Grado Fan Club!
Nov 12, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #57,361 of 65,679
Thank you for that! I, too, value musicality over technicality. At this point in my life I’m not looking to recreate the ‘ultimate hifi experience’, I just want to enjoy my music, which means I need my equipment to stand aside and not draw too much attention to itself, one way or the other - definitely nothing too analytical, but it can’t be overly mushy either.
I sold my Hemps to help fund my GS3000x purchase. I really miss them. Bought them used earlier this week and will have them back in my collection in a few days! Great headphone if you like the Grado house sound....

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #57,363 of 65,679
Gear: Musicbee/Tidal-Thinkpad/Chromecast/iOS
Atrox V2/Topping E30,EarMen TR-Amp.
Beyerdynamic T1 G3
Grado: RS2e,SR325e,SR225e,
SR325i Gold
@Stevko I notice you have the Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Generation along with a few Grados - I've been eyeing up the T1 3rd Gen myself - how do you think it compares with / complements the Grados?

Nov 12, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #57,364 of 65,679
Oof, your offer is lower than mine. Let the price wars begin :thinking:
It's a pretty good deal with all the pads. If they don't sell in the next week, I will remove the pads.

Nov 12, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #57,365 of 65,679
Geez - now you guys have me second guessing the Hemps before they even arrive. I had the impression you all kinda liked them, but that they were warmer and more bass-centric than the average Grado (which is something I would like). Of course, I paid about half what I see them now listed for on CAM, and they are by no means intended to be my top headphone - more of a good-night kiss for the bedside system - so maybe I don’t feel that bad.

Thank you again @ekolite!
They are a very nice headphone. If I didn't have the GH2's, I would be keeping them. When I put my Beautiful Audio pads on them, they were very close to my GH2's.
Not a bad headphone at all, just redundant for my collection.

As I scale the collection back, every headphone has to bring its' own special thing to the party. I.E. I have two Focals, but one is open and one is closed.

I will try an X model in 2023.

Nov 12, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #57,366 of 65,679
They are a very nice headphone. If I didn't have the GH2's, I would be keeping them. When I put my Beautiful Audio pads on them, they were very close to my GH2's.
Not a bad headphone at all, just redundant for my collection.

As I scale the collection back, every headphone has to bring its' own special thing to the party. I.E. I have two Focals, but one is open and one is closed.

This is same story here. I am not looking to collect all Grado's, scaling what I have to not have too much of a similar sound. I prefer closed back headphones so the GH2 is my one and only open back. I have went through a number of Grado's, built a custom, but the GH2 checks it all for me.

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #57,367 of 65,679
Took a photo of the delineation between the cocobolo wood and hemp on the RS-1X.

I’ve been torn between the different “premium” Grado pad makers. Is Beautiful Audio considered the best?

06D3F485-43F8-4CCD-9D64-DD4CEF96E331.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #57,368 of 65,679
This is same story here. I am not looking to collect all Grado's, scaling what I have to not have too much of a similar sound. I prefer closed back headphones so the GH2 is my one and only open back. I have went through a number of Grado's, built a custom, but the GH2 checks it all for me.
…and that cocobolo…🥲

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #57,369 of 65,679
@Stevko I notice you have the Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Generation along with a few Grados - I've been eyeing up the T1 3rd Gen myself - how do you think it compares with / complements the Grados?
It is engaging. perfect bass,detailed. laid back.
A little bit dark.
Old recordings sounds good. Good build quality. nice cables. Hand made in Germany. Possible to buy spare parts..
some music sounds best on T1,other music is better with Grado.
I love both.
Grado offer something magic that other headphones can't.
I am Grado and Beyerdynamic fan.Both are good on they different ways

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #57,371 of 65,679
A little bit dark.
Old recordings sounds good. Good build quality. nice cables. Hand made in Germany. Possible to buy spare parts..
I love both.
I agree. I just wish that there were a high impedance (300 ohm 🙏) Grado that I could use with OTL tube h/p/a. If that means still no detachable cable, still sign me up!

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #57,372 of 65,679
A little bit dark.
I love both.

Thanks - good to hear that it's different as that's what I'm interested in. I tried HD660s but didn't find them that engaging - was hoping that T1.3 would add a little more velvety warmth.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #57,373 of 65,679
I agree. I just wish that there were a high impedance (300 ohm 🙏) Grado that I could use with OTL tube h/p/a. If that means still no detachable cable, still sign me up!
I find the Grado's awesome with Little Dot amps. I enjoyed my MKIII and now my MK9. And they are right at home on my warm/tubish V220.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #57,374 of 65,679
Took a photo of the delineation between the cocobolo wood and hemp on the RS-1X.

I’ve been torn between the different “premium” Grado pad makers. Is Beautiful Audio considered the best?

06D3F485-43F8-4CCD-9D64-DD4CEF96E331.jpeg
This will definitely fall into the "personal preferences" category, but they are for me. I find that no Grado pads come close (and I finally tried a real Grado G-Cush), in terms of comfort and even sound.
My GH2's are built for a small bowl pad, which the L-Cush are. I also enjoyed them on the Hemp's. I find the F-pads a little harsh/loud as the drivers are just millimeters from your ear canal. I always have to turn the volume down with the stock pads, but I am not a loud listener.

Not sure about every Grado, but if the models were built for a small bowl pad, I would definitely say yes.
But they are not cheap.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #57,375 of 65,679
Hemps arrived today. First impression, just streaming some live JGB, is very good - warm, open, full; just what I was hoping for. The oem F pads, of course, got a good soaking, so I am using the L pads from my RS-1e while I wait for the F pads to dry, but even with these L pads, they sound lovely. Tried the Vever jumbo pads briefly and they are definitely NOT a good match - ponderous and slow, high end completely gone. Who knows, perhaps I’ll decide the L’s are the pads to use?

BF43D58B-F841-4E72-8D0E-022E73909594.jpeg

Thanks again @ekolite - certainly seem worth the very reasonable price of admission.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back