each model (at least of the prestige series) has their own specific driver. I think they instead count on the differences in cabling, venting, housing materials, etc... between the models to account for any sq differences. I know others disagree, but that's just my opinion. Even if my assumption is true, I'm not saying it's necessarily shady or deceptive and I'm sure other headphone companies do the same type of thing and account for differences in things like housings, cabling, etc to differentiate their models.

And yes, placebo effect plays a huge part (i think for the hobby as a whole; not just Grado users.) I'm including myself in that :gs1000smile:
Given how similar the minimal measurements given look... that thought crossed my mind as well. I experimented a bit with changing pads on various models (Hemp, GH2, RS1x, RS2x), and yes, that changes the characteristics quite a bit. But making one model into another? I'd not go that far.

It would be very interesting to try to isolate the changes to just the enclosure, i.e. identical drivers in different housings. I'm not so sure the different wood types make so much of a difference in acoustics... otherwise sound would have to change if I touch/hold the housing, shouldn't it? I'd expect that would dampen any resonances...

But anyway, I like wooden headphones. They sure look nice, feel good in hand and have something that makes them unique. Plus they sound alive, make me listen to music longer, ever wanting more... I don't care too much how they achieve this. Seems to work for me :wink: Hearing is complex, as is any experience. Expectations play a role as well. Since I don't construct headphones I can gladly ignore the details though and cherish the result.

Should be able to pick up my GS3000x tomorrow btw.

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #62,494 of 65,789
It’s really weird with Grados for me. When I first got my ps500e and my rs1e at different times. I was blown away like never before when I first heard them. Then after using them for a while I switched back and forth playing cds between the higher end models and the 80e’s and hearing absolutely no difference between the two. Do Grado users suffer serious placebo effect? If so, I’m one that does as well.
Any headphones are dangerous to wear while driving. Audio awareness is a key aspect of traffic and vehicular safety.

OK, dad cap is off. Back to discussion about Grados!
No more dangerous than listening to a full blown car sound system at extreme levels.. where even the sound of a semi truck horn be damned….

Aug 25, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #62,495 of 65,789
I got pulled over by the police for wearing headphones whilst driving. They weren't plugged in, forgot I had them on :)

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #62,496 of 65,789
IMG_20230825_142538422_HDR.jpg

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #62,497 of 65,789
I got pulled over by the police for wearing headphones whilst driving. They weren't plugged in, forgot I had them on :)
The police ticketed you for not having the headphones plugged in …. also, a good thing that your music taste is 👍 …. the coppers aren’t too keen on boy bands, etc. ….

Aug 26, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #62,498 of 65,789
The police ticketed you for not having the headphones plugged in …. also, a good thing that your music taste is 👍 …. the coppers aren’t too keen on boy bands, etc. ….
No ticket, just a stern look. Once they established that I wasn't drunk (their assumption n seeing me driving along with a pair of shp9500's on), they let me go :)

I showed them Pigs :pig:

You could say I fought the law, & I won 👮‍♀️

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #62,500 of 65,789
Questions to Grado Gurus :relaxed:
Which model is the follower of GH2 (GH1) - is that GH4?
Whats the difference between GH4 and RS2x?
Till yet, I seldom listen Grados and when for short time.

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #62,501 of 65,789
With the sound that this pairing conveys, I should be mulling multiple FS transactions in the Head-Fi classified adverts …
C8729779-3673-4E40-8B2A-0E93724EEF7E.jpeg
but Head-Fiers and rationality seldom cross paths … 🎼 😀 🤪 🎶

Aug 26, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #62,502 of 65,789
With the sound that this pairing conveys, I should be mulling multiple FS transactions in the Head-Fi classified adverts … but Head-Fiers and rationality seldom cross paths … 🎼 😀 🤪 🎶
How weighty are those things? Just from what I remember w/ the weight of my sr325s, I'd imagine these tend to give one's neck muscles a proper workout holding them up.

I want one... :gs1000smile:

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #62,503 of 65,789
How weighty are those things? Just from what I remember w/ the weight of my sr325s, I'd imagine these tend to give one's neck muscles a proper workout holding them up.

I want one... :gs1000smile:
They are heavy but the headband distributes the weight very well. Also, the Nyczaj Audio gimbal assemblies hold the gimbal rods securely - no earcup downward sliding - and can be torqued.

Aug 26, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #62,504 of 65,789
How weighty are those things? Just from what I remember w/ the weight of my sr325s, I'd imagine these tend to give one's neck muscles a proper workout holding them up.***
*** this may be of interest to you … 😏:
2D41B7FC-697E-46FE-A0DE-B5767856AAD1.jpeg

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #62,505 of 65,789
So, today was the day... I picked up the GS3000x. The wood does look beautiful... but unfortunately it seems to have a bad left driver: not completely dead, but some frequencies seem very quiet, resulting in stereo mid moved to the right, esp. voices. Just checked with my GH2 to make sure its not the source material or the electronics, but the problem is there directly from my iPhone (where I checked with a frequency generator), my iPod as well as my Hugo. Hm. Not quite what I expected at this price. Also not nice: there's a mark in the wood on the right cup.

Not a state to do any judgments, yet... sound is... just so so. Might get used to it, but atm it seems quite likely I'll sell it soon after sorting this problem out. Part of this might be the frustration of receiving a malfunctioning unit, and hearing it correctly it might have been off to a better start. Yet it won't get any lighter, and despite the larger headband with even some cushioning I do feel its weight -- this is quite unexpected, but not catastrophic.

IMG_1245.jpegIMG_1258.jpegIMG_1259.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back