Grado Fan Club!
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #57,391 of 65,796
:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #57,392 of 65,796
I sometimes have misgivings, and prefer to think that the reputable, manufacturer voices the product the way they want it to be heard

I do agree that, to a certain extent, if a manufacturer says: "this is how they're meant to sound" that's fair enough; however, for me the other piece of the puzzle is comfort. Do I actually enjoy having them on my head for an hour? That, way more than sound, was my major motivation for 'pad rolling' with my Hemps. With the stock pads (F), I liked the sound but didn't look forward to wearing them. With the Dekoni velours, I really do.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #57,393 of 65,796
325e sound so pleasant!
Soon black friday again! Bought 2 pair Grado last year! Miss a 1000 in my collection. Maybe I can pick up a 1000e for half price this year…. :)

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #57,394 of 65,796
325e sound so pleasant!
Soon black friday again! Bought 2 pair Grado last year! Miss a 1000 in my collection. Maybe I can pick up a 1000e for half price this year…. :)
I am on the hunt for a deal on RS series or maybe a PS500e or x (!)

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #57,395 of 65,796
I am on the hunt for a deal on RS series or maybe a PS500e or x (!)

I found an ad for a PS500E, but I won't be able to verify it for some months.

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #57,396 of 65,796
Months ago, when the new RS came out, there were many ads for PS500's locally, but they dried up.

Missed a good local deal on a GH4... snooze ya lose... lol

Maybe I just have to cool it for a while and keep enjoying my GS1000 and SR325x and my other 30 headphones

Nov 13, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #57,397 of 65,796
I do agree that, to a certain extent, if a manufacturer says: "this is how they're meant to sound" that's fair enough; however, for me the other piece of the puzzle is comfort. Do I actually enjoy having them on my head for an hour? That, way more than sound, was my major motivation for 'pad rolling' with my Hemps. With the stock pads (F), I liked the sound but didn't look forward to wearing them. With the Dekoni velours, I really do.
Huh? Perhaps you did not read my post from yesterday (#57,378), in which I stated, among other things:
To be clear, I love the Dekoni custom velours on my RS-1e’s; BUT, I tried them on the Hemps and I do not like what they do to the sound (which is too bad, because the Dekonis are far more comfortable than any of the stock pads). So, it would seem, different pads for different Grados (which makes sense - there are at least 3 different oem pads, and I’m confident that’s based on voicing, not cost).

I’m still playing around,of course, but I think I’m coming to the same conclusion - too bad they are not as comfy as the Dekonis (I might have mentioned that 🤔).
[Emphasis added].

I’m not saying you didn’t make the right decision FOR YOU, and you’re free to disagree with my conclusion (as I also stated quite clearly in the post you quoted), but please don’t put words in my mouth (or disregard what I’ve already said) in the process. You make it sound like I completely failed to even consider the comfort question, notwithstanding that I mentioned it, even complained about it, repeatedly. Nevertheless, again, FOR ME, the sonics issue outweighs the comfort issue.

EDIT: I see you only have 5 posts, so I’ll assume it was an honest mistake that you came into the middle of an ongoing conversation without looking to see what had already been said. I was out very late at a wedding last night and didn’t get much sleep, so I apologize if I’m even more cranky than usual.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #57,398 of 65,796
EDIT: I see you only have 5 posts, so I’ll assume it was an honest mistake that you came into the middle of an ongoing conversation without looking to see what had already been said. I was out very late at a wedding last night and didn’t get much sleep, so I apologize if I’m even more cranky than usual.

No - I'm sorry - I wasn't intending to criticise anything about you or your post. I apologise unreservedly if it came across that way. I was just voicing my opinion (perhaps redundantly) that whilst a manufacturer might be justified in specifying how they should sound, they are on shakier ground if they try to specify how they should feel. Which is probably the same point you were making.

I can readily imagine Grado investing considerable time deciding on the tuning of the 'phones and which pad suits that tuning best (as opposed to just grabbing a pad and saying "that'll do") and I am minded to respect that; I'm not convinced they spend quite as much time testing out how comfortable they are to wear...

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #57,399 of 65,796
Nov 14, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #57,400 of 65,796
No - I'm sorry - I wasn't intending to criticise anything about you or your post. I apologise unreservedly if it came across that way. I was just voicing my opinion (perhaps redundantly) that whilst a manufacturer might be justified in specifying how they should sound, they are on shakier ground if they try to specify how they should feel. Which is probably the same point you were making.

I can readily imagine Grado investing considerable time deciding on the tuning of the 'phones and which pad suits that tuning best (as opposed to just grabbing a pad and saying "that'll do") and I am minded to respect that; I'm not convinced they spend quite as much time testing out how comfortable they are to wear...
No argument there. Comfort vs SQ is a big issue with Grados; indeed, the very one I am struggling with right now. I’ve kept my velours for the RS-1e (and may yet buy a second pair for the Hemps, although, as I think about it, switching is so easy with Grados and you can only use one pair at a time, so just the one pair would do for both), but the heart of the ‘issue’, I think, is that there is a choice to be made - do you think the change in SQ for the better or worse and, if for the worse, is the additional comfort still worth the price of admission (I suppose one could also reasonably argue there is no change in SQ, but that has not been my experience)? My point, however inartfully crafted, is simply that there’s no right or wrong answer to that, any more than there is a ‘correct’ favorite flavor of ice cream. Would that there was an option that was as comfortable as the Dekonis with no discernible effect on SQ, we’d probably all just buy that and be done.

Anyway, no need for apologies - I was tired and cranky (and said so), but I didn’t feel like going back and declawing my post. Hence, my acknowledgment and apology in the subsequent Edit I inserted at the end.

Welcome to head-fi, and don’t mind me. As I approach my 63rd birthday (and my 51st year in the hobby, if you count the little Panasonic all in one tt/receiver with matching, cylindrical bookshelf speakers for my twelfth birthday as my entry point), I draw nearer and nearer to actualizing the curmudgeonly old man I’ve always striven to be!

4E6352BD-F1B2-44D5-A9FF-4182B4750AF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #57,403 of 65,796
That was fast... congrats

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #57,404 of 65,796
YES! My feelings exactly. Regardless that the Grado may sound best with the Feliks, they sound pretty darn good with my other OTL amps as well.

Leo
I was fortunate to have a Euforia in my possession for several months. I found it did extremely well with almost all my standard phones including my Grados. I miss it mucho. On my short list as I continue to otherwise downsize.

Attachments

• 3EB8BB33-CD64-4822-A1E2-8993096F64B6.jpeg
    3EB8BB33-CD64-4822-A1E2-8993096F64B6.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back