- GH1
- i-pod touch v2019 streaming Apple Music
- Cayin C9 as power amp

Attachments

• Grado.jpg
    Grado.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #58,939 of 65,719
Grado Hemp....If I may be BLUNT, these are DOPE! Definitely HI-fidelity.

Yes! DOPE these definitely are!!!
Yoda.gif

So, how would I know? Well, almost 2 weeks ago I visited a local HiFi shop. I went there because I was interested in a Quad Era-1 that I noticed on their site.

Although the Quad sounded really good imo, it also turned out to be uncomfortable for me. As they also had some Grado demo models over there, I thought 'Why not give them a try, while I'm here'. Btw, auditioning was done from a TEAC HA-501 amp, which I also happen to have at home.

So at first I tried the SR325, and although it certainly didn't sound bad to my ears, it also didn't 'WOW' me. After that I tried the RS2 which I had (and sold after some months) in the past. After some minutes of listening I remembered why I sold it... Just not my 'signature cup of tea' I guess. Then I noticed The Hemp and that one immediately put a big grin on my face, once the music started. TLDR: I thought it sounded great! :)

Now, as I posted yesterday, I still have a PS500 (original) over here, and I'm not totally sure if the Hemps signature would bring something completely new to the signature table compared to that one. But atm I'm seriously thinking about getting The Hemp as well, as I just can't get it out of my head. From memory: it had a full sound (incl. some good lows) and might even deliver (not totally sure though, as I couldn't A-B test that) more details than the PS500. Soundstage and imaging was also pretty impressive imo.

On the other side: after some research I also noticed some (used but almost new looking) GH2s in the EU, for about the same amount as a new Hemp. Can anyone, who has heard them both, please shine a light on the differences between the GH2 and Hemps (and which you preferred + why) signatures? Thanks in advance and happy listening!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #58,941 of 65,719
On the other side: after some research I also noticed some (used but almost new looking) GH2s in the EU, for about the same amount as a new Hemp. Can anyone, who has heard them both, please shine a light on the differences between the GH2 and Hemps (and which you preferred + why) signatures? Thanks in advance and happy listening!
Hemps are a little warmer and bassier, GH2 a little airier and more sparkly. The one I prefer is the one that is closer to me when I want to listen :)

The GH2 is arguably the most beautiful on ear Grado ever made. The Hemp is cool, but definitely has a more utilitarian look. If that is a consideration for you . . .

Also The Hemp is a standard model now that is going to be available, where the GH2 is limited, out of production model that is going to only get harder to find. If that is a consideration for you . . .

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #58,942 of 65,719
Hemps are a little warmer and bassier, GH2 a little airier and more sparkly. The one I prefer is the one that is closer to me when I want to listen :)

The GH2 is arguably the most beautiful on ear Grado ever made. The Hemp is cool, but definitely has a more utilitarian look. If that is a consideration for you . . .

Also The Hemp is a standard model now that is going to be available, where the GH2 is limited, out of production model that is going to only get harder to find. If that is a consideration for you . . .
This comparison is 🎯. I will say that if you can secure a GH2, keep Hemp if possible. They are complementary. ☑️

Feb 16, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #58,943 of 65,719
There are a few benefits to working from home: commute is the stairs, coffee pot / fridge is nearby, home study windows can be opened, weights / heavybag / speedbag are in garage port, AND ….
1886CB6A-E6C5-4666-8E51-8DB31AF7D7AD.jpeg
[PS, Violectric HPA V281 drives Hemp to incredible heights of sonic achievement!]

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #58,944 of 65,719

Hey Now! Hemp is indeed a great headphone. Just wanted to mention that even today, the Hemp is still listed as limited addition on the 4OurEars store...

Leo

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #58,945 of 65,719
There are a few benefits to working from home: commute is the stairs, coffee pot / fridge is nearby, home study windows can be opened, weights / heavybag / speedbag are in garage port, AND …. [PS, Violectric HPA V281 drives Hemp to incredible heights of sonic achievement!]
*sets status on Teams to 'Rocking' * 😜

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #58,946 of 65,719
There are a few benefits to working from home: commute is the stairs, coffee pot / fridge is nearby, home study windows can be opened, weights / heavybag / speedbag are in garage port, AND …. 1886CB6A-E6C5-4666-8E51-8DB31AF7D7AD.jpeg [PS, Violectric HPA V281 drives Hemp to incredible heights of sonic achievement!]
good combo...

GS1000i and old school Corda Arietta here... warm but also veiled...

May have to bust out the OTL...

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #58,947 of 65,719
Yes! DOPE these definitely are!!!
Yoda.gif

So, how would I know? Well, almost 2 weeks ago I visited a local HiFi shop. I went there because I was interested in a Quad Era-1 that I noticed on their site.

Although the Quad sounded really good imo, it also turned out to be uncomfortable for me. As they also had some Grado demo models over there, I thought 'Why not give them a try, while I'm here'. Btw, auditioning was done from a TEAC HA-501 amp, which I also happen to have at home.

So at first I tried the SR325, and although it certainly didn't sound bad to my ears, it also didn't 'WOW' me. After that I tried the RS2 which I had (and sold after some months) in the past. After some minutes of listening I remembered why I sold it... Just not my 'signature cup of tea' I guess. Then I noticed The Hemp and that one immediately put a big grin on my face, once the music started. TLDR: I thought it sounded great! :)

Now, as I posted yesterday, I still have a PS500 (original) over here, and I'm not totally sure if the Hemps signature would bring something completely new to the signature table compared to that one. But atm I'm seriously thinking about getting The Hemp as well, as I just can't get it out of my head. From memory: it had a full sound (incl. some good lows) and might even deliver (not totally sure though, as I couldn't A-B test that) more details than the PS500. Soundstage and imaging was also pretty impressive imo.

I would definitely go for the GH2. I have found that they have a broader Range and are drop dead beautiful.
I bought a pair of used Hemp's and they have a bit more bass, but less range, IMO.
Little bit of trivia: I use Beautiful Audio pads and if you put them on the Hemps the difference in sound is Much less.

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #58,948 of 65,719
Feb 16, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #58,949 of 65,719
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #58,950 of 65,719
I've have not been on the site for a while (satisfied with what I've got). In a nutshell, what's the deal with the X series? Do people like them (compared to the e series)?

Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back