Grado Fan Club!
Apr 19, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #59,986 of 66,245
I'm trimming my collection down substantially, but I'm keeping all of my Gradeos (SR60, SR80, 325e, 325x RS1e, RS1x, GS3000x also the mistake headfi metal cup from years back). There is nothing like a Grado. It's almost like a cruise trip. you love it or hate it. I love them all, and NOTHING compares (YMMV)

Leo

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #59,988 of 66,245
Happy 4000 pages to all. :beerchug:

Grado owners are a talkative lot. :ksc75smile:

Back from McChanson Studio and I got 4 not 3 tube amps. :rolling_eyes: Plug it into the Mini 6Y6G and Micro 6EW7 amps with my 325x and it's dead silent. :relaxed: So far only started listening to the 6y6g with 325x and it's explosive. Private Investigation by Dire Straits sounded like a serious thriller. When the drums hit, bass deniers will agree that the 325x has bass ! Tight and taut. A clenched fist punch only Bruce Lee can produce.

So left to right, the amps are:-
(they are all transformer coupled amps. These amps are like Grados. Cheap and incredibly good.
  1. 6as7/5998 3w amp - uses good quality Russian K40y-9 PIO capacitors.
  2. 6y6g/6v6 3w amp - this is optimized for 6y6g and 6v6 tubes but will also run KT88 and EL34, etc. Uses good quality Russian K40y-9 PIO capacitors.
  3. 6ew7/6fd7 2w amp - Direct coupled - no caps.
  4. 6s3p 1w amp - ONE stage only, supposed to be simple and good. @Zachik will tell you more. He has the upgraded version.
The 2nd and 3rd have speaker outputs.

IMG_5923.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #59,989 of 66,245

We've achieved our goal of misleading the masses into buying these crappy headphones for more than 10 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Our work is done here just beginning ! 🇺🇸🇬🇧🇯🇵🇨🇦….🌎 🪐 ….
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Yay! 4,000 pages and their cables are still fixed! Hip-hip-hooray! 🍾🎉🥳🎊🍺

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #59,990 of 66,245
Alright anymore impressions of the amps will be posted on the McChanson's thread but I will return after a week to summarise what I think about GH1 and 325x.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eric-mcchanson-headphone-amp.718350/page-38

Preliminary listening with these 2 Grados with the tube amps have been a joy. Totally silent with no music playing and the tone is just amazing. I have to say that I'm very impressed with the Grados compared to the HD800 and Susvara. Considering their low cost, it's incredible that I am getting so much joy out it.

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #59,991 of 66,245
I'm trimming my collection down substantially, but I'm keeping all of my Gradeos (SR60, SR80, 325e, 325x RS1e, RS1x, GS3000x also the mistake headfi metal cup from years back). There is nothing like a Grado. It's almost like a cruise trip. you love it or hate it. I love them all, and NOTHING compares (YMMV)

Leo
Agreed 🤝

I’ve had a lot of expensive headphones, I’ve been at CanJam and tried everything. None of them can bring me joy as my trusty Hemp. Doesn’t matter what new headphone I buy, I always come back to Hemp as my daily driver. I think that I should accept Hemp as my endgame.

Attachments

• ADD44B80-DD7B-433A-AB37-0387B5BFEDCB.jpeg
    ADD44B80-DD7B-433A-AB37-0387B5BFEDCB.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #59,993 of 66,245
Apr 20, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #59,994 of 66,245
Apr 20, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #59,995 of 66,245
Who is going to take post #60,000?
Make it a good one....no pressure....

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #59,997 of 66,245
I meant me! :)

Hey Chat GPT, why are Grado headphones so popular yet controversial?

Answer:

Grado headphones are popular for several reasons, including their excellent sound quality, unique design, and high level of craftsmanship. However, they are also controversial for a few reasons.

One reason for their controversy is their open-back design, which allows sound to leak in and out of the headphones. While this design can create a more natural and spacious sound, it can also be a nuisance for those around the listener, and it can also compromise the bass response.

Another reason for their controversy is their high price point. Grado headphones can be quite expensive, especially for their higher-end models, which can cost thousands of dollars. Some people argue that the sound quality is not worth the high cost, while others believe that the build quality and attention to detail justifies the price.

Finally, Grado headphones have been criticized for being uncomfortable to wear for long periods, especially for people with larger heads. The earpads are small and may not fit all ear sizes comfortably, and the headphones may exert too much pressure on the head, leading to discomfort.

Despite these controversies, Grado headphones have a devoted fan base that swears by their sound quality and unique design.

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #59,998 of 66,245
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #59,999 of 66,245
I meant me! :)

Hey Chat GPT, why are Grado headphones so popular yet controversial?

Answer:

Grado headphones are popular for several reasons, including their excellent sound quality, unique design, and high level of craftsmanship. However, they are also controversial for a few reasons.

One reason for their controversy is their open-back design, which allows sound to leak in and out of the headphones. While this design can create a more natural and spacious sound, it can also be a nuisance for those around the listener, and it can also compromise the bass response.

Another reason for their controversy is their high price point. Grado headphones can be quite expensive, especially for their higher-end models, which can cost thousands of dollars. Some people argue that the sound quality is not worth the high cost, while others believe that the build quality and attention to detail justifies the price.

Finally, Grado headphones have been criticized for being uncomfortable to wear for long periods, especially for people with larger heads. The earpads are small and may not fit all ear sizes comfortably, and the headphones may exert too much pressure on the head, leading to discomfort.

Despite these controversies, Grado headphones have a devoted fan base that swears by their sound quality and unique design.
Also one big factor for me at least. Was that moving up from cheapo starter headphones, my first real headphone was the Sr60 which was about £60. And its Still good condition. Then I moved up to the Senn hd580 at £100. New. And still mint. Then upto a gold Sr325i. Also mint. And the hobby gies on and on. Always nice to have a few different styles of headphones to change around with different music. And really the newer Sr60x, sr80x are not that expensive for the new people just starting out.

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #60,000 of 66,245

We've achieved our goal of misleading the masses into buying these crappy headphones for more than 10 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Our work is done here.

Time to move on and promote...err...I don't know. How about Bose? I'll create the Bose Fan Club! thread. See you guys over there.
True story.
Way back about three years ago, early on in the pandemic, my Bose something or others fried a circuit. I also had some cheap Sony something or others that had been left behind at the office, which I couldn't get to for who knows how long.

So for a couple weeks I was using the stereo at home, A LOT. What else was I supposed to do? Read? Exercise? Better myself?

Sra Dinero instructed me to get some new headphones. If only she knew :)

I did what any normal red blooded American would so. I asked the folks on the Grateful Dead forum what headphones they liked. The name Grado came up a lot. Some googling led me to Head-Fi; and to the pre-order for The Hemps. A Hemp headphone for $420?! I must have it. Then I needed some "starter Grados" while I waited for my Hemps. And I needed some closed backs for early in the morning when Sra Dinero was still sleeping. And oh hey, those look cool too. And those, and those . . . and here I am now with way too damn many headphones. All thanks to my Bose something or others that fried early on in a pandemic.

It was destiny 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back