Grado Fan Club!
Feb 18, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #58,966 of 65,586
Oh WOW! The legendary GP4DO Si Nature HP000 :wink:

:)
Haha.

There is one for sale right now in the classifieds (well, the successor, the HP1000, which was not as good as the HP000).

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #58,967 of 65,586
Hi. Can anybody comment on the GS1000e? I haven’t liked any of the models with the x driver and have a chance to pick up a new set of these.

Also, I am curious about other’s experiences with the G cushions. I bought a pair of the Geekria G cushions to try with my 325e (and did not like them). However, looking at pictures on Grado’s website it looks like the OEM versions are deeper (meaning more bowl shaped on the inside). Can anybody confirm or comment?

Thank you.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #58,968 of 65,586
Hi. Can anybody comment on the GS1000e? I haven’t liked any of the models with the x driver and have a chance to pick up a new set of these.

Also, I am curious about other’s experiences with the G cushions. I bought a pair of the Geekria G cushions to try with my 325e (and did not like them). However, looking at pictures on Grado’s website it looks like the OEM versions are deeper (meaning more bowl shaped on the inside). Can anybody confirm or comment?

Thank you.

My comment is I truly dislike GS1000e sound. Too bright and thin sounding when use the standard pad.

It's sound ok with Beautiful Pad though.

Of course ymmv.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #58,969 of 65,586
I've had the original GS1000e since they were first released, and love them however, it's taken time to find an amp match and proper EQ curve.

I push the low low end quite a bit, and most desktop or lower-end amps can't hang - they clip very quickly. Don't let the impedance fool you, these suckers need real power to sing. They're gonna sound not great on cheap gear. But with true power and rounded out lower end, maybe pulling some of the mid-highs, they can sound pretty sweet and the staging is pretty phenomenal (but you gotta have the gear to stage - a lot of $1000 and under gear won't show you what these can do, period).

I don't know about the later models though - I saw some closeout pricing at around $900 for them, but I don't think they're the same as the originals - updated drivers, but I can't recall. I will probably go with something that has a bit more low end - it's there with these when driven right, but...I don't want to boom and shake (hate that nonsense) but I do want it to be there without so much effort.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #58,970 of 65,586

Thank you.
The earlier GS1000 series up to and including the e series have never been a model that I liked or would want to have.

Although I only had a GS1000x on loan for less than a week that initial listening convinced me I would enjoy the current one. It reflects what I hear on my GS3000x which I like very much but to a lesser degree on the GS1000x in line with the price difference between them ($800).

I still like my GS3000e but really feel that having the 3000x is the better one for my ears. I am thinking that the GS3000e will be looking for a new home sometime soon especially since I am still trimming down my gear. (Too Much Good Stuff).

My thoughts are just that, my thoughts & opinion.

The main shared opinion is to make yourself happy with what you like best in whatever price range you’re comfortable with.

Only one requirement in my thoughts is:

ENJOY THAT MUSIC!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #58,971 of 65,586

Thank you.

The Geekria G pads are nowhere near the original G pads and sound very different.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #58,972 of 65,586

Thank you.
The Geekria G cushions are about the same diameter but noticeably shallower. They "pull" the cups closer to your ears, for a little more of that RAHHHHHHH FRONT ROW! feeling that comes with the on-ears.

I really like those pads with my PS1000. It's a heavy headphone, and I never felt like I was getting a good fit and seal with the regular G cushions having all that weight suspended out beyond the side of my head. The Geekria cushions feel more "locked in". Moment of inertia, or something.

I also have a GS1000i, and those are perfect for the Grado G cushions. They are very lightweight, so they sort of feel like they just float alongside your head and have a cool "spaciousness" to their sound. Like if you leave the front row and head towards the back of the venue to chill out while that gummy kicks in.

The 325e (I have one of those too) is a super forward, aggressive sound. You're not in the front row anymore, you're the drummer. Any G cushion probably takes some of that away. (For some people that's probably a relief 😜) But if that's why you like them in the first place . . .

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #58,973 of 65,586
The Geekria G cushions are about the same diameter but noticeably shallower. They "pull" the cups closer to your ears, for a little more of that RAHHHHHHH FRONT ROW! feeling that comes with the on-ears.
In general these are very forward cans, no question. As noted, you can affect that slightly with the cups. But still forward.

I enjoyed them with the warmer sound of the MHA50 which does surprisingly have a classic McIntosh sound to it. Recessed the sound stage a touch, but still nothing like, say, an HD6xx can would which is more recessed.

But the high-end rendering is exceptional. Subtleties in amp/ DAC and combos are really well rendered. For example, an EF-400 R2R DAC + Lyr+ w/ a Tung Sol tube renders a color, texture, and life to the bassline on Last Train to London (ELO) that I can't replicate with any other combination. When I use the Lyr+ as a preamp to a Soloist 3XP, it warms up a little though I swap out tubes and staging changes. Subtle issues with recordings can be annoying actually, because the balanced drivers do a superb job of rendering those source flaws - to the point some things sound crooked in a way that I simply can't listen to.

I would say if you don't want or like a forward stage, this may not be the way to go. Depth is there for sure, but for example w/ the EF-400/ Lyr+ combo, there isn't much at all. The Bifrost/ Burson combo, entirely different story. They have their character, but also do what they're told within that starting point.

Vocals, acoustic jazz such as Cafe Blue for example, are outstanding - front row seats, but still depth. Maybe even closer than that. Big symphony halls render big - both wide and deep, so it's there...and can sound a bit more recessed. In fact, some symphonic recordings are too recessed, w/ too much hall/ reverb mixed into the masters. The GS1000e makes those sound just outstanding to me, because the result is spacious wide and has lots of characters. You can hear that the EF400 R2R renders string vibrato inside the violin section, individually whereas I put that through the Bifrost and I get a little more depth so that vibrato doesn't stand out as much.

If you have different setups and can switch around based on preferences - I love them w/ EDM, for example - you might enjoy them. If that sort of thing is more annoying, and you find you want a single can to sound pretty good on wildly diverse things, you may have trouble finding a combo that works. My McIntosh did a better of job forgiveness with such things, but the Lyr+...there are some things that just render too well and come out completley off, and require reverse RIAA compensation for example (Toto The Seventh one, great recording, but I have to change everything to really enjoy it when coming from something like the latest TOOL release).

Speaking of which, guitars can be quite enjoyable here - w/ the Lyr+ and right tube, they bite and claw and scratch - that's the Lyr+ rendering - but the Grado is right there to show you what the Lyr+ is doing.

Bass is there, can be boxy without some adjustment, and won't be overpowering. Serious power required if you want kick. Some tubes + Burson will do that, but it's the only combo I've personally owned where they sounded dynamic. They aren't going to slam like others.

Hope that helps - and I hope if you venture down that path, you find it to be the same. This is obviously my take, and my hearing and listening is I think a bit different. I grew up in pursuit of concert piano, and had that opportunity in my 20s so I'm a little obsessed with timbre...not everyone is, or cares.

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #58,974 of 65,586
Bought some new cables for some of my cans, and a pair of Grado GS1000 replacement earpads for my GS1000im they're a little smaller than stock ones, but feels comfortable and doesn't seem to affect the sound....
YPiljuU.jpg

Feb 19, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #58,977 of 65,586
That's the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000. love it, one of the cans in my permanent collection, along with the K812 Pro and GS1000i
have the K812 as well, the most over hated headphone. Theyre marvelous. Will check out Enigmaacoustics. The GS series of grados is really interesting, I wonder how different they are to the RS line. I put Dekoni G pads on my RS1e and while I got very boomy bass and great soundstage and comfort the details and treble took a huge hit. If they manage to keep that from happening on the GS line I might have to pick one up

Feb 19, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #58,978 of 65,586
I took a train from Copenhagen to Sønderborg, in order to hear the GH2. I needed to find out if GH2 is really better than GH4.
the answer is ...... No.
GH2 is more a V shaped headphone. there is a little mid to high bass elevation resorting a little recession in the mid, and then pick up at the low treble, slightly less in the high high. A little bit colder too. all in comparison to the GH4. yes, they sounds like sisters very similar .
Everyone can say whatever they want to say, but you have to hear yourself.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #58,979 of 65,586
I took a train from Copenhagen to Sønderborg, in order to hear the GH2. I needed to find out if GH2 is really better than GH4.
the answer is ...... No.
GH2 is more a V shaped headphone. there is a little mid to high bass elevation resorting a little recession in the mid, and then pick up at the low treble, slightly less in the high high. A little bit colder too. all in comparison to the GH4. yes, they sounds like sisters very similar .
Everyone can say whatever they want to say, but you have to hear yourself.
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a comparison of all the GH headphones, probably because nobody owns all of them. But I've always been curious how my GH-1's stack up to the other GH models.

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #58,980 of 65,586
You know, I don't think I've ever seen a comparison of all the GH headphones, probably because nobody owns all of them. But I've always been curious how my GH-1's stack up to the other GH models.
If you haven't already seen this,

ruthieandjohn​

compares GH-1 with GH-2 and a few other Grado models.
check out Grado GH-1 Discussion, post #676. In there he finds
that the GH-1 very changed and to his ears very improved
with G Kush pads. Also see the comparison with GS1000i
and PS1000 in this thread, Post #32,105.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back