Grado Fan Club!
Apr 30, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #60,317 of 66,291
As a fellow new member of the Grado owners' club (325x), I think Grado is special because of the energy and immediacy of the sound, matched with impeccable tuning. Listening to Grado's puts you in the front row of a live show.

How often do we see discussions about EQ in this thread? Rarely. I have no problem with EQ, as it's almost mandatory for some headphones (cough, looking at you, Focal and Audeze) and makes them sound better.

But it's still pretty damn refreshing to enter a thread about headphones and not see people post endless EQ profiles that tweak one band by a few decibels and claim they have found the Eureka! sound delivered to them by Moses from Mount Sinai.

Grados are just tuned really well out of the box.

And there is an absence of cables discussion. AND there is an absence of amp discussion as happen in Susvara thread. That thread gives me a massive headache.

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #60,318 of 66,291
I'm listening to Uriah Heep 'Lady In Black' and I cannot fault the presentation. I can literally see the lady in black.

My dealer just msg that the Hemp is in stock. Should I laugh or cry?
I like my hemp lol good bass!

Buy
Buy
Buy

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #60,320 of 66,291
Ok that got me curious. Does Hemp have more bass than GH1, 325x and RS1X? That I have to find out.
It is so close to 325x. But try it first :)

May 1, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #60,322 of 66,291
Finally figured out how to apply oratorys harman target from a 60e graph. It's nice. Now I see why people say these have no bass, it's because in comparing to the harman target they don't. Saying these have ample bass is like saying a Honda Civic is fast and then whispering next to a tricycle. It doesn't exactly compute. I can't imagine ever wanting to tune a driver this way because it sounds unnatural. Forego all body for a peaky high end; why bother? Who is this made for, trembling 80 year olds with hearing damage?

My EQ for reference, I guess I like it way bright, it brings out realism and punch and I think it sounds better so no, the harman target isn't everything but jeez, Grado, get with the times.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501-012604.png
    Screenshot_20230501-012604.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230501-012558.png
    Screenshot_20230501-012558.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
May 1, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #60,324 of 66,291
I find the SR60e have decent bass once I adjust them on my head a bit.

May 1, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #60,325 of 66,291
1st of May when Autumn leaves falls and Grados sing, I got my Hemp. :relaxed: I shall remember 2023 as the year of the Grado. :stuck_out_tongue: In the flesh, they are well made. Stock pads are the same as 325x - F pads but the cable is similar to my GH1. Not the new sleeve cable. Quality is better than the 325x but at $300 more, I expect it to be.

Out of the box, I don't find this to be that similar to the 325x. It's smoother and not as excited as the 325x. Not even burn in yet, I already find the Hemp an easier headphone to live with and enjoy. The tone is more palatable. Bass has a more prominent thump compared to my other Grados. Treble is definitely less incisive than the RS1X. No wonder there are a lot of Hemp fans.

Now to burn it in.... in the oven !

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

May 1, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #60,327 of 66,291
IMO, Grado bass is more true to life than Audeze or Abyss bass...at least when we are talking about live music involving acoustic instruments (jazz, classical...rock in a smalish venue). The music produced by a jazz trio does not sound like something reproduced by an Audeze or Abyss. Now, if I wanted to listen to rap or electronic music, I would probably chose an Audeze ( or my Fostex) over a Grado.

Since I mostly listen to jazz, I mostly use my Grados.

Interesting, what kind(s) of jazz?

And there is an absence of cables discussion. AND there is an absence of amp discussion as happen in Susvara thread. That thread gives me a massive headache.

Because the cables are not detachable and because any amp can drive them :D

May 1, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #60,329 of 66,291
1st of May when Autumn leaves falls and Grados sing, I got my Hemp. :relaxed: I shall remember 2023 as the year of the Grado. :stuck_out_tongue: In the flesh, they are well made. Stock pads are the same as 325x - F pads but the cable is similar to my GH1. Not the new sleeve cable. Quality is better than the 325x but at $300 more, I expect it to be.

Out of the box, I don't find this to be that similar to the 325x. It's smoother and not as excited as the 325x. Not even burn in yet, I already find the Hemp an easier headphone to live with and enjoy. The tone is more palatable. Bass has a more prominent thump compared to my other Grados. Treble is definitely less incisive than the RS1X. No wonder there are a lot of Hemp fans.

Now to burn it in.... in the oven !

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg
Bro my hemp have different cable. Mine is similar cable to 325x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back