Grado Fan Club!
Mar 17, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #59,341 of 66,261
Did spent some time comparing DEKONI pads with original ones on GH2.
The difference is comparable to driving a sportscar and cruising with a 57 Chevi. Both make fun at the right time.
The GH2 has this typical direct in your face Grado-sound, fast , clear, merciless. He does this better tonal balanced than many other Grados. This being close to the music is what makes Grado great, but it can be tiring, because it needs your attention.
The Dekonis add some bass and deepth but mellow all the sharp ages from botton to top. It's more
"cosy ". That makes the GH2 possible for long background- listening. But pay attention, the change is more than expected and not only a question of comfort. So if you like your GH2 like they are, keep your fingers from Dekoni Velour.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #59,342 of 66,261
How much of a noticeable difference would it really be going from a Vali 2 to this? Is there any noise floor with the MKIII or MK9 with Grado's? Idk how "tubey" the MKIII or MK9 sounds and if the tubes actually make a difference in it. Seems like either wouldn't sound overly tubey and it would be on more of the neutral side when comparing to other tube amps but idk. Is the MK9 more tubey than the MKIII?
I didn't care for the Vali2 at all. I just found it very loud and clear. Nothing tubey at all and I was rolling some tubes. I gave it a few months and then moved on. The Little Dots certainly have a tubier sound (too much for some) and are a cheap experiment. They are one of the few tube amps that work well with efficient headphones, IME.

PS: On my MK9, if you pause the music and wind the volume around, there is hum. But where I listen, I never hear anything. Of course Grado's would likely be the most efficent headphones you would want to use. I tried my ibasso SR2's (16 Ohm's) and that didn't go as well.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #59,343 of 66,261
I didn't care for the Vali2 at all. I just found it very loud and clear. Nothing tubey at all and I was rolling some tubes. I gave it a few months and then moved on. The Little Dots certainly have a tubier sound (too much for some) and are a cheap experiment. They are one of the few tube amps that work well with efficient headphones, IME.

PS: On my MK9, if you pause the music and wind the volume around, there is hum. But where I listen, I never hear anything. Of course Grado's would likely be the most efficent headphones you would want to use. I tried my ibasso SR2's (16 Ohm's) and that didn't go as well.^^
^^ I’ll say! 🤣

Mar 18, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #59,344 of 66,261
I know this may not be the forum to receive unbiased answers :wink:, but i have a general question. Since there are undoubtedly many people here that have a lot of experience with many different headphones: how are the top of the line grados such as gs3000x etc. comparing to other manufacturers best headphones? Are they able to compete with the totl cans from others?

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #59,346 of 66,261
I know this may not be the forum to receive unbiased answers :wink:, but i have a general question. Since there are undoubtedly many people here that have a lot of experience with many different headphones: how are the top of the line grados such as gs3000x etc. comparing to other manufacturers best headphones? Are they able to compete with the totl cans from others?
Some people on hete have compared the GS3000X to headphones costing 2-3x as much and they prefer the GS3000X...

You do need to try them with your gears and ears

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #59,347 of 66,261
This question here in the Grado-thread is like walking to a Hells Angels clubhouse and ask, if japanese bikes aren't better than Harley Davidson.

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #59,348 of 66,261
This question here in the Grado-thread is like walking to a Hells Angels clubhouse and ask, if japanese bikes aren't better than Harley Davidson.
They are?

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #59,349 of 66,261
I was having almost whole series E in house like 2 years ago. I like PS500e the most but they had strange tiring factor, they just no listenable when you want listen loud. RS2e was fine but not having that real deep bass what i lookin for. SR80e for price were very much ok. Listening Grados beside something like D8000 its hard to justify thier buying. Just my point of view. I just want to listen Ps2000e, i have no intrest for others in line.

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #59,350 of 66,261
Well...I have at hand for comparsion the 1266TC, a ZMF VO, an LCD3 (actual version), Raal SR-1b...it depends I think. If you looking for effects and hi-fi kung-fu maybe not. The soundstage and vocal presentation is actaully on pair with the very best. But all of the others (maybe the SR1b not) has more bass, so in terms of hi-fi it is a bit hard to answer it.

But I keep reaching for it more often, because it is much more alive then the others. It is very fast, dynamic, conveys the emotion like no other. It is a Grado and till you haven't heard it is just words...it is not for everyone but for me it definitely belongs to the bests.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #59,351 of 66,261
Short answer yes.

Long answer you will have to try for yourself against other headphones.
The Grados are lightweight and can scale well with different amps.
One downside is the cable.
What he said!

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #59,352 of 66,261
Haha…what I thought..but from what I read in this forum there are many grado enthusiasts that also own plenty of other great cans

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #59,353 of 66,261
Well...I have at hand for comparsion the 1266TC, a ZMF VO, an LCD3 (actual version), Raal SR-1b...it depends I think. If you looking for effects and hi-fi kung-fu maybe not. The soundstage and vocal presentation is actaully on pair with the very best. But all of the others (maybe the SR1b not) has more bass, so in terms of hi-fi it is a bit hard to answer it.

But I keep reaching for it more often, because it is much more alive then the others. It is very fast, dynamic, conveys the emotion like no other. It is a Grado and till you haven't heard it is just words...it is not for everyone but for me it definitely belongs to the bests.
What he said!!

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #59,354 of 66,261
I was having almost whole series E in house like 2 years ago. I like PS500e the most but they had strange tiring factor, they just no listenable when you want listen loud. RS2e was fine but not having that real deep bass what i lookin for. SR80e for price were very much ok. Listening Grados beside something like D8000 its hard to justify thier buying. Just my point of view. I just want to listen Ps2000e, i have no intrest for others in line.
So you would say the grado‘s couldn’t hold a candle to something like the final audio?

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #59,355 of 66,261
Some people on hete have compared the GS3000X to headphones costing 2-3x as much and they prefer the GS3000X...

You do need to try them with your gears and ears
I mean it goes back a little to how much of a difference one can even hear between lets say 1,2,3 or 6K headphones. I mean, guess this is the wrong place for that discussion haha..but I do think this is a game of great diminishing returns. I was just wondering if grados can kinda keep up some other totl cans since I don’t have the knowledge to really tell…besides hearing if the treble is rolled off or the soundstage is big

Users who are viewing this thread

Back