Grado Fan Club!
Feb 12, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #58,876 of 65,796
Feb 13, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #58,879 of 65,796
RS2x with F cushions is about as neutral a Grado can get short of a HP1000, will be very technically proficient and have excellent timbre but the sound stage and perhaps comfort will suffer with F cushions.

Grado RS2X (F cushions)
upload_2022-1-15_23-33-1.png

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #58,880 of 65,796
Hello All.

New to Head-Fi and just getting into the world of high-end headphones. At present most of my musical consumption is a combination of streaming and and analog (records) powered through a Marrantz 2270. I have used headphones on it, but I am not necessarily a judge of whether this is the best solution going forward for over ear or on ear listening. Looking for a couple recommendations and thoughts to the following.

1. Interested in Grados, but what models should I be considering? I have read reviews on most of the RS, GS, and PS line, and monitor the classifieds, but some suggestions would be helpful. Musical listening styles (Rock, Soul, Reggae, Latin, Jazz, Vocal Jazz, Orchestral and Solo Instrumental)
2. Do I need to be considering adding in a independent Headphone Amp into my chain?

Feb 13, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #58,881 of 65,796
Hello All.

New to Head-Fi and just getting into the world of high-end headphones. At present most of my musical consumption is a combination of streaming and and analog (records) powered through a Marrantz 2270. I have used headphones on it, but I am not necessarily a judge of whether this is the best solution going forward for over ear or on ear listening. Looking for a couple recommendations and thoughts to the following.

1. Interested in Grados, but what models should I be considering? I have read reviews on most of the RS, GS, and PS line, and monitor the classifieds, but some suggestions would be helpful. Musical listening styles (Rock, Soul, Reggae, Latin, Jazz, Vocal Jazz, Orchestral and Solo Instrumental)
2. Do I need to be considering adding in a independent Headphone Amp into my chain?

My advice is try and audition some Grado models at a dealer if you can?

I see you use a vintage receiver so you like a warmer type of sound.
I would therefore keep away from ch-fi amps .
Maybe look at Schiit,IFi and Chord Mojo as they’re on the warmer side .

If you can’t audition any models try buying second hand SR60-125.
This is to get a taste of the Grado sound.
You can mod these if you’re handy?
Have a look on the modded Grado thread.

If you’re streaming from a computer or phone check out the vast range of dongle dac/amps that are available.
Grado’s don’t need a lot of power.
Even a apple dongle will power them.

Simple dongle dac/amps and a set of Grados can bring happiness.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #58,882 of 65,796
My advice is try and audition some Grado models at a dealer if you can?

I see you use a vintage receiver so you like a warmer type of sound.
I would therefore keep away from ch-fi amps .
Maybe look at Schiit,IFi and Chord Mojo as they’re on the warmer side .

If you can’t audition any models try buying second hand SR60-125.
This is to get a taste of the Grado sound.
You can mod these if you’re handy?
Have a look on the modded Grado thread.

If you’re streaming from a computer or phone check out the vast range of dongle dac/amps that are available.
Grado’s don’t need a lot of power.
Even a apple dongle will power them.

Simple dongle dac/amps and a set of Grados can bring happiness.
Thank you for the information. Really appreciate the community feedback, and yes I guess one would say I trend towards a warmer sound in my listening preferences.

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #58,883 of 65,796
Hello All.

You can always try the headphone out of the amp, the impedance may be higher, but it may warm up the sound (more bass, but less accurate bass).

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #58,884 of 65,796
I still feel the same about mine…

Perhaps you should sell the 325e and fill the gap with a different Grado. The SR325x certainly brings a different take on the sound with fuller more detailed bass and and a refined mids through highs at a similar price range (IMHO).

If you think to get tempted I feel both the RS2x and especially the RS1x are sonically from a different pallet and are very open and spacious and better bass again. I feel the RS1x has been a real crowd pleaser and has tempted quite a number as first Grado purchases dive right in to the new detail and imaging. They do take more playtime to get to their true abilities. As a believer of break in on certain gear (based on 30+ years in retail audio).

Safe gamble should you ever decide to replace your 325e. Should you not fall in love you would have no problem getting most of your money back if you sold them.

Loved your post David…
The RS2e in your attached image looks very similar to RS2X, was it custom-built?

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #58,885 of 65,796
Listening some good ole Grateful Dead (Dave's Picks 45) with my GS3000x and having a great evening as I sip some wine. Highly recommend.......

Leo

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #58,889 of 65,796
RS2x with F cushions is about as neutral a Grado can get short of a HP1000, will be very technically proficient and have excellent timbre but the sound stage and perhaps comfort will suffer with F cushions.

Grado RS2X (F cushions)
upload_2022-1-15_23-33-1.png
Last night i put my Hemps F-pads to my RS2x. To me comfort is better with F-cushions. Did not listened very much but my first quick impressions:
Sound stage took a hit with F-cushions; airiness suffered, and 3D imaging also.
Sound came "closer" and dropped down more between ears.
But RS2x is more neutral with F-cushions, agreed. Smoother, sibilance is more relaxed. Bass raises a bit, but not a bad way i think.

I think i continue experiment, i leave F-cushions on RS2x for a while. Maybe i also test Hemps with RS2x's L-cushions

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #58,890 of 65,796
Last night i put my Hemps F-pads to my RS2x. To me comfort is better with F-cushions. Did not listened very much but my first quick impressions:
Sound stage took a hit with F-cushions; airiness suffered, and 3D imaging also.
Sound came "closer" and dropped down more between ears.
But RS2x is more neutral with F-cushions, agreed. Smoother, sibilance is more relaxed. Bass raises a bit, but not a bad way i think.

I think i continue experiment, i leave F-cushions on RS2x for a while. Maybe i also test Hemps with RS2x's L-cushions
are the hemps neutral? theyll cost quite bit less than the ps500 i was considering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back