Grado Fan Club!
Apr 30, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #60,302 of 65,841
Speakers yes but I wouldn't expect planars and dynamic headphones to use paper. Take a look at Susvara planar magnetic drivers.

Audioquest NightOwl is pulp (paper). It has a really nice bass tone.

I'm surprised more dynamic headphones don't use treated paper. Paper is great for bass...

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #60,303 of 65,841
Speakers yes but I wouldn't expect planars and dynamic headphones to use paper. Take a look at Susvara planar magnetic drivers.
denon ah-d9200 "nano fiber"

Attachments

• g033AHD9200-o_other1.jpg
    g033AHD9200-o_other1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #60,305 of 65,841
Audioquest NightOwl is pulp (paper). It has a really nice bass tone.

I'm surprised more dynamic headphones don't use treated paper. Paper is great for bass...
"Bass" is a swear word in a lot of audiophile circles. Way too many people think that having headphones that sound like listening to music coming out of an answering machine means it has "clarity" and "definition."

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #60,306 of 65,841
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #60,308 of 65,841
"Bass" is a swear word in a lot of audiophile circles. Way too many people think that having headphones that sound like listening to music coming out of an answering machine means it has "clarity" and "definition."
Double like...

I have never been to a concert that didn't have bass ...Rock, Jazz, and yes classical...

Apr 30, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #60,309 of 65,841
In all fairness, Grado does have bass. Just different kind. I have live through 4 Audeze models including the LCD4 and have just heard the Abyss 1266 TC the other day. So I know what awesome bass is.

However that didn't detract me from liking Grado sound as it is. In fact the more I listen to it, the more I like it.

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #60,310 of 65,841
However that didn't detract me from liking Grado sound as it is. In fact the more I listen to it, the more I like it.
As a fellow new member of the Grado owners' club (325x), I think Grado is special because of the energy and immediacy of the sound, matched with impeccable tuning. Listening to Grado's puts you in the front row of a live show.

How often do we see discussions about EQ in this thread? Rarely. I have no problem with EQ, as it's almost mandatory for some headphones (cough, looking at you, Focal and Audeze) and makes them sound better.

But it's still pretty damn refreshing to enter a thread about headphones and not see people post endless EQ profiles that tweak one band by a few decibels and claim they have found the Eureka! sound delivered to them by Moses from Mount Sinai.

Grados are just tuned really well out of the box.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #60,311 of 65,841
Where can I find an EQ setting someone made online that I can copy?

I was thinking about a design that'd lead to being a half-open back. Like a convex cone behind the driver that does let air out but also slows it down and has some reflection for bass. Best of both worlds.

Apr 30, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #60,312 of 65,841
In all fairness, Grado does have bass. Just different kind. I have live through 4 Audeze models including the LCD4 and have just heard the Abyss 1266 TC the other day. So I know what awesome bass is.

IMO, Grado bass is more true to life than Audeze or Abyss bass...at least when we are talking about live music involving acoustic instruments (jazz, classical...rock in a smalish venue). The music produced by a jazz trio does not sound like something reproduced by an Audeze or Abyss. Now, if I wanted to listen to rap or electronic music, I would probably chose an Audeze ( or my Fostex) over a Grado.

Since I mostly listen to jazz, I mostly use my Grados.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #60,314 of 65,841
IMO, Grado bass is more true to life than Audeze or Abyss bass...at least when we are talking about live music involving acoustic instruments (jazz, classical...rock in a smalish venue). The music produced by a jazz trio does not sound like something reproduced by an Audeze or Abyss. Now, if I wanted to listen to rap or electronic music, I would probably chose an Audeze ( or my Fostex) over a Grado.

Since I mostly listen to jazz, I mostly use my Grados.

I fully agree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back