Grado Fan Club!
Nov 11, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #57,346 of 65,787
To me, the PS500e is quite similar in sound to the limited edition all-cocobolo GH-2. Warm deep bass, luscious midrange and treble with natural transients. The RS-1x tonal balance, by comparison, is brighter than that of PS500e. If a particular recording itself is on the bright side: it’s doff the RS-1x, don the PS500e (when I am in a Grado mood).

Nov 11, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #57,347 of 65,787
Interesting. These might be sold out almost immediately just because of the exclusivity factor, though not having "PS500X" engraved on it is a buzzkill. But I'm not completely buying the story. They had to have considered this when testing the X-series driver. I think it might just sound worse than the PS500/PS500e, and they didn't want it to cannibalize RS2X sales. But if someone wants to take the chance...
I am pretty sure that the amount made and available will be very minimal and that this will end up being a short conversation for a very limited time. I wonder what it sounds like using an x based driver. I have not seen what this might look like. Is there any additional info on Facebook?, not a member.

There had been no intention of coming out with any new PS series after the x based models started shipping. The story makes sense to me if they found that they had some metal cups to use.

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #57,348 of 65,787
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #57,349 of 65,787
To me, the PS500e is quite similar in sound to the limited edition all-cocobolo GH-2. Warm deep bass, luscious midrange and treble with natural transients. The RS-1x tonal balance, by comparison, is brighter than that of PS500e. If a particular recording itself is on the bright side: it’s doff the RS-1x, don the PS500e (when I am in a Grado mood).
Grados are usually just waiting for your mood to hit so the addiction is complete..... (and overwhelming)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #57,350 of 65,787
Interesting. These might be sold out almost immediately just because of the exclusivity factor, though not having "PS500X" engraved on it is a buzzkill. But I'm not completely buying the story. They had to have considered this when testing the X-series driver. I think it might just sound worse than the PS500/PS500e, and they didn't want it to cannibalize RS2X sales. But if someone wants to take the chance...
How to buy outside US?

Nov 11, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #57,352 of 65,787
So, after a month or so of hemming and hawing and what have you, the RS-1e’s finally clicked for me today. Didn’t change anything (I had settled on the Dekoni custom velour at least a week ago, and I also changed the Grado supplied extension for a mogami/furutech extension a week or so ago, but I WILL NOT get drawn into a cable debate - I changed because I had it, it’s shorter and it’s easier to handle) but either the correct pathways finally developed in my brain, or the two new albums I received from FedEx (Amber Rubarth Live and Patricia Barber Clique) are just in the “Grado wheelhouse,” but for the first time ever I clearly preferred the Grados over my beloved Sennheisers. I’m not going to over-analyze at the risk of losing the magic, but Wow! More presence, more bass, more treble, more tonal color - the whole enchilada. It may just be these records, or the humidity, or a brain lesion, and it may not last but, for the moment, my world is upside down. 🙃

And tomorrow (11/12), the Hemps I bought last weekend from Messr. @ekolite are due to arrive.

Hoo-ha!

Nov 11, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #57,353 of 65,787
Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

Nov 11, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #57,354 of 65,787
Put my Hemp's on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) today along with several pairs of pads.
I liked them just fine but they didn't exceed the GH2's, to me, in any way.

I think that in 2023 I will be grabbing a set of of the X-Drive 'phones. Either the RSX1's or the GS3000x's, depending on my cash flow. Or, maybe something interesting will show up on the used market. :smile:

Nov 12, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #57,356 of 65,787
Put my Hemp's on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) today along with several pairs of pads.
Oof, your offer is lower than mine. Let the price wars begin :thinking:

Nov 12, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #57,358 of 65,787
I did the same, the GH2 is superior to the Hemp.. in every way.

Oof, your offer is lower than mine. Let the price wars begin :thinking:
Geez - now you guys have me second guessing the Hemps before they even arrive. I had the impression you all kinda liked them, but that they were warmer and more bass-centric than the average Grado (which is something I would like). Of course, I paid about half what I see them now listed for on CAM, and they are by no means intended to be my top headphone - more of a good-night kiss for the bedside system - so maybe I don’t feel that bad.

Thank you again @ekolite!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #57,359 of 65,787
Geez - now you guys have me second guessing the Hemps before they even arrive. I had the impression you all kinda liked them, but that they were warmer and more bass-centric than the average Grado (which is something I would like). Of course, I paid about half what I see them now listed for on CAM, and they are by no means intended to be my top headphone - more of a good-night kiss for the bedside system - so maybe I don’t feel that bad.

Thank you again @ekolite!
Don’t know what is yours preferences about headphones but Hemp became in two weeks my alltime favourite and best headphone.
Driven by iPhone with Apple’s dongle.👀

My preferences is musicality, how headphone gives out music to you.

I have had much ”better” and expensive combos but none of them haven’t gave me same feelings from music than Hemp. Not even close.
I just love Hemps.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #57,360 of 65,787
Don’t know what is yours preferences about headphones but Hemp became in two weeks my alltime favourite and best headphone.
Driven by iPhone with Apple’s dongle.👀

My preferences is musicality, how headphone gives out music to you.

I have had much ”better” and expensive combos but none of them haven’t gave me same feelings from music than Hemp. Not even close.
I just love Hemps.
Thank you for that! I, too, value musicality over technicality. At this point in my life I’m not looking to recreate the ‘ultimate hifi experience’, I just want to enjoy my music, which means I need my equipment to stand aside and not draw too much attention to itself, one way or the other - definitely nothing too analytical, but it can’t be overly mushy either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back