Grado Fan Club!
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #58,081 of 65,770
Thank you all for your answers. You have been very kind and helpful. I absolutely love this thread. Have read the last 300 pages, in the last month, would love to have the time to read more but it is almost an impossible task.

It is already very, very hard to test any quality gear in my Country / city, let alone niche brands like Grado. Plus the models I'm interested the most (limited editions, Professional or the latest releases) are not sold by Companies like Amazon here in the EU, so unless there is some issue with the unit, a "trial" period is rare to be given, especially in these price ranges. I have to rely on your experience, feelings and thoughts to make my decision based on my best gut feeling.

I took a gamble with the Hemp. Without any decent comparison unit or experience, I could only rely on my ears to understand if I liked what I was listening. And so I did, but thought that it was related to the audio quality improvement over the low quality I was used to. Then I got the even expense Campfire Holocene IEM (I bought it at half the retail price) and realized that it was not the case since I was listening to a good quality unit, more technical than the HEMP but without giving me the same emotions. So, my gut feeling regarding the Hemp was right after all. I guess just pure luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Now, having the Hemp as my reference, I take special attention to the comparisons to other models and from what I understood until now, the GH2 is a better Hemp version but, IMO, no enough or maybe to close to justify a 700€ investment. The P500e seems more like a side leap instead of a forward one, unless you value bass the most. Again, something too close to the Hemp to justify the investment. The P2000e seems really special but totally out of my budget new and used is still expensive and the lack of warranty scares me (see reason below).

All the older units (mostly on the used market), especially the e versions, kind of "scares" me for 2 reasons. First because in case of issues with it no more warranty and in all honesty I don't think there is even a Grado representation in my Country where to send it to. Second because the lack of bass, compared to the hemp and X line, kind of puzzles me if I would like the signature sound.

I am really curious about the RX1 and RX2, maybe even more the RX2 but once again I fear if the leap from the Hemp is clear enough to justify the purchase? It is not clear to me in the case of these models. Also it is my understanding that in terms of bass the RX1 is the one that resembles more to the old Grado sound.

Finally it comes down to the new 1000x and 3000x. Despite being curious about the 1000x, it is the one least discussed here and cannot find much information about it. So not sure where it stands. Plus, for just more 500€ we are in the 3000x domain where all reviews and opinions seem to be stellar and gives the idea that, despite not being cheap, it delivers above its price range. I honestly got excited by all of your "reviews" but a blind 2000€ investment is not something to be taken lightly (at least for me) and that is why it created me natural doubts if I shouldn't go a little "lower" in my expectations and "gamble" with something a little cheaper.

Sorry about the rumble but this new hobby of mine is sure not a cheap one and even worse, a guessing one in my case most of the time. I really envy all those of you that are able to test or try gear before deciding. That would make my life much simpler for sure!:dt880smile:

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #58,083 of 65,770
Sorry about the rumble but this new hobby of mine is sure not a cheap one and even worse, a guessing one in my case most of the time. I really envy all those of you that are able to test or try gear before deciding. That would make my life much simpler for sure!:dt880smile:

I'm in the same boat. There is a fairly active hifi scene here including some hi-end gear manufacturers. But the only good headphone brick and mortar went online only a few years ago, and anyway I'm too squeamish to try on headphones. So I bought everything I have after reading as much as I could and asking a few questions. So far everything turned out well.

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed and objects to the fact it's almost impossible to find a review of anything that isn't a shill for scamazon, so headfi has been a very big help. When I find any review with scamazon links, I just close the browser tab without reading anything further.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #58,084 of 65,770
I'm in the same boat. There is a fairly active hifi scene here including some hi-end gear manufacturers. But the only good headphone brick and mortar went online only a few years ago, and anyway I'm too squeamish to try on headphones. So I bought everything I have after reading as much as I could and asking a few questions. So far everything turned out well.

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed and objects to the fact it's almost impossible to find a review of anything that isn't a shill for scamazon, so headfi has been a very big help. When I find any review with scamazon links, I just close the browser tab without reading anything further.**
** .…and as for Audio Science Review, 🙈🙉🙊🤢….

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #58,085 of 65,770

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed and objects to the fact it's almost impossible to find a review of anything that isn't a shill for scamazon, so headfi has been a very big help. When I find any review with scamazon links, I just close the browser tab without reading anything further.
I don't object to links, but I don't use them. Up here in Canada Amazon.ca doesn't sell any nice audio gear past entry level.
I just like to soak up every review I can find and balance them out. All my buying is blind so I research relentlessly and then hope for the best. :smile:

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #58,087 of 65,770
Thank you all for your answers. You have been very kind and helpful. I absolutely love this thread. Have read the last 300 pages, in the last month, would love to have the time to read more but it is almost an impossible task.

It is already very, very hard to test any quality gear in my Country / city, let alone niche brands like Grado. Plus the models I'm interested the most (limited editions, Professional or the latest releases) are not sold by Companies like Amazon here in the EU, so unless there is some issue with the unit, a "trial" period is rare to be given, especially in these price ranges. I have to rely on your experience, feelings and thoughts to make my decision based on my best gut feeling.

I took a gamble with the Hemp. Without any decent comparison unit or experience, I could only rely on my ears to understand if I liked what I was listening. And so I did, but thought that it was related to the audio quality improvement over the low quality I was used to. Then I got the even expense Campfire Holocene IEM (I bought it at half the retail price) and realized that it was not the case since I was listening to a good quality unit, more technical than the HEMP but without giving me the same emotions. So, my gut feeling regarding the Hemp was right after all. I guess just pure luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Now, having the Hemp as my reference, I take special attention to the comparisons to other models and from what I understood until now, the GH2 is a better Hemp version but, IMO, no enough or maybe to close to justify a 700€ investment. The P500e seems more like a side leap instead of a forward one, unless you value bass the most. Again, something too close to the Hemp to justify the investment. The P2000e seems really special but totally out of my budget new and used is still expensive and the lack of warranty scares me (see reason below).

All the older units (mostly on the used market), especially the e versions, kind of "scares" me for 2 reasons. First because in case of issues with it no more warranty and in all honesty I don't think there is even a Grado representation in my Country where to send it to. Second because the lack of bass, compared to the hemp and X line, kind of puzzles me if I would like the signature sound.

I am really curious about the RX1 and RX2, maybe even more the RX2 but once again I fear if the leap from the Hemp is clear enough to justify the purchase? It is not clear to me in the case of these models. Also it is my understanding that in terms of bass the RX1 is the one that resembles more to the old Grado sound.

Finally it comes down to the new 1000x and 3000x. Despite being curious about the 1000x, it is the one least discussed here and cannot find much information about it. So not sure where it stands. Plus, for just more 500€ we are in the 3000x domain where all reviews and opinions seem to be stellar and gives the idea that, despite not being cheap, it delivers above its price range. I honestly got excited by all of your "reviews" but a blind 2000€ investment is not something to be taken lightly (at least for me) and that is why it created me natural doubts if I shouldn't go a little "lower" in my expectations and "gamble" with something a little cheaper.

Same situation here. I think you can have a lot of fun with the lower price models. If you like the Hemp, that I read is pretty close to my 325x, maybe you will not enjoy the RS2x, wich I think is for a hardcore Grado fan. I went from the 80e, 80x, 325x and now RS2x and I can say I love all of them. And I don't judge them by their price, all of them have a personality that I love. Now I'm very curious about the 60x, imagining that maybe it's like the 80x with less bass. Anyway, in your case I think the lower models will be more easy to have a lot of fun without worrying about the money. And they all looks so great. :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #58,088 of 65,770
... I think you can have a lot of fun with the lower price models...Anyway, in your case I think the lower models will be more easy to have a lot of fun without worrying about the money. :)
That is what I am hoping for - fun. My SR80x should be showing up within the next 3 hours from Amazon. I'm sure to have something to say about this after a few days. Very excited. Stay tuned!!

Dec 29, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #58,089 of 65,770
That is what I am hoping for - fun. My SR80x should be showing up within the next 3 hours from Amazon. I'm sure to have something to say about this after a few days. Very excited. Stay tuned!!
What a nice reason to be waiting. Congrats and enjoy.

As I do believe in breaking in of certain gear, amps, speakers & of course headphones, the best is yet to come. They start by sounding quite good right out of the box. If you’re like me they will evolve and improve with playtime. (Music, not test tones).

Get those favorite tracks out and enjoy them anew.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #58,091 of 65,770

Congrats, the SR80x is super nice. I always keep going back to it. Let us know what you think about it. :)

Dec 29, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #58,093 of 65,770
I don't object to links, but I don't use them. Up here in Canada Amazon.ca doesn't sell any nice audio gear past entry level.
I just like to soak up every review I can find and balance them out. All my buying is blind so I research relentlessly and then hope for the best. :smile:
You have done quite well… ☑️

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #58,094 of 65,770
However, is it the case that I can get the closest to Hemps with RS1x, if i’m after bigger, more airy soundstage? Hemps soundsignature pleases me truly.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #58,095 of 65,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back