Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #58,096 of 65,761
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #58,098 of 65,761
I don't object to links, but I don't use them. Up here in Canada Amazon.ca doesn't sell any nice audio gear past entry level.
I just like to soak up every review I can find and balance them out. All my buying is blind so I research relentlessly and then hope for the best. :smile:

That's just it. The shill sites are not a place where you are likely to find anything that is actually a review. In most cases the word soup is not even written by somebody who knows what a pair of headphones is. They just copy text from around the net and on the product page. scamazon has polluted the web to the point it is essentially useless.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #58,100 of 65,761
Alessandro Grados to me have always been a warmer take on the Grado sound signature.

I use Alessandro drivers in a custom pair of Grados .

I haven’t heard the MS Pro with the new X driver.
So can’t comment.
If I’m not mistaken these are cheaper than RS1X ?
Here in Finland RS1X is 999€, those Alessandro’s seems to cost 789€. Plus delivery?

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #58,101 of 65,761
That's just it. The shill sites are not a place where you are likely to find anything that is actually a review. In most cases the word soup is not even written by somebody who knows what a pair of headphones is. They just copy text from around the net and on the product page. scamazon has polluted the web to the point it is essentially useless.
Amazon must be different where you are. Here it is a convenience - competitive prices, one day delivery and easy, free returns. Yes, there is a ‘marketplace’ seller here or there that is way overpriced or otherwise out of line, but they’re few and far between and easily ignored.

I also feel as though we’ve had this very conversation before, it’s deja vu all over again…! 😂

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #58,103 of 65,761
I keep looking at the Grado Hemp. People seem to love these. The reviews are fantastic on them. The only thing that worries me is the build quality. I've read that a few people have actually had the cups fall off because the wire is so thick and heavy. The ear pads also don't comfortable at all. Apparently replacing the stock ones with the L cups is the way to go. Other than those downsides, they really do look fantastic. I don't think I've read one bad review about about the sound being dissapointing. They are also very easy to drive.

I can't decide between the Hemp, 900 Pro X, and the 660s. I'm not really an EQ person, but I do play around with it sometimes. I mostly listen to neo classical, ambient, and drone music. I will also listen to some electronic (not the bass heavy and EDM

Would the Hemp be a good choice for those genres and worth the extra cost compared to the other 2? I have never tried a pair of Grado's before

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #58,104 of 65,761
image.jpg

My daily grind.
Alessandro drivers in dark rose wood cups.
iPhone 13 mini in a cheap case Velcro and Chord Mojo 2.
Connected together with Fiio LT-1 cable.
No pops no hiss no static.
Pocketable and very nearly desktop quality.

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #58,105 of 65,761
I keep looking at the Grado Hemp. People seem to love these. The reviews are fantastic on them. The only thing that worries me is the build quality. I've read that a few people have actually had the cups fall off because the wire is so thick and heavy. The ear pads also don't comfortable at all. Apparently replacing the stock ones with the L cups is the way to go. Other than those downsides, they really do look fantastic. I don't think I've read one bad review about about the sound being dissapointing. They are also very easy to drive.

I can't decide between the Hemp, 900 Pro X, and the 660s. I'm not really an EQ person, but I do play around with it sometimes. I mostly listen to neo classical, ambient, and drone music. I will also listen to some electronic (not the bass heavy and EDM

Would the Hemp be a good choice for those genres and worth the extra cost compared to the other 2? I have never tried a pair of Grado's before
As far as I know, the cups were falling off a very select few Hemps, (I've had 2 pair with no problems) not due to the heavy weight or thickness of the wire. They were falling off due to problems with the Gimbals. Grado sent out new gimbals very quickly and free for home repair to anyone requesting them, or offered to fix them in Brooklyn if desired.

Regardless, I would suggest that build quality not be a major driving force for your decision. There is a 1 year warranty on all new product sold by authorized resellers which Grado takes very seriously. Just my 2 cents!!!

Anyway, good luck with your audio journey! :beerchug:

Leo

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #58,106 of 65,761

IMHO, the Hemps are extraordinarily musical and fun to listen to. They are not the last word on detail however, if that matters to you. As for comfort, you can tune both the comfort and the sound with a multitude of available pad choices, although I believe that most, including myself, agree that they sound best with the skinny little f pads, comfort aside.

That being said, I sold mine because, although I never experienced any issue with them, the fit n’ finish were not up to my personal standards. That’s just me, and there are many, many more than happy owners who would strenuously disagree, but I point it out only because you mentioned it. Take it for what it’s worth.

I’ll probably get kicked off the GFC thread for saying this, but if build quality is a concern, I’d go with Sennheiser - although even there, depending upon your amp, I’d probably steer you away from the 660 and toward the 650/6xx. Again, my personal preferences, not everyone would agree. With the relatively inexpensive CC ring mod, they do almost everything well, and some things great (like the types of music you mention). Plus, in my experience (my 25+ year old 580s are still going strong!), Sennheiser HD’s are virtually bulletproof.

I don’t know the 900 pro X, so no thoughts to offer, one way or the other.

NB: ALL of that is just my opinion - the only way for YOU to know for certain which is best for YOU is hands on (ears on?) experience, with YOUR amp and YOUR music.

Good luck, and enjoy!

IMHO, YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #58,107 of 65,761
Personally i dont get stressed with Grados build quality, i put them on and sound is everything what i’m interested.
I do understand that if it makes angry when you want to move with that garden hose. :D

Cable is just bad. Really bad. But i do my listening at the sofa so it does not bother me.

Grados sounds amazing, but at the same time build quality is just…
But i just love the wood though.

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #58,108 of 65,761
Thank you all for the very helpful feedback. I really appreciate it. I have spent hours doing research on these and have been comparing it to the other 2 headphones that I Iisted above. Sound quality is by far way more important than the build quality for me. From what I have read on the Hemp, it would be nice though if the stock pads didn't feel like sandpaper though. I could always replace them with more comfortable ones if I felt the need to.

I have made the decision to go ahead and buy the Hemps due to the fantastic mids, consistent natural audio, petty good sound stage, and having a slight warm sound while also being very easy to drive without the need of an amp/dac which will be nice when I am listening to them with my phone. I got a gift card that I will use on them so I will be getting them for $370 new which seems like a pretty good deal.

I think the Hemps will sound great with neo classical, ambient, and drone as well as some non bass heavy electronic stuff. These will be my first pair of Grado's. and I am very excited to try them out. I am now a part of the Grado family!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #58,109 of 65,761
Thank you all for the very helpful feedback. I really appreciate it. I have spent hours doing research on these and have been comparing it to the other 2 headphones that Iisted above. Sound quality is by far way more important than the build quality for me. From what I have read on the Hemp, it would be nice though the stock pads didn't feel like sandpaper buy they are

I have made the decision to go ahead and purchase the Hemps due to the fantastic mids, consistent "natural" audio, pretty good soundstage, and having a slight waund while also being very easy to drive without the need or an amp/dac which will be nice when I am listening to them with my phone.

I think the Hemps will sound great with neoclassical, ambient, and drone as well as some non bass heavy electronic stuff. These will be my first pair of Grado's and I am very excited to try them out. I am now a la
I’m sure you will love them. Enjoy!

Query: What’s up with all those long empty spaces in your posts? Are there missing photos, or are you inadvertently leaning on the space bar? Makes them harder to read, at least on my iPhone. Just wondering….

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #58,110 of 65,761
Query: What’s up with all those long empty spaces in your posts? Are there missing photos, or are you inadvertently leaning on the space bar? Makes them harder to read, at least on my iPhone. Just wondering….

Pictures of GS4000x lots of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back