Grado Fan Club!
Apr 19, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #59,971 of 65,787
Yup the black Nirvana doesn't look as good as the previous wooden chassis version. I have a choice of amps to try yesterday but because I was auditioning Caldera first, I choose an amp with more oomph.

I did listen to the RS1x for a short while but the 325x is the loudest of them all. It must be the most efficient of all the Grados. In an audition, usually the loudest headphone gets your attention. With more time spent at home, your preference might change. There was no Hemp there... fortunately or I might have bought the Hemp instead. :)

However back home and still going through the Dire Straits catalog, I can't get enough of the 325x and it's 4:47am on a Wed here.

Damn, just when I thought my sleeping time is "owl" enough, there you are with 3 hours ahead of me.

RS1x, with the standard bowl pad, not as "explosive" as 325x. RS1x is more refine, spacious, with natural wood sound. Hemp (roughly) is like the combination of RS1x and 325x.

Just a little tip, if you like warm sounding of Flat Pad, but demand more comfort, you can opt to ZMF pad for Grado, the lambskin type.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #59,972 of 65,787
RS1x, with the standard bowl pad, not as "explosive" as 325x. RS1x is more refine, spacious, with natural wood sound.

You have describe it pretty accurately here. Those are my thoughts too from the short audition of the 2 headphones.

Just a little tip, if you like warm sounding of Flat Pad, but demand more comfort, you can opt to ZMF pad for Grado, the lambskin type.

Do you have a link on where to buy the ZMF pads? Do they snap on easily like the Grado pads. The stock F pads are just great to my ears.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #59,974 of 65,787
I still can't believe the fact that Auris is no more using wood design. I looked at your photo and my eyes wandering around where the Nirvana in this photo lol.

Grado actually is my first serious headphone that grab me to this deep audiophile world. Have you tried Hemp? or perhaps RS1x? Both of them are my current favourites for under $1000 Grado. While GS3000x indeed is the leader of the pack in term of sound and build.
I have not. Someday, I hope!

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #59,975 of 65,787
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #59,976 of 65,787
GradoFamilyPic.jpeg
Grado Family pic (minus vintage RS-2 button that is being repaired by Grado):

RS-2e - with ZMF pads
Grado wood cup mock kit with SR80 drivers + ZMF pads
Hemps - turbulent labs headband + ZMF pads + mini-XLR cable mod
SR325 OG - turbulent labs headband + ZMF pads + mini-XLR cable mod
SR325x - turbulent labs headband + ZMF pads
GS3000 mock kit - mmxc removable cable mod + Dekoni pads
GS1000i - turbulent labs headband + mini-XLR cable mod + ZMF pads
Impressive! Which ZMF pad are you using on your 325x, @Snake0IL415 ? Beyer fenestrated sheepskin?

I bought my 325x about a month ago. Love them but need an over-ear pad for comfort. Keen on ZMF, as I LOVE their pads for my 6XX. Judging by your picture, you are the ZMF Grado pad expert, so I appreciate your advice!

Thanks.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #59,978 of 65,787
No worries I ordered both large and small Grado adapters from ZMF. One of them has to fit right? :)

The sun is coming up and I still have Grado on my head. This time it's the GH1 with the F stock pads from 325x. :) Sounds good too. Listening to How it Feels by Sophie Zelmani on Tidal. Never heard this song before but it's gooooood.

A word of caution. Don't step into the world of Grado. You will loose your sanity.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #59,980 of 65,787
From the first day standing in the shop, having one of these phones in hand, wondering about that minimalistic, somewhat mechanical design, that looks like a WW2 radio operator tool, especially the metal ones, there is something magical about them, that you can’t escape.
Maybe it’s the contrast between the ‘mechanical’ appearance, these 90° and 45° bevelled into round instead of oval housings and the organic, open, more true than 100% THD free sound.
These headphones are analog ‘stead of digital sounding.
They work great with solid state amplification, even from the most simple Android mobile.
They are perfect with your DAP.
And still scaling immensely with desktop-/ rack devices.
But with some tubes, the more energetic ones, they can show you really holographic sound stages.
Bested only by very expensive electrostatics.
I’ m still talking about the SR80something.
Doesn’t matter if one is more into streaming, digital radio or CD. You don’t need to be a vinyl or reel 2 reel tape guy.
If you can live with that reduced to the functional, somehow quirky, but definitely old school design, with its on ear comfort and the fact, that these are always open backs, …
don’t give them a try if you care for your wallet!
Because the moment you discovered that there are fine but audible differences, it’s hard to live with a single one.
Even the lowest priced Grado opens the trapdoor to the audiophile world.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #59,981 of 65,787
Doesn’t matter if one is more into streaming, digital radio or CD. You don’t need to be a vinyl or reel 2 reel tape guy.

I've yet to connect my Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge to feed the Grados. At the moment too busy making song selections on Tidal.

I will be leaving for my amp builder's place to pick up 3 tube amps, that are according to him are ultra quiet with high efficieny headphones. It's going to be a busy day with 3 hours sleep.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #59,982 of 65,787
I've yet to connect my Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge to feed the Grados. At the moment too busy making song selections on Tidal.

I will be leaving for my amp builder's place to pick up 3 tube amps, that are according to him are ultra quiet with high efficieny headphones. It's going to be a busy day with 3 hours sleep.
Consider me jealous.

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #59,984 of 65,787
Consider me jealous.
OK now you two fanboys have me wanting to take my Grado down from the shelf tomorrow and give my ZMFs a break. Will report back…

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #59,985 of 65,787
One a.m., time to relax. Kids and wife are in bed, the finishing touches of household are done.
Dishwasher filled and running, no one will trip over toys in the mornin, desk is swabbed, lunchboxes prepared so far. Time to spread the stuff. To reduce sleep by some listening.
Lately it was all I could grab around the Blues Brothers. Rega Apollo, P3/ Grado Prestige Blue 3, Thorens TD160/ Grado Platinum 3, Lehmann Black Cube SE II, Linear, several Grado Headphones. OK …and others.
The daughter has hidden the Hemp somewhere. No sweets tomorrow!
Now it’s coffee and an audiobook. Stephen Fry reading the complete Conan Doyles Holmes.
72 hours. Great stuff.
The configuration is kept more simple: iPad, Chord Mojo (DAC) to ifi iDSD Micro BL (amp), Grado RS1e.

edit: 4000. We did it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back