Grado Fan Club!
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #59,356 of 65,841
So you would say the grado‘s couldn’t hold a candle to something like the final audio?
For me they can't. Thats way i dont have any of them anymore. I was having SR80e, SR225e, RS2e, PS500e and GS1000e. I liked RS2e for timbre, PS500e for bass. GS1000e pretty much useless but good space and timbre. I end with them and just buy D8000 and Master 1 second time right now. Selling them year ago was a mistake. But i have them back :wink:

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #59,357 of 65,841
Some people on hete have compared the GS3000X to headphones costing 2-3x as much and they prefer the GS3000X...

You do need to try them with your gears and ears

Last week I visited a showroom of a famous headphone brand and tried almost all of their models with my phone and with a hi-end amp. I came home thinking that my Grados were a heavy bargain, even the RS2x (i prefere it then a 3x more expensive one), let alone the previous ones like the 325x and below. I left with the feeling that I have a treasure trove of headphones in my home. In this case my grass got much greener and my love for Grado even bigger. :)

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #59,358 of 65,841
Last week I visited a showroom of a famous headphone brand and tried almost all of their models with my phone and with a hi-end amp. I came home thinking that my Grados^^ were a heavy bargain, even the RS2x (i prefere it then a 3x more expensive one), let alone the previous ones like the 325x and below. I left with the feeling that I have a treasure trove of headphones in my home. In this case my grass got much greener and my love for Grado even bigger. :)
^^ besides RS-2x, which are they? [You do not have anything noted in ‘signature’ 🤷🏻‍♂️]

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #59,359 of 65,841
I mean it goes back a little to how much of a difference one can even hear between lets say 1,2,3 or 6K headphones. I mean, guess this is the wrong place for that discussion haha..but I do think this is a game of great diminishing returns. I was just wondering if grados can kinda keep up some other totl cans since I don’t have the knowledge to really tell…besides hearing if the treble is rolled off or the soundstage is big
I don't have any TOTL headphones, I have many mid-tier. I love my GS1000 and suspect I would worship the GS1000X or GS3000X...

I rotate between my Drop Aeon Closed, Audeze LCD-2C, SR325X, GS1000, and RS2X.

All of them have their niches, but I will say I spend 60% of my listening with a Grado.

NOTHING plays AC/DC quite like the SR325X...

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #59,360 of 65,841
^^ besides RS-2x, which are they? [You do not have anything noted in ‘signature’ 🤷🏻‍♂️]

Oh, just the SR80x. Separation, bass quality, energy and so much fun. So much personality, in sound and design wise.

Grado looks like it's was handmade with great care in all it's aspects. Sorry to sound like a fan, but that's how I felt.

I need to learn how to edit the signature section. :wink:

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #59,361 of 65,841
Oh, just the SR80x. Separation, bass quality, energy and so much fun. So much personality, in sound and design wise.

Grado looks like it's was handmade with great care in all it's aspects. Sorry to sound like a fan, but that's how I felt.

I need to learn how to edit the signature section. :wink:
To be honest, that is one thing I am very disappointed about. I got a nice grado and love the sound but the finishes (except the Cocobolo housings) look kinda line DIY…

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #59,362 of 65,841
Haha…what I thought..but from what I read in this forum there are many grado enthusiasts that also own plenty of other great cans

I own other brands of headphones but respect Grado’s for what they are.
Another thing one could own every model of Grados range and it would still be cheaper than some other manufacturers top of the line flavour of the month model.

I mean prices have gone completely crazy. $10000+ for iems .
$7500 for a iem cable
$12000 for a headphone that looks like a tarted up Grado.
I mean it’s madness.

Each to there own I suppose.

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #59,363 of 65,841
Well...I have at hand for comparsion the 1266TC, a ZMF VO, an LCD3 (actual version), Raal SR-1b...it depends I think. If you looking for effects and hi-fi kung-fu maybe not. The soundstage and vocal presentation is actaully on pair with the very best. But all of the others (maybe the SR1b not) has more bass, so in terms of hi-fi it is a bit hard to answer it.

But I keep reaching for it more often, because it is much more alive then the others. It is very fast, dynamic, conveys the emotion like no other. It is a Grado and till you haven't heard it is just words...it is not for everyone but for me it definitely belongs to the bests.
Yeah I come from speakers so haven’t tried out that many headphones yet. So far I spent quite some time with the hd800s, oppo pm2 a few years back, and the audeze lcd2… I like the gs3000x a lot. As you said, sounds very airy and alive. Just asking myself how it would stack up against some others….

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #59,364 of 65,841
I own other brands of headphones but respect Grado’s for what they are.
Another thing one could own every model of Grados range and it would still be cheaper than some other manufacturers top of the line flavour of the month model.

I mean prices have gone completely crazy. $10000+ for iems .
$7500 for a iem cable
$12000 for a headphone that looks like a tarted up Grado.
I mean it’s madness.

Each to there own I suppose.
True! And yeah, prices are going nuts. So many headphones blew that cost over like 3k

Mar 18, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #59,365 of 65,841
NOTHING plays AC/DC quite like the SR325X...

Learning the Truth from the Masters. :dt880smile:

IMG_5263.jpg

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #59,366 of 65,841
I mean it goes back a little to how much of a difference one can even hear between lets say 1,2,3 or 6K headphones. I mean, guess this is the wrong place for that discussion haha..but I do think this is a game of great diminishing returns. I was just wondering if grados can kinda keep up some other totl cans since I don’t have the knowledge to really tell…besides hearing if the treble is rolled off or the soundstage is big
I can tell you that for me, there is no better headphone than the GS3000x. Keep in mind that the Grado sound isn't for everyone. For me, they are everything I want in a headphone. Timbre is great. Bass substantial without be bloated. Treble sparkles and sound stage is substantive. I've tried other Totl headphones and they just aren't for me. I can say that if you like Grados, you will like, and possibly adore the 3000x.

Leo

Mar 18, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #59,367 of 65,841
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #59,368 of 65,841
I can tell you that for me, there is no better headphone than the GS3000x. Keep in mind that the Grado sound isn't for everyone. For me, they are everything I want in a headphone. Timbre is great. Bass substantial without be bloated. Treble sparkles and sound stage is substantive. I've tried other Totl headphones and they just aren't for me. I can say that if you like Grados, you will like, and possibly adore the 3000x.

Leo
It is indeed a beautiful sounding headphone. Very different from others I heard so far. Do you have any amp suggestions for it?

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #59,369 of 65,841
I know this may not be the forum to receive unbiased answers :wink:, but i have a general question. Since there are undoubtedly many people here that have a lot of experience with many different headphones: how are the top of the line grados such as gs3000x etc. comparing to other manufacturers best headphones? Are they able to compete with the totl cans from others?
I went from GS1000x to LCD X 2021, exact same price point, and they are about equal. If I had to choose again I’d still go for LCD X. I do miss the PRAT of the 1000x’s but the bass and midrange of the LCD X is more to my preference. The treble of the 1000x was less extended but more natural to me and I miss that as well.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #59,370 of 65,841
I would love the GS3000X but I cannot cope with that thick fixed cable. I also want something maybe a little different, different signature, and an European brand. So I'm thinking of trying a Meze Elite or even the less liked Empyrean, as I believe on paper it could please me most not being as polite as the Elite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back