Grado Fan Club!
Nov 12, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #57,376 of 65,787
Thanks - good to hear that it's different as that's what I'm interested in. I tried HD660s but didn't find them that engaging - was hoping that T1.3 would add a little more velvety warmth.
Warm, lovely bass and details.worth buying

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #57,377 of 65,787
Geez - now you guys have me second guessing the Hemps before they even arrive. I had the impression you all kinda liked them, but that they were warmer and more bass-centric than the average Grado (which is something I would like). Of course, I paid about half what I see them now listed for on CAM, and they are by no means intended to be my top headphone - more of a good-night kiss for the bedside system - so maybe I don’t feel that bad.

Thank you again @ekolite!
No
Hemps arrived today. First impression, just streaming some live JGB, is very good - warm, open, full; just what I was hoping for. The oem F pads, of course, got a good soaking, so I am using the L pads from my RS-1e while I wait for the F pads to dry, but even with these L pads, they sound lovely. Tried the Vever jumbo pads briefly and they are definitely NOT a good match - ponderous and slow, high end completely gone. Who knows, perhaps I’ll decide the L’s are the pads to use?

Thanks again @ekolite - certainly seem worth the very reasonable price of admission.
There they are. I think when you swap back and forth between the L pads and the f pads you will settle on the f pads. Smoother treble and more textured bass. And I think the mids might even have a bit more even presence if memory serves me correctly. I did get a good first impression with L pads and hemps. But first impressions, only so. Enjoy!

Nov 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #57,378 of 65,787
Geez - now you guys have me second guessing the Hemps before they even arrive. I had the impression you all kinda liked them, but that they were warmer and more bass-centric than the average Grado (which is something I would like). Of course, I paid about half what I see them now listed for on CAM, and they are by no means intended to be my top headphone - more of a good-night kiss for the bedside system - so maybe I don’t feel that bad.

Thank you again @ekolite!
Keep in mind. Differences is opinions on our own hearing is very subjective. Like what we hear is a sense, so is taste. And you know we all have different taste. I hope they provide you with years of enjoyment.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #57,379 of 65,787
Been a Grado fan for years. Just sent off a pair of HF2s and HF3s for service (HF2s seem to have a wiring issue that creeped up after 10 years. The HF3s I bought used and I think someone yanked them apart at some point. The left channel went silent). And as I was doing that I was reminded they have a bluetooth open headphone. I've tried several bluetooth headphones and have never liked one very much. Some are decent enough, but nothing has ever been great. I started eye balling the Focal Bathys but for another closed headphone I just can't justify it. So that got me eye balling the GW100 again... They've been unavailable for weeks so I've been waiting for a change there.

Well today I randomly checked again and they have a GW100x available. It's $25 more than the last revision, but I figured wth and ordered one. I've seen absolutely nothing announcing a release, but it's clearly on their site right now and in stock. I'm going to assume it's similar but based off the new driver also used in the HF3 I just sent off. Can't wait.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #57,380 of 65,787
I’ve been torn between the different “premium” Grado pad makers. Is Beautiful Audio considered the best?

06D3F485-43F8-4CCD-9D64-DD4CEF96E331.jpeg
I'm not sure there is a consensus on which is the "best". My favorite are the Shipibo. Shane D reps the Beautiful Audio, which I would probably rate as my #2. Strat1117 likes one of the Dekoni variations. Then there'a all the variations of the standard Grado pads. They all add different things and fill different needs.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #57,381 of 65,787
No

There they are. I think when you swap back and forth between the L pads and the f pads you will settle on the f pads. Smoother treble and more textured bass. And I think the mids might even have a bit more even presence if memory serves me correctly. I did get a good first impression with L pads and hemps. But first impressions, only so. Enjoy!
I did the same with Hemp: I’m an F-er 👍

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #57,383 of 65,787
Cleans the pads and makes them less scratchy.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #57,386 of 65,787
Just got home from my friend’s daughter’s wedding, and still wired up, so having a late night session with some live Dead and the now fully dry F pads. so far I agree with everything you say. I prefer the F’s to the L’s. Sadly, neither oem pad is especially comfortable, but boy do they sound yummy right now.
I'm not sure there is a consensus on which is the "best". My favorite are the Shipibo. Shane D reps the Beautiful Audio, which I would probably rate as my #2. Strat1117 likes one of the Dekoni variations. Then there'a all the variations of the standard Grado pads. They all add different things and fill different needs.
To be clear, I love the Dekoni custom velours on my RS-1e’s; BUT, I tried them on the Hemps and I do not like what they do to the sound (which is too bad, because the Dekonis are far more comfortable than any of the stock pads). So, it would seem, different pads for different Grados (which makes sense - there are at least 3 different oem pads, and I’m confident that’s based on voicing, not cost).
I did the same with Hemp: I’m an F-er 👍
I’m still playing around,of course, but I think I’m coming to the same conclusion - too bad they are not as comfy as the Dekonis (I might have mentioned that 🤔).
Strat- why do you soak your pads?
In this case it was simply to clean them because they had a previous owner but, yes, as @jonathan c points out, it will also make the L or G pads softer and les scratchy - the F pads are already pretty soft it seems.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #57,387 of 65,787
I agree. I just wish that there were a high impedance (300 ohm 🙏) Grado that I could use with OTL tube h/p/a. If that means still no detachable cable, still sign me up!
I use all of my Grados with OTL amps from Schiit Valhalla 2, Feliks Audio Espressivio, and a couple others in my closet which haven't been used lately but work great with Grados as well. YMMV

Leo

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #57,388 of 65,787
Think Felix is a good combo with Grado. Felix offer more power in the low end than other OTL amps

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #57,389 of 65,787
Think Felix is a good combo with Grado. Felix offer more power in the low end than other OTL amps
YES! My feelings exactly. Regardless that the Grado may sound best with the Feliks, they sound pretty darn good with my other OTL amps as well.

Leo

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #57,390 of 65,787
I should add, also, that while I do indeed prefer the velours best of the Dekoni offerings, I have not tried everything and it may turn out that I needed them primarily to help me transition from my long time Sennheiser HD580/600/650 references to the more immediate Grado signature. Now that I am becoming more and more acclimated to the Grados, I might actually prefer the oem L pads on the RS-1e (again, for sound, NOT for comfort). Just maybe the boys from Brooklyn know what they are doing.

Lest anybody accuse me of speaking with forked tongue, I have been going back and forth on the to tweak or not to tweak question for 30 years. My brother, also a veteran audiophile, is staunchly in favor. I sometimes have misgivings, and prefer to think that the reputable, manufacturer voices the product the way they want it to be heard, so you tweak is the equivalent of putting ketchup on a good steak. Ultimately, as is my tendency in such things, I’ve decided that tweaking can be good if used judiciously and in moderation. I was predisposed to pad rolling because the mostly leather Dekoni hybrids I use on the Sennheisers provided, to MY ears, some welcome focus and, on the 600’s in particular, a little needed support on the bottom. There are other Sennheiser aficionados who swear that the original velvet pads are the only way to go.

The Grados, however, are a horse of another color so, while, as stated above, I needed the Dekonis to help smooth the transition, I’m starting to rethink the whole pad-rolling thing - at least for the Grados with which I am now becoming familiar, the RS-1e and the Hemp. I know that for ZMF, pad rolling is an integral part of the culture. Audeze, just the opposite (although they have from time to time ‘improved’ their stock pads, and they now offer a vegan option, to the best of my knowledge they have always maintained that they have voiced their headphones to sound best with the oem, solid leather pads).

Anyway, there’s obviously no right or wrong answer, and as with anything as subjective as sonic preference you shouldn’t take my word or anyone else’s word as the gospel. You need to experiment and decide what works best for you, because we are, after all, just listening to music (although as I say that, it occurs yo me that recording professionals may need to be more objective in their equipment choices, but I have not the experience or training to speak to their very specific needs). I only offer my own observations and thoughts as fodder for consideration - and I make no pretense of being Caesar’s wife or of even having the answer of what will work for you.

Enough rambling for today. I was up listening into the wee hours and beyond last night, and I’m still half comatose.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back