Grado Fan Club!
Mar 18, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #59,371 of 65,790
I know this may not be the forum to receive unbiased answers :wink:, but i have a general question. Since there are undoubtedly many people here that have a lot of experience with many different headphones: how are the top of the line grados such as gs3000x etc. comparing to other manufacturers best headphones? Are they able to compete with the totl cans from others?
I went from GS1000x to LCD X 2021, exact same price point, and they are about equal. If I had to choose again I’d still go for LCD X. I do miss the PRAT of the 1000x’s but the bass and midrange of the LCD X is more to my preference. The treble of the 1000x was less extended but more natural to me and I miss that as well.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #59,372 of 65,790
I would love the GS3000X but I cannot cope with that thick fixed cable. I also want something maybe a little different, different signature, and an European brand. So I'm thinking of trying a Meze Elite or even the less liked Empyrean, as I believe on paper it could please me most not being as polite as the Elite.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #59,373 of 65,790
I would love the GS3000X but I cannot cope with that thick fixed cable. I also want something maybe a little different, different signature, and an European brand. So I'm thinking of trying a Meze Elite or even the less liked Empyrean, as I believe on paper it could please me most not being as polite as the Elite.
hahahah...I hear you...but that doesnt stop me from listening to it. For my taste I have to make much greater sacrifices in the construction quality...these earpads...and actually everything except the chassis...shouldnt be supposed to be like that with cans over 2K...but then again the sound is just amazing...

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #59,374 of 65,790
"Polite". Great word in describing my preference in headphones i.e. NOT polite. I returned my 109 pros as they were too polite for me. My Focal Clear OG's don't get much head time ... Too polite. My 6xx with the Custom Cans mod, have a bit of rumble and although smooth, they are not too polite. My Verum 1 MK2, although planar are definitely not polite. That's why I'm a big Grado fan. Not polite at all, and that's how they are, no apologies! Not for everyone tho. All thoughts are for me... YMMV

Leo

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #59,375 of 65,790
I went from GS1000x to LCD X 2021, exact same price point, and they are about equal. If I had to choose again I’d still go for LCD X. I do miss the PRAT of the 1000x’s but the bass and midrange of the LCD X is more to my preference. The treble of the 1000x was less extended but more natural to me and I miss that as well.
Bass of the gs3000x is actually really good. sure sub-bass seemes rolled-off but overall its really good...tight, nice texture, pretty satisfying...I am not a bass head and do not listen to alot of hip hop or techno or such over headphones but I do listen to a lot of music where quality bass lines are present like Jaco Pastorius, Rush etc.

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #59,376 of 65,790
"Polite". Great word in describing my preference in headphones i.e. NOT polite. I returned my 109 pros as they were too polite for me. My Focal Clear OG's don't get much head time ... Too polite. My 6xx with the Custom Cans mod, have a bit of rumble and although smooth, they are not too polite. My Verum 1 MK2, although planar are definitely not polite. That's why I'm a big Grado fan. Not polite at all, and that's how they are, no apologies! Not for everyone tho. All thoughts are for me... YMMV

Leo
It seems like you enjoy the gs3000x alot and you seem to have quite some knowledge about headphones/Grados. Would you have a suggestion for a nice amp/dac to pair the gs3000x with? Or what do Grados go well with in general? Would be much appreciated!

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #59,377 of 65,790
I usually wouldn’t comment on this because its very personal to people but regardless I think it might help someone with their decision.

I don’t mind the clamping pressure or the pads style/foam. Yes they are a departure from the uber soft pads I’ve had on the Audeze LCD 4, 1266 phi TC, focal utopia but it makes absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of the headphones.

If the pads are a huge part of why the Rs1x sound like they do and I’m sure they are, then why change. Once I got used to the fit of the headphones I haven’t really even noticed any comfort problems.

I’m happy with the build quality and style. I think they are handsome looking headphones.

97093F50-24E6-4CC9-82D1-989B63228C69.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #59,378 of 65,790
I usually wouldn’t comment on this because its very personal to people but regardless I think it might help someone with their decision.

I don’t mind the clamping pressure or the pads style/foam. Yes they are a departure from the uber soft pads I’ve had on the Audeze LCD 4, 1266 phi TC, focal utopia but it makes absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of the headphones.

If the pads are a huge part of why the Rs1x sound like they do and I’m sure they are, then why change. Also once I got used to the fit of the headphones I haven’t really even noticed any comfort problems.

Also I’m happy with the build quality and style. I think they are handsome looking headphones.

97093F50-24E6-4CC9-82D1-989B63228C69.jpeg
No I think you are right. I also see the sponge/foam pads as part of the sound so it doesn bother me at all. The style is also pretty cool, for sure. I go for the sound, so all good. But it just seems that the construction is very basic for that kinda money. But all good, its the sound I pay for!

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #59,379 of 65,790
It seems like you enjoy the gs3000x alot and you seem to have quite some knowledge about headphones/Grados. Would you have a suggestion for a nice amp/dac to pair the gs3000x with? Or what do Grados go well with in general? Would be much appreciated!
I love to have some tubes in front of my Grados. In my experience they get easily to harsh with this Topping, SMS, RME... Dac/Amps. I do have a Mytec Brooklyn which is ok with The Hemp, but the rest is better with Little Dot Mk1 (with Burson Vivid and Mullard) or - if you are from Germany even better- the Brocksieper Earmax Pro. (Don't know if the upgrade to the Silver Edition is worth, but the Pro has no problems at all with the Grados. Don't be shy to change tubes on the Earmax. I ended with Telefunken 801 and Reflektor 1974 !)
There are certainly other tube amps like Icon Audio, Micro Zotl and Feliks, Bottlehead S.E.X, Little Dot 9 and 4, but pay attention if the OTLs handle 32Ohm.

Mar 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #59,380 of 65,790
I love to have some tubes in front of my Grados. In my experience they get easily to harsh with this Topping, SMS, RME... Dac/Amps. I do have a Mytec Brooklyn which is ok with The Hemp, but the rest is better with Little Dot Mk1 (with Burson Vivid and Mullard) or - if you are from Germany even better- the Brocksieper Earmax Pro. (Don't know if the upgrade to the Silver Edition is worth, but the Pro has no problems at all with the Grados. Don't be shy to change tubes on the Earmax. I ended with Telefunken 801 and Reflektor 1974 !)
There are certainly other tube amps like Icon Audio, Micro Zotl and Feliks, Bottlehead S.E.X, Little Dot 9 and 4, but pay attention if the OTLs handle 32Ohm.
Awesome, thanks buddy, much appreciated! And greetings to Vienna-beautiful city : )

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #59,381 of 65,790
Bass of the gs3000x is actually really good. sure sub-bass seemes rolled-off but overall its really good...tight, nice texture, pretty satisfying...I am not a bass head and do not listen to alot of hip hop or techno or such over headphones but I do listen to a lot of music where quality bass lines are present like Jaco Pastorius, Rush etc.
The bass of the GS1000x is as you described, quite nice. I’d say even more textured and colorful then LCD X. Though even 225x’s extended lower in sub bass. Seems the G pads roll the sub bass off but they also add nice punch to kick and snare drums.

And it sounds like you either are or should be a bass player!

Mar 19, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #59,383 of 65,790
The bass of the GS1000x is as you described, quite nice. I’d say even more textured and colorful then LCD X. Though even 225x’s extended lower in sub bass. Seems the G pads roll the sub bass off but they also add nice punch to kick and snare drums.

And it sounds like you either are or should be a bass player!
Sounds nice! Way back I was playing guitar but if I would pick up an instrument again it would most definitely be the bass guitar! I love how it gives music its foundation and groove and good bass players and bass lines make music so much more enjoyable. Unfortunately often times the guitar seems to „shine“ more. Both are great instruments

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #59,384 of 65,790
Grado headphones are just as enjoyable as any other headphones.
I'm listening to my Grado GH2 (w/Grado G cushions) via Bricasti Design M3 / HeadAmo GS-X mk2 with pure listening pleasure.
You need to get some Beautiful Audio pads for those beautiful headphones. :gs1000smile:

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #59,385 of 65,790
Sounds nice! Way back I was playing guitar but if I would pick up an instrument again it would most definitely be the bass guitar! I love how it gives music its foundation and groove and good bass players and bass lines make music so much more enjoyable. Unfortunately often times the guitar seems to „shine“ more. Both are great instruments
If you haven’t check it out there’s a pretty cool all bass album by Lincoln Goines called The Art of the Bass Choir. Great quality recordings and there’s a cool tribute to Jaco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back