Grado Fan Club!
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #58,066 of 66,226
Thank you for that. Forgot to mention Instrument separations as well. As much as I love the Hemp, that is another feature that I would love to improve in my next Headphone.

Indeed I understand that the 3000x is in another class of its own but the question I would like to try and understand is that if it gives you that sense of "magic" that Hemp does which makes you just want to listen more even if there is nothing great about it in terms of technicalities, very hard to explain. My IEM´s had twice the resolution and details but in all honesty I couldn't care less because despite not doing anything wrong at all, they seemed sort of "sterile" to me and I would simply feel a lack of emotions when listening to them. I apologize for my very poor selection of words to try and explain feelings, but I'm very far of being an audiophile! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Don’t forget, there’s also a lot you can do to change the sound signature of your Grados with pad rolling. Personally, I’m a fan of the Dekoni velours on my RS-1e, but Dekoni offers 3 different models, each with its own flavor. Then there are the Beautiful Audio pads that many seem to love, while others insist that stock is the only way to go, plus, plus, plus…

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #58,068 of 66,226
I actually store the RS-1x with the F-pads in a Grado ‘medium’ clamshell case. The Dekonis are stored in their box. I use the Dekonis about 1/2 the time that I use RS-1x.
Makes sense. i leave mine on all the time, so I just ordered a generic hard case from Amazon. Hopefully it’ll do the trick. Otherwise, easy enough to return. Meanwhile, knowing me, I’ll probably end up selling them to buy a pair of GS3000x like @Luckyleo before it gets here.

💸💸💸

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #58,069 of 66,226
I like Jonathan also store a majority of my best phones in hard cases. Usually camera style with inner foam, Amazon for less than $30. All my Grados and electrostatics get that treatment along with the old classics I have. Lots of boxes 📦 oh my…………

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #58,070 of 66,226
I have a couple of questions for all you grado fans out there.

I just sold my Campfire Holocene IEM. Great sounding IEM but I felt it lacked something, some soul. I was not excited by it like when I grab my Hemp. Anyway, I have a chance to grab s new pair of GR10e for 375€, which is not cheap for some "old" IEM´s (I think they were launched in 2015) but it is a "rare" opportunity since they are very hard to be found, at least in Europe. Not sure if it is a wise move. For sure, it will be made more with the heart (since I cannot test them first) than with logic.
For me personally, the GR10e is worth the price. However, you should not be expecting an in-ear Hemp. The GR10 has a more polite, balanced and smooth sound signature than Grado on-ear and over-ear models. I think the sound combined with the tiny size, light weight and amazing comfort combine to create a beautiful iem.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #58,071 of 66,226
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #58,072 of 66,226
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #58,073 of 66,226
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #58,074 of 66,226
We all like you! Why isn't that enough!? :p

Speak for yourself. 😝

Makes sense. i leave mine on all the time, so I just ordered a generic hard case from Amazon. Hopefully it’ll do the trick. Otherwise, east enough to return. Meanwhile, knowing me, I’ll probably end up selling them to buy a pair of GS3000x like @Luckyleo before it gets here.

💸💸💸

Hate to quote my own post, but I just want you to see, I don’t lie (and I don’t waste time):

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649911650-grado-rs-1e-extra-jumbo-cushions-superb/

Let me know if you think the price is wrong (don’t care if it’s too low, but let me know if I’m asking too much - you guys are all much more experienced buyers and sellers of Grado than I).

SALE PENDING on head-Fi BST. 😃

NSC

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #58,075 of 66,226
Thank you for that. Forgot to mention Instrument separations as well. As much as I love the Hemp, that is another feature that I would love to improve in my next Headphone.

Indeed I understand that the 3000x is in another class of its own but the question I would like to try and understand is that if it gives you that sense of "magic" that Hemp does which makes you just want to listen more even if there is nothing great about it in terms of technicalities, very hard to explain. My IEM´s had twice the resolution and details but in all honesty I couldn't care less because despite not doing anything wrong at all, they seemed sort of "sterile" to me and I would simply feel a lack of emotions when listening to them. I apologize for my very poor selection of words to try and explain feelings, but I'm very far of being an audiophile! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Airy and spacious sound with good imaging are among the the important performerance factors for me and well provided by my GS3000x. They are quite special but not cheap but in my opinion they are an excellent value.

Eventually with break in accomplished I will compare with my GS3000e and PS2000e. No rush, I want to get totally acclimated.

PS here is some thoughts from being in retail audio for over 30 years. “The answers are not always in the numbers or specs. I used to play a customer two different phono cartridges with identical numbers and they most often did not sound at all the same. Good to know but from my experience not the ultimate deciding factor in the sound you will hear and how you like it.

Just some personal experiences.

Enjoy the journey and trust your gut, it often knows what’s best.

PS my secret weapon (gauge) for sound is Bentley J. Smooch, my Maltese pup. He is super fussy so his thoughts are always a benefit.

Attachments

• B1AC4E18-29FC-44E4-8BB2-96E4660D1BA5.jpeg
    B1AC4E18-29FC-44E4-8BB2-96E4660D1BA5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 5E251D30-3FC7-42B6-B0A8-D2CE2A40FB34.jpeg
    5E251D30-3FC7-42B6-B0A8-D2CE2A40FB34.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #58,076 of 66,226
We all like you! Why isn't that enough!? :p

Humorous thread. :ksc75smile:

GS3000e might be on hold when I was loan this U-amp using KT170 power tubes yesterday. GH1 is not dead silent with no music playing with these big power tube amps but when the music starts, all very low level hums are gone and the sound is heavenly and explosive. That gold amp has no headphone out, so I'm listening through a speaker out cable.

IMG_5553.jpg

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #58,077 of 66,226
Airy and spacious sound with good imaging. They are quite special but not cheap but in my opinion they are an excellent value.

Eventually with break in accomplished I will compare with my GS3000e and PS2000e. No rush, I want to get totally acclimated.

PS here is some thoughts from being in retail audio for over 30 years. “The answers are not always in the numbers or specs. I used to play a customer two different phono cartridges with identical numbers and they most often did not sound at all the same. Good to know but from my experience not the ultimate deciding factor in the sound you will hear and how you like it.

Just some personal experiences.

Enjoy the journey and trust your gut, it often knows what’s best.
Looking forward to your comparison before I pull the trigger - they are both on my radar and high on my list.

Also, I agree with you 100% - measurements tell “a” story, but not “the” story.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #58,078 of 66,226
I have a couple of questions for all you grado fans out there.

I just sold my Campfire Holocene IEM. Great sounding IEM but I felt it lacked something, some soul. I was not excited by it like when I grab my Hemp.
You may want to consider a single dynamic driver IEM or Tribrid with a dynamic bass driver.
* Meze Rai Solo may be a good fit
* Fiio FH3
* Fiio FD3
* TruthEar Hexa has great reviews, but I have not heard it
The r1x seems interesting but the lack of bass compared to the Hemp worries me.
It worried me too, hence my decision to buy an RS2x

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #58,079 of 66,226
Thank you all for your answers. You have been very kind and helpful. I absolutely love this thread. Have read the last 300 pages, in the last month, would love to have the time to read more but it is almost an impossible task.

It is already very, very hard to test any quality gear in my Country / city, let alone niche brands like Grado. Plus the models I'm interested the most (limited editions, Professional or the latest releases) are not sold by Companies like Amazon here in the EU, so unless there is some issue with the unit, a "trial" period is rare to be given, especially in these price ranges. I have to rely on your experience, feelings and thoughts to make my decision based on my best gut feeling.

I took a gamble with the Hemp. Without any decent comparison unit or experience, I could only rely on my ears to understand if I liked what I was listening. And so I did, but thought that it was related to the audio quality improvement over the low quality I was used to. Then I got the even expense Campfire Holocene IEM (I bought it at half the retail price) and realized that it was not the case since I was listening to a good quality unit, more technical than the HEMP but without giving me the same emotions. So, my gut feeling regarding the Hemp was right after all. I guess just pure luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Now, having the Hemp as my reference, I take special attention to the comparisons to other models and from what I understood until now, the GH2 is a better Hemp version but, IMO, no enough or maybe to close to justify a 700€ investment. The P500e seems more like a side leap instead of a forward one, unless you value bass the most. Again, something too close to the Hemp to justify the investment. The P2000e seems really special but totally out of my budget new and used is still expensive and the lack of warranty scares me (see reason below).

All the older units (mostly on the used market), especially the e versions, kind of "scares" me for 2 reasons. First because in case of issues with it no more warranty and in all honesty I don't think there is even a Grado representation in my Country where to send it to. Second because the lack of bass, compared to the hemp and X line, kind of puzzles me if I would like the signature sound.

I am really curious about the RX1 and RX2, maybe even more the RX2 but once again I fear if the leap from the Hemp is clear enough to justify the purchase? It is not clear to me in the case of these models. Also it is my understanding that in terms of bass the RX1 is the one that resembles more to the old Grado sound.

Finally it comes down to the new 1000x and 3000x. Despite being curious about the 1000x, it is the one least discussed here and cannot find much information about it. So not sure where it stands. Plus, for just more 500€ we are in the 3000x domain where all reviews and opinions seem to be stellar and gives the idea that, despite not being cheap, it delivers above its price range. I honestly got excited by all of your "reviews" but a blind 2000€ investment is not something to be taken lightly (at least for me) and that is why it created me natural doubts if I shouldn't go a little "lower" in my expectations and "gamble" with something a little cheaper.

Sorry about the rumble but this new hobby of mine is sure not a cheap one and even worse, a guessing one in my case most of the time. I really envy all those of you that are able to test or try gear before deciding. That would make my life much simpler for sure!:dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back