Grado Fan Club!
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #58,951 of 65,587
I've have not been on the site for a while (satisfied with what I've got). In a nutshell, what's the deal with the X series? Do people like them (compared to the e series)?

Just curious.
I really like the SR325X a lot better than SR325E

I also like the RS2X better than the RS2E

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #58,952 of 65,587
I really like the SR325X a lit better than SR325E

I also like the RS2X better than the RS2E

Good to know that Grado didn't drop the ball.

How is the RS2x different than the RS2e?

Just in case my RS2e goes up in flames one day and I need to replace it right away. :relieved:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #58,953 of 65,587
Good to know that Grado didn't drop the ball.

How is the RS2x different than the RS2e?

Just in case my RS2e goes up in flames one day and I need to replace it right away. :relieved:
To my ears, the RS2X has nice but still controlled bass. Good soundstage and doesn't make my eyes pop out when highs hit.

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #58,954 of 65,587
I've have not been on the site for a while (satisfied with what I've got). In a nutshell, what's the deal with the X series? Do people like them (compared to the e series)?

Just curious.
Welcome back!

My impression is: If you're happy with your current dac/amp/Grado setup then you don't need the Xs. The Xs seem to make it a little more easy to get an "edible" sound for Grado newcomers while sacrificing the Grado "treble magic".

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #58,955 of 65,587

Just curious.
Generally the x series is a slight move towards warmer and bassier and somewhat less airy and sparkly. Sort of continuing along the trend of The Hemp. Some folks like that tuning better, some dont.

I, for one, love my RS1x. I could be content if it was my only Grado. (I guess? :wink:

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #58,956 of 65,587
Hemps are a little warmer and bassier, GH2 a little airier and more sparkly. The one I prefer is the one that is closer to me when I want to listen :)

The GH2 is arguably the most beautiful on ear Grado ever made. The Hemp is cool, but definitely has a more utilitarian look. If that is a consideration for you . . .

Also The Hemp is a standard model now that is going to be available, where the GH2 is limited, out of production model that is going to only get harder to find. If that is a consideration for you

This comparison is 🎯. I will say that if you can secure a GH2, keep Hemp if possible. They are complementary. ☑️

I would definitely go for the GH2. I have found that they have a broader Range and are drop dead beautiful.
I bought a pair of used Hemp's and they have a bit more bass, but less range, IMO.
Little bit of trivia: I use Beautiful Audio pads and if you put them on the Hemps the difference in sound is Much less.

Thanks for all the above advise :thumbsup:

I've just pulled the trigger on a (quite good, almost new looking) GH2. I will post pics (or else it didn't happen, right?:sweat_smile:) and impressions later on, once it has arrived. I figured that I could always get me a Hemp later on indeed, as these are still very easy to find.

And if I should not like the GH2 signature, then it will find its way to the classifieds later on this year :)

Feb 17, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #58,957 of 65,587
I believe I have the "Prototype" for the X series (The Hemp) and one of the hardcore treble school (325i Gold) and honestly love them both! I usually grab them depending on my mood or for example if I need more bass presence (Hemp), or a much "cleaner" sound (325i).

I guess one doesn't have to be a particular fan of one type of Grado variant. The cool part is that I can look for some cheaper opportunities regarding the old school sound search, while still aiming for some pristine, new toy as a first user. Just pick your poison taking into account preference and budget. That is what fascinates me with Grado. You can get excited and fulfilled with a few hundred Euros spent.

No Aristocracy or Private Exclusive Club Lounge brand looks, like many around. And the cool part is that when you compare them to some of the competition, many times at different price levels, they hold their ground big time in what really matters, SQ.

Of course haters and people will usually pick on the comfort, build, visual evolve aspect of it. But let's face it, no brand or headphone is perfect and it all comes down about what one values the most when picking up cans.

For me it will always be about SQ and emotions first.

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #58,958 of 65,587
I would definitely go for the GH2. I have found that they have a broader Range and are drop dead beautiful.
I bought a pair of used Hemp's and they have a bit more bass, but less range, IMO.
Little bit of trivia: I use Beautiful Audio pads and if you put them on the Hemps the difference in sound is Much less.
I agree. Before there was Hemp, to my ears, the GH2 were the bassier Grado, but with more details than the Hemp, which on the other hand provides a bit more "slam". As mentioned previously, they compliment each other very well

Feb 17, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #58,959 of 65,587
Welcome back!

To the road to perdition? :L3000:

Well, glad to see you are still here (as well as TooFrank, Joaquin, Gippy and other Grado Fan Club long timers).

I, for one, love my RS1x.

Road to perdition indeed. Now thoughts of the RS1x are swirling in my head.

I went back to read some old post from around the last time I was in this thread (2021) and I came across a picture I posted of the 5 Grados I owned at the time. I saw a GH3 in the picture and I thought, "I owned a GH3"? I had completely forgotten.

I do remember that back in 2021 I was looking through the classified for a used RS1. But if I do buy an RS1 I would need to sell my beloved RS2e (my GH2 is NOT going anywhere) -- I don't think I could do that.

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #58,960 of 65,587
The GH2 is arguably the most beautiful on ear Grado ever made.

I think this is the most beautiful on ear wood Grado ever made:

11329311_thumb.jpg

And here is my attempt to recreate that model:

IMG_3806.jpg

Finally, here are the most beautiful on ear Grado headphones ever made (IMO):

63566.jpg

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #58,961 of 65,587
20-20,000 is the range of human hearing and anything above ~14,000 is gonna be barely audible "air" type sounds. Below 20Hz you're going to be just feeling a rumble, not hearing a tone. On either end of the spectrum literally no normal music (read: music that's not intentionally trying to be weird) goes there. I'm not discounting that they sound better but there is genuinely no one who can hear anything above 20KHz.
I agree
My age related hearing limit is 12 kHz. I don't even think I could hear to 20 kHz when I was a teenager.
> 9 kHz, only percussion overtones are present in the music
42 Hz, lowest note of a bass guitar
< 60 Hz appreciable content, only in EDM

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #58,962 of 65,587
Thanks for all the above advise :thumbsup:

I've just pulled the trigger on a (quite good, almost new looking) GH2. I will post pics (or else it didn't happen, right?:sweat_smile:) and impressions later on, once it has arrived. I figured that I could always get me a Hemp later on indeed, as these are still very easy to find.

And if I should not like the GH2 signature, then it will find its way to the classifieds later on this year :)
Congrats on the purchase!
The GH2's, to me, have the best mids and above out there. The bass is adequate, but not strong. Does well with a warm amp and once in a while bass boost is fun. The oldest headphone in my collection at over four years old. And they are Never leaving! :L3000:

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #58,963 of 65,587
684F424C-84CF-492A-BA4B-F6A476AFD20D.jpeg

What is this model? Never seen.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #58,964 of 65,587
It is an RS1 prototype from back in the day.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #58,965 of 65,587
Finally, here are the most beautiful on ear Grado headphones ever made (IMO):
Oh WOW! The legendary GP4DO Si Nature HP000 :wink:

I also just went down memory lane and found one of my older Grado posts (+ pic from 2015) over here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/page-1754#post-11756253

Not long after that my focus / interest moved to IEMs, but the past few weeks I mainly listened with headphones again...
Btw, before the RS2 and PS500 I also had a GS1000 (original), which especially had a superb soundstage imho.
GS1000.jpg

But I certainly haven't heard as many Grado's as some of you fan(atic)s over here. Working on that though with an incomming GH2 and probably later on this year (audio budget is a bit tight now) The Hemp :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back